PDA

View Full Version : Melt Value Calculator

Bill
16th November 2006, 18:15
Hey everyone,

I found this link and thought it would be a good one to post here.

Enjoy!

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver_coin_calculator.html

goldminer
23rd August 2007, 19:50
Be careful using the coinflation melt calculator...it uses the amounts of silver that a coin contains when struck (i.e. uncirculated).

This means that the melt value amount that the calculator reports will always be somwhat higher then the melt value of circulated coins which are worn = less metal than uncirculated ones.

JesterJay
14th January 2008, 00:40
That's right,
Which means my 1982 penny is only worth $.0217 and not $.0219!
Egads, I feel so poor.
Where, oh where, has my 2/100ths of a cent gone?
JesterJay

Be careful using the coinflation melt calculator...it uses the amounts of silver that a coin contains when struck (i.e. uncirculated).

This means that the melt value amount that the calculator reports will always be somwhat higher then the melt value of circulated coins which are worn = less metal than uncirculated ones.

goldminer
21st January 2008, 07:28
Joke today but a word to the wise: tomorrow the weight difference between uncirculated and circulated coins may not be a joking matter.

Here's a bulletin if you don't know it: Dealers ship lots of 90% to each other all the time and ship to refineries. ALL BUYERS WEIGH THE LOTS THEY RECEIVE AND PAY ACCORDING TO WEIGHT...PERIOD.

The proverbial "average" circulated coin is hypothetical: it will never be seen because it's precise weight will never be known.

When struck, $1000.00 face value 90% silver dimes, quarters, and halves, contained 723.4 ounces of .999+ (.999 purity was the minimum acceptable fineness) fine silver.

Because it is not feasible to weigh every circulated 90% coin, a number of randomly selected bags of $1000.00 face circulated coins were weighed and it was determined that on average, those bages contained 715 oz. of pure silver = a difference of 8.4 oz. per $1k face. The 715 oz. of pure silver per $1K face value bags has been widely excepted as a market norm used to determine the value of "average" circulated coins.

The (now viewed) small difference in weight between an uncirculated and "average" circulated 90% (say) dime, is inconsequental, given we are talking about a single dime, and the current spot price of silver.

An opposite view will be taken in the future if/when silver reaches the 100-1000-plus dollar spot that many people are projecting...and rather than a single dime, they're talking about the value of silver contained in 10 to 1000 dollar face lots of the coins. To this end the value of 90% coins will be determined (and traded) by weight rather then face-value.

This is why today in some folks opinion, that it is important (1) not to pay too much for significantly worn coins, and (2) only acquire coins that do not show significant wear (i.e. Roosevelt vs. mercury dimes, most recent dated Washington quarters, and Franklin vs. Walking Lib. and '64 Kennedy half-dollars.

Just something somebody might want to think about.

JesterJay
14th February 2008, 16:03
I was only joking about the penny. No matter what you buy, worn coins or near perfect rounds, one MUST always get the best deal possible.

I am a tight-ankle from the word "GO!" and will bargain with the best of them.

However, I think anyone who buys NOW and doesn't wait 'til $30, $40, or higher dollar silver is getting the "Deal of the Century!" due to the very fact that silver has to skyrocket well beyond what we see today. Sooner or later.

So buy sooner. Smile later.
JesterJay

SilverTrees
17th March 2008, 22:11
I agree...always look for a DEAL.

SilverHawk
1st June 2008, 05:58
I wrote an EXCEL Silver Calculator program, that is very cool. Cooler than the link above.

Is there a way I can send it here so others can download it and use it?

You need Excel, a Windows Office program to use it.

Thanks,
SH

steve henshaw
1st July 2008, 22:25
pardon my innocence
but what about sterling silver items
I have a number of pieces that I bought and what do you folks think of that
as a future investment?

hiyosilver
1st July 2008, 22:55
pardon my innocence
as a future investment?

I'd look into converting it into a more liquid (spendable) form of bullion. I think that the liquidity of that will become more difficult and expensive as time goes by. IMO My reasoning behind this is, the best value for sterling is for the product it is, but in a faltering economy the lesser market there will be for it too. Perhaps advertise it as "perfect wedding gift" or something. Actually, in my opinion though, a silver bar would be the perfect wedding gift....:D

radioone
13th July 2008, 20:36
I wrote an EXCEL Silver Calculator program, that is very cool. Cooler than the link above.

Thanks,
SH

Love to take a look at that if you end up posting it.....

easygoing
29th July 2008, 18:58
Joke today but a word to the wise: tomorrow the weight difference between uncirculated and circulated coins may not be a joking matter.

The proverbial "average" circulated coin is hypothetical: it will never be seen because it's precise weight will never be known.

When struck, $1000.00 face value 90% silver dimes, quarters, and halves, contained 723.4 ounces of .999+ (.999 purity was the minimum acceptable fineness) fine silver.

Because it is not feasible to weigh every circulated 90% coin, a number of randomly selected bags of $1000.00 face circulated coins were weighed and it was determined that on average, those bages contained 715 oz. of pure silver = a difference of 8.4 oz. per $1k face. The 715 oz. of pure silver per $1K face value bags has been widely excepted as a market norm used to determine the value of "average" circulated coins.

The (now viewed) small difference in weight between an uncirculated and "average" circulated 90% (say) dime, is inconsequental, given we are talking about a single dime, and the current spot price of silver.

An opposite view will be taken in the future if/when silver reaches the 100-1000-plus dollar spot that many people are projecting...and rather than a single dime, they're talking about the value of silver contained in 10 to 1000 dollar face lots of the coins. To this end the value of 90% coins will be determined (and traded) by weight rather then face-value.

This is why today in some folks opinion, that it is important (1) not to pay too much for significantly worn coins, and (2) only acquire coins that do not show significant wear (i.e. Roosevelt vs. mercury dimes, most recent dated Washington quarters, and Franklin vs. Walking Lib. and '64 Kennedy half-dollars.

Just something somebody might want to think about.

I saw what the guy stated as a roll of "fake" Morgans worn and all and it scared the he1l out of me. He wanted to show evryone for some reason or another.

He himself was a shaky person if you asked me. We were at a gunshow where you quite often see coins on display. I was asking him the difference and he was rambling off a bunch of what I thought was nonsemse. He didn't even have a "real" one to compare them to.

I bought another morgan and took them over to see the difference under his 6 power glass. I could not tell the diff with feel, sound or eye. I don't know if he was trying to scare others not to buy any that came through the door.

I went home and weighed mine. Most peace and morgans were 26.7 to 26.9 grams. My SAE were 31.3 to 31.4. My silver rounds were 31.1 to 31.3. I did find a morgan that weighed 27.2 and sounded just like silver but the color was off..along with the look.

What is the proper weight of these coins and could the SAE vary by dates 2-3 grams out of the wrappers? I did find the ones from littleton has diff wrapper weights by 2 grams. Thanks.

goldminer
23rd August 2008, 22:16
"...What is the proper weight of these coins and could the SAE vary by dates 2-3 grams out of the wrappers? I did find the ones from littleton has diff wrapper weights by 2 grams..."

Silver Eagle coins are struck by the U.S. government mint and contain 1 troy oz. of 99.9% (.999 or 999) fine silver and overall are comprised of 99.93% and .0007 copper. The copper is alloyed to make the coin more durable to withstand the rigors of circulation if ever called to serve in that capacity. As a result of adding copper, an Eagle weighs slightly more than 1 Troy oz. = 31.1035 grams/g = 480 grains/gr).

Silver "rounds" are struck by private mints. A legitimate 1 oz. round contains 1 Troy oz. of (normally) 99.9%/.999 fine silver...through there are some that are "sterling" (92.5%/.925 fine).

This said, "pefect" does not exist. Specifically I mean that if a person could get a scale that weighs to an accuracy of (say) quintrillions then no two Eagles or rounds would weigh exactly the same. As a result all coins and bullion items are produced to fall in a certain range of weight called "tolerances".

The only metals I acquire are single different 1 oz. silver rounds that I like. I collect them. Several years ago I randomly picked and weighed 20 different 1 oz. silver rounds on a scale that was accurate to the hundredth's of a grain. Only a couple weighed the same to the hundredth of a grain and all of the others were different. Only one weighed less then 480 gr = 31.035 g. and it's weight was 479.02 grains = .08 hundredths shy of 1 troy oz.

I don't know what the U.S. mint's weight tolerance for ASE's is but you could probably find out if you check with them. They purchase the 1 oz. silver planchets from the private sector to make ASE's, and since "perfect" doesn't exist I would bet there's a weight tolerance in planchet specifications that they hold the private producers to. And I doubt that much if any silver is lost from a planchet when it is converted to ASE form.

I wouldn't get hung up on a little bit of weight. Relevant to counterfeit coins, the best thing to do is to become familiar with the details of a legitimate coin and then learn how to identify counterfeits by how they virtually always differ a bit in detail.

Generally under a 10X glass, a counterfeit coin will not show sharp edges to letters, numbers, and other features. There also are frequently short thin-line stryations that run onto the surface of the coin from the rim, and/or small indent areas on the surface and/or little "bubbles"or beads....raised areas on the surface.

Counterfeit coins that are produce by casting always have poor appearance and are easy to identify by someone who is familiar with a legitimate coin and takes the time and effort to study the suspected counterfeit. Better counterfeit coins are produced by striking a planchet like government mints do.

When a counterfeiter produces a die it has small imperfections that the counterfeiter trys to correct using small tools that virtually always remove too much metal that in turn shows up on the coin when it is struck.

There are some very good counterfeit coins out there that are difficult for a novice to detect but these are generally high dollar collectables...coins with low mintages that are scarce to rare. But a person acquiring for the sake of bullion wants to avoid coins with numismatic value so they're of no concern.

easygoing
17th September 2008, 18:15
Thanks for the response. I lost my question in all the posts. It was very helpful. I also learned if it is not marked 999 0r 925 most likely it is not silver..even if it has a serial number on it.
What is the best way to test silver? I bought the silver acid kit and they are iffy. thanks again, easygoing :D

research24
6th October 2008, 17:02
Interesting. Can anyone explain why a silver eagle is so much bigger than say an Engelhard round, even though they weight the same?

JesterJay
6th October 2008, 17:15
Big deep rim on the larger diameter Eagle. The 'Spector is almost a flat blank.
JesterJay

Interesting. Can anyone explain why a silver eagle is so much bigger than say an Engelhard round, even though they weight the same?

goldminer
31st October 2008, 05:59
"...Can anyone explain why a silver eagle is so much bigger than say an Engelhard round, even though they weight the same?...

They don't weigh the same. Prospectors contain 1 oz. pure silver; Eagles also contain one oz. of pure silver but additionally have copper alloyed to make them durable to withstand the rigors of circulation should they ever serve in that capacity.

The alloyed copper makes Eagle coins larger then any 1 oz. pure silver round.

sunsetcliff
19th December 2008, 15:07
"...Can anyone explain why a silver eagle is so much bigger than say an Engelhard round, even though they weight the same?...

They don't weigh the same. Prospectors contain 1 oz. pure silver; Eagles also contain one oz. of pure silver but additionally have copper alloyed to make them durable to withstand the rigors of circulation should they ever serve in that capacity.

The alloyed copper makes Eagle coins larger then any 1 oz. pure silver round.

I love this forumn. So then the eagles would in theory be more durable.

I agree with what you are saying on worn coins. I did dimes on ebay - badly worn. I thought- thats why they call it junk silver. LOL.

I do think the day is coming where the weight measures will become more precise. and demanded. they can measure atomic particles. the time down to a fraction of a second.

Im thinking that to the silver collector, that variety is good- tho stick to the tried and trues of the hobby.

Silver is down today. An opportunity to grab some more.

goldminer
22nd December 2008, 13:59
"...I did dimes on ebay - badly worn. I thought- thats why they call it junk silver. "

The term "Junk silver" has it origin in the ranks of coin dealers & collectors. To these folks any coin that didn't have numismatic value (for whatever reason: high mintage numbers, damage, wear, etc.) was "junk". Junk silver coins were those that had no collectors value yet had some worth determined by the value of the silver it containes.

hiyosilver
23rd December 2008, 00:34
I love this forumn. So then the eagles would in theory be more durable.

I agree with what you are saying on worn coins. I did dimes on ebay - badly worn. I thought- thats why they call it junk silver. LOL.

Wrong....The ASE has only a very small amount of copper added to make it more durable than pure silver, but far less durable than "junk" silver which has 10% copper.

Dmax
22nd January 2009, 07:52
"I wrote an EXCEL Silver Calculator program, that is very cool. Cooler than the link above."

Oh, I wish I had a cool silver calculator program ;)

SeekrBrnEvryMin
24th April 2009, 18:57
I'd look into converting it into a more liquid (spendable) form of bullion. I think that the liquidity of that will become more difficult and expensive as time goes by. IMO My reasoning behind this is, the best value for sterling is for the product it is, but in a faltering economy the lesser market there will be for it too. Perhaps advertise it as "perfect wedding gift" or something. Actually, in my opinion though, a silver bar would be the perfect wedding gift....:D

Dude, that makes no sense. Sterling is what, 92%? What's wrong with that in a faltering economy? Silver is silver...wait, are you talking easily-negotiable coins, rounds, SHTF scenario?

goldminer
2nd July 2009, 08:08
"...Sterling is what, 92%? What's wrong with that in a faltering economy? Silver is silver..."

What's wrong with it is that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% of sterling is not marked by weight. This means that folks can't know what a piece is worth without weighing it, must have it assayed to know if it's really "sterling" (92.5% silver), and then find a buyer who will certainly discount the purchase price because of the element of risk and the need to expend time and energy getting it assayed and sold &/or refined which is an additional expenditure of time and money.

Sterling is fine if you can get it cheap, but then IMO needs to as quickly as possible, to be converted to credible items of bullion that are marked with purity and weight...or 90% silver U.S. coins if living in the U.S. &/or 80% silver coins if living in Canada.

Argyria
5th July 2009, 23:55
"Joke today but a word to the wise: tomorrow the weight difference between uncirculated and circulated coins may not be a joking matter."

That's why I tend to cherrypick my junk silver from my dealer when he's in a good enough mood to let me.

Cash2Riches
13th September 2009, 13:10
It's definitely a fast way of getting a ruff estimation for your coins, or ones your looking to purchase, I use it all the time, its a great site.

DaBrownsRPhat
23rd September 2009, 10:03

I'd get married today if bars were going to be wedding gifts. :cool:

JimBo
15th October 2009, 15:56
How would uncirculated silver eagles calculate?

JesterJay
15th October 2009, 18:59
To find out this amount I check ebay or better yet go to my LCS (Local Coin Shop) and ask them what they are paying for UNC Eagles.
JesterJay

Goldbrix
4th January 2010, 16:26
That's right,
Egads, I feel so poor....
JesterJay

You may feel even poorer depending on that penny.
Half the year was copper, half was the zinc clad new version. :o oops:

FWIW,
DYODD,
Gb

Goldbrix
4th January 2010, 16:32

Most holders, and retailers want a premium over spot if they are willing to sell.
If you're selling under duress you should get spot since there is a demand
for them.
Calculate value at spot X's T.oz.

TexasGold
7th January 2010, 13:48
Actual weight vs. struck weight may be important to those who plan to trade it in large amounts to those who deal it. And then there are those who have junk silver for 'barter money' should the dollar ever collapse or in the event we're forced to use an implanted chip to buy the groceries. Whatever the circumstance, the barter value will be determined on the street and I'm sure the amount of wear of the coin will not matter to those receiving it. If you want it for that reason then you should buy 90% coins at the best value and appearence or wear wouldn't matter.

nordev
20th February 2010, 22:52
That would be called Deflation right? :D

That's right,
Egads, I feel so poor.
JesterJay

soniyajack
22nd March 2010, 02:39
What the US gummint is saying in essence is, "you can use (borrow) our coins (ownership) but if their intrinsic value ever exceeds their face value, don't even think about melting them down for the metal content".
Something to ponder - Gresham's Law states: "Money overvalued by the State will drive money undervalued by the State out of circulation."
This phenomenon has happened eventually to all fiat currencies throughout history. Now it's happening to the formerly almighty US Dollar.

ingoldwetrust
24th March 2010, 20:27
Try this Junk Silver Calculator (http://www.in-gold-we-trust.info) - it has all the US Coins programmed in and in the process of adding Canadian and European. Re Uncirc and circ silver content - my local dealer reckons you only lose about $5 worth of silver per $1000 face bag

Sakata
24th March 2010, 20:43
Try this Junk Silver Calculator (http://www.in-gold-we-trust.info) - it has all the US Coins programmed in and in the process of adding Canadian and European. Re Uncirc and circ silver content - my local dealer reckons you only lose about $5 worth of silver per $1000 face bag

This is getting old. I just read three message ina row, all by you, with exactly the same message. You only need to post it once.

silver.wolf
4th May 2010, 09:53
Thanks! That will come in handy!

Caitlyn.Long45
17th July 2010, 15:18
The newest and hottest Canadian stock newsletter is here. Subscribe now
With 400% gaining success. This one is right for you.

http://www.canadapicks.info

lenco12
18th September 2010, 01:23

That's right,
Egads, I feel so poor.

mrnt1984
19th October 2010, 19:18
how come they can post links spammers!!

obama649
4th March 2011, 09:50
pardon my innocence
as a future investment?

I'd look into converting it into a more liquid (spendable) form of bullion. I think that the liquidity of that will become more difficult and expensive as time goes by. IMO My reasoning behind this is, the best value for sterling is for the product it is, but in a faltering economy the lesser market there will be for it too. Perhaps advertise it as "perfect wedding gift" or something.

adammartin
22nd April 2011, 04:11

Thanks,
SH

Thanks ! great work buddy ! we are waiting for this..........and we have Excel to use this......I think there is an option to add link here..........

chin2
23rd April 2011, 02:05
does someone know how to calculate $.oz. into rupee/kilo

maplesilverbug
23rd April 2011, 03:13

_______

JesterJay
25th April 2011, 00:51
This link lets you how many rupees per dollar.
Currently 44.4648

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=INR

That would mean that the current $ per oz. can be converted to rupees per ounce by multiplying by 44.4648 (current conversion rate, subject to change) then multiplying by about 32.15 troy ounces/ kilogram.

SOOOOO......
Currently at $48.50/troy oz equals 2156.54 rupees/troy oz x 32.15 troy oz./kilo = 69332.85 rupees/kilogram.

Unless I goofed something in the early morning fog,
JesterJay

gollumthegreat
1st August 2011, 05:57
Atmospheric Pressure can make your stack heavier.

jerrytim
9th November 2011, 23:15
I read it i like it very much.

itmtrader
10th November 2011, 04:10
Nice link Thanks for the providing link

Azlen
14th November 2011, 04:14
This is a cool calculator for junk silver. Sterling silver in pounds, minus refining costs. http://www.midstatesrecycling.com/refining_schedule/silver-metallics-80-95-sterling-silver
Also on this site one of the best gold calculators I've seen http://www.midstatesrecycling.com/karat_kalc When I buy and sell gold which I do on the side sometimes, usually to buy more silver LOL. I use the above gold calculator to know what I'm going to get, and I use this calculator to decide what I'm going to pay http://www.goldfellow.com/gold-prices2.aspx# I know this isn't a gold site. But I'm sure it comes up every now and then. I'm not in the gold business but the second calculator I've found to be the most fair to pay people since it pays about 4 times more than what cash for gold pays, or some of the bigger companies pay, and it still leaves room for the small guy (us) to make a little extra cash. If I've posted this in the wrong place or broke the rules in some way just let me know and it won't happen again. I'm just not sure what types of links I can, and can't post.

majortom2203
14th July 2012, 19:02
Hi

Another great gold and silver calculator app is the Gold Bug Calculator, it has a database of hundreds of coins including Junk Silver from the US and all around the world.

Xizang
14th July 2012, 21:31
WHY do coins and round bullion consistently sell for way over spot on ebay?

GWealth
15th July 2012, 13:34
Always enjoyed going to coinflation. Didn't know they had this online tool. Looks really handy.

GWealth
15th July 2012, 13:35
WHY do coins and round bullion consistently sell for way over spot on ebay?

Because that is probably the actual value that people are willing to pay for. :cool:

Xizang
15th July 2012, 21:09
Because that is probably the actual value that people are willing to pay for. :cool:

Maybe. But I'm now seeing round bullion like Silver Eagles selling on ebay consistently for $5 to $6 over spot. The past couple days, spot price was $27.25 (Friday and over the weekend) and dozens and dozens of Silver Eagles selling in quantities of 1,2,3,4, and 5 for no less than $31.50. Mostly $32 and up.

Local gold and silver shop in Lincoln, Neb. is quoting $3 over spot. But on top of that, there's a 7% sales tax. And a paper trail. So there you go. Screwed either way.