PDA

View Full Version : Bailout Plan Revealed

Kelly
28th September 2008, 17:36
Okay folks, this is what the senate will be voting on. Do correct me if I am wrong, but as I look at just who is going to be on that oversight board, I see not one single elected official! Isn't every damn one of them an appointee? So where is the senatorial oversight?

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/28/news/economy/Sunday_talks_bailout/index.htm?cnn=yes

Rescue bill revealed

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) --

The federal government would provide as much as $700 billion in a far-reaching plan to rescue the nation's troubled financial system, according to a draft of the proposed bill obtained by CNN.

The legislation is still being negotiated and elements of the bill could still change.

The core of the bill is based on Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's request for authority to purchase troubled assets from financial institutions so banks can resume lending and so the credit markets, now virtually frozen, can begin to operate more normally.

But Democrats and Republicans - concerned about the potential taxpayer cost - have added several conditions and restrictions. Key negotiators for the financial rescue plan will be busy trying to line up votes on Capitol Hill on Sunday to support the accord they reached soon after midnight.

Among the provisions of the draft bill:

• The $700 billion would be disbursed in stages, with $250 billion made available immediately for the Treasury's use.

• Curbs will be placed on the compensation of executives at companies that sell mortgage assets to Treasury. Among them, the bill would limit golden parachutes to executives at companies that participate; they will not be able to deduct the salary they pay to executives above $500,000.

• An oversight board will be created. The board will include the Federal Reserve chairman, the Securities and Exchange Commission chairman, the Federal Home Finance Agency director and the Housing and Urban Development secretary.

• Treasury is allowed the option to take ownership stakes in participating companies under certain circumstances.

• Treasury may establish an insurance program - with risk-based premiums paid by the industry - to guarantee companies' troubled assets, including mortgage-backed securities, purchased before March 18, 2008.

Lawmakers' goal is to shore up a deal before financial markets around the world open on Sunday evening.

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson first announced the administration would seek an economic bailout plan on Sept. 18, after meeting with key lawmakers in the House and Senate - a meeting that left lawmakers looking ashen when they spoke to the press afterwards.

If enacted, the rescue plan would be the most dramatic and extensive government intervention in the economy since the Great Depression.

President Bush on Sept. 24 gave a prime-time address to the nation in which he urged lawmakers to pass his plan and warned that the "entire economy is in danger."

The aim of the rescue is to unfreeze the credit markets - short-term lending among banks and corporations. The core of the problem is bad real estate loans that have led to record foreclosures when the housing bubble burst and home prices declined.

In the past two weeks, the banking world and Wall Street have been reordered by a wave of collapses and corporate mergers. The most recent development was the seizure by federal regulators on Thursday night of Washington Mutual, once the nation's largest thrift and a major mortgage lender.

Pain on Main Street, risk to taxpayers

The chill of the credit freeze has been felt far beyond Wall Street, as well. Businesses large and small have seen the cost of borrowing spike higher.

At the same time, the scale of the administration's plan - and the quick pace of the debate over it - has given pause to many Americans and lawmakers worried about its potential cost to taxpayers.

"We begin with a very important task, a task to stabilize the markets, to protect all Americans - and do it in a way that protects the taxpayer to the maximum extent possible," Paulson said early Sunday morning.

dontnojack
28th September 2008, 17:46
I think I must be reading this wrong. Where's the part about having Raines', Johnson's, Dodd's, Frank's..etc. head on a frickin platter. These SOB's are walking away free and clear. Talk about leaving the fox in charge of the henhouse. I have absolutely had it with these idiots!

Tribal Warrior
28th September 2008, 18:31
Here's the link to the bill, http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/rescuebill_First_Draft.pdf

Which according to Pelosi WILL pass and be implemented. Basically what she is saying is that all these actions/plans have already been predetermined.

Read the bill, it'll take years to recoup any of our taxpayers dollars. YEARS!!

Also, if you read through to the limiting amounts, doesn't the total amounts allowed go well over 700bln$$$?

thowze
28th September 2008, 19:30
With the exception of the HUD secretary, these are the same 4 Bozos who sat in front of the Senate Banking Committee begging for the money just a few days ago. This is the ultimate example of allowing the fox to watch the henhouse.

Kelly
28th September 2008, 19:45
At the very least, when this damn bill goes before congress this week, let's all go to congress.org and see which of our senators and representatives voted yes on this horror. Let's start a list together and publicly name every damn one of them that votes yes.

And then one way or another let's try to make their lives hell while we wait for the opportunity to vote those traitors out of office!

They are not only turning control of our country over to despots and thieves, it sure looks to me like we are going to have absolutely NO oversight allowed by a single elected official! Has the senate COMPLETELY lost their minds?

You guys don't even want to know how pissed off I am about this…

Tribal Warrior
28th September 2008, 19:47
Yes Kelly, please keep this thread bumped, I want to remember to go and look at the website to see who voted yes and no.

Kelly
28th September 2008, 19:51
Okay, will do. But each of you has to go and find out how your state's senators voted and post it. Somehow we'll just keep a running list going. How 'bout if we call it the "Name and Shame List"?

Deal?

Tribal Warrior
28th September 2008, 19:56
Yeah that'll work, or Name and Blame,,,either way they may end up on AMW,,America's Most Wanted :cool:

paker
28th September 2008, 20:31
Okay, will do. But each of you has to go and find out how your state's senators voted and post it. Somehow we'll just keep a running list going. How 'bout if we call it the "Name and Shame List"?

Deal?

Bullshit! No list, VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE!

Kelly
28th September 2008, 20:37
And then one way or another let's try to make their lives hell while we wait for the opportunity to vote those traitors out of office!

That's what we intend to do, Parker. Unfortunately, not all of the pricks who will vote yes on this autrocity will be up for re-election this year.

Hence, we need a list so we will NOT forget, and in the meantime, we may as well try to make their lives miserable until the day we can vote them out of office.

Don't just get mad; get even.

balou2
28th September 2008, 20:42
• An oversight board will be created. The board will include the Federal Reserve chairman, the Securities and Exchange Commission chairman, the Federal Home Finance Agency director and the Housing and Urban Development secretary.

I think you underestimate how involved some of us are with this, and how passionate we are as well. The most disturbing part of the above quote, is the directly correlated quote from the bill itself:

(c) NECESSARY ACTIONS.—The Secretary is author14
ized to take such actions as the Secretary deems necessary
15 to carry out the authorities in this Act, including, without
16 limitation, the following:
17 (1) The Secretary shall have direct hiring au18
thority with respect to the appointment of employees
19 to administer this Act.
20 (2) Entering into contracts, including contracts
21 for services authorized by section 3109 of title 5,
22 United States Code.
23 (3) Designating financial institutions as finan24
cial agents of the Federal Government, and such in25
stitutions shall perform all such reasonable duties
O:\AYO\AYO08B94.xml [Discussion Draft]
1 related to this Act as financial agents of the Federal
2 Government as may be required.
3 (4) In order to provide the Secretary with the
4 flexibility to manage troubled assets in a manner de5
signed to minimize cost to the taxpayers, estab6
lishing vehicles that are authorized, subject to super7
vision by the Secretary, to purchase troubled assets
8 and issue obligations.
9 (5) Issuing such regulations and other guidance
10 as may be necessary or appropriate to define terms
11 or carry out the authorities or purposes of this Act.

Not only is there not elected officials, but the power literally resides with one person, AND whomever he appoints (in an unelected fashion) can work under the guise of a Federal Employee. Scarier, is the last bolded portion...it basically says, when needed, regulations can be "issued" in order to carry out the needs of the Act. If this doesn't scare the crap out of someone, then he/she is dead.

Kelly
28th September 2008, 20:47
If this doesn't scare the crap out of someone, then he/she is dead.

Or brainless...

mick silver
28th September 2008, 21:12
yes i would like to know also th kelly

Kelly
28th September 2008, 21:22
As I dissect the real meaning and intent behind the wording of this bill, essentially from here on out it won't really matter who gets elected president because this bill gives the POWER to completely control this nation's finances to the Secretary of the Treasury, which is an appointed position. Right now it's Paulsen who holds that office, but that's going to change with the new administration. As long as this bill stands, regardless of who is president or who gets elected to the senate, a non-elected official will have more power to control this nation's future than the President and the Senate combined.

Essentially, what they are saying is that our votes aren't going to count for didly squat anymore.

The fine print that Balou posted is really the end of any and all pretense that this is a free, democratic nation.

I see no time limit on this bill.

thetackle
28th September 2008, 21:36
Looks like in addition to all the other stuff we get to do to babysit our elected officials, add voicing your opinion on the confirmation of any cabinet or supreme court justice. You can also bet your ass that the Treasury Secretary just became a political tool instead of just a TOOL. One shiny nickel says that they are selected based on which state a President needs for reelection in 4 years or which company's ass we are presently kissing. Either way, it still isn't about us.

mick silver
28th September 2008, 21:58
I am still looking for a plan , what they have is a load of sh--

Kelly
28th September 2008, 22:12
For a brief, childish, vindective as hell, and petty moment I had visions of mailing every senator that votes for this bill a dead fish and a used tampon all wrapped up nice and purdy...:D

mick silver
28th September 2008, 22:46
lmao thanks needed that

Kelly
28th September 2008, 22:49
Hey guys, you catch the fish, and I am reasonably sure you'll find plenty of women pissed off enough to give you a used tampon. I ain't lying either.

If they are going to give me policy that stinks like hell, I feel like giving them some stink back!

balou2
28th September 2008, 22:50
For a brief, childish, vindective as hell, and petty moment I had visions of mailing every senator that votes for this bill a dead fish and a used tampon all wrapped up nice and purdy...:D

...and I bet it felt DAMN good...for that moment.

Literally folks...if you have not devoted the time to read the Rescue Bill (as it is so ironically called), you need to. It's 106 pages of damnable lies and/or phrases that are subject to so much interpretation, you can hear our collective voices fading, the further you read. Re-read the lines I highlighted above...it literally puts one man in the driver's seat, with passage that says he can do whatever he wants "in the name of the bill".

We NEED people to know what this says.

Damn...I've tried to stay out of the political conversations. I miss "just talkin' about metal".

One_of_Many
28th September 2008, 22:54
"At the very least, when this damn bill goes before congress this week, let's all go to congress.org and see which of our senators and representatives voted yes on this horror. Let's start a list together and publicly name every damn one of them that votes yes.

And then one way or another let's try to make their lives hell while we wait for the opportunity to vote those traitors out of office!"

YES!! We have to forget the party stuff and just get them all out. Dem or Rep makes no difference anymore. They are all the same. They have ALL sold us out!

mick silver
28th September 2008, 22:57
it hard to stay on the side lines as they try and well push this bull sh-- on us all

One_of_Many
28th September 2008, 23:04

LMAO at that one, after i gagged a little.
We fish a lot so no problems there. Perch, Bass, Trout....just let me know what yah want and where to send it.

Kelly
28th September 2008, 23:12
Hey, gag if you want to, but I told you I felt like making their lives hell before they come up for re-election. You get 10 million men to send congress dead fish, and 10 million women to send them used tampons. and I'll tell you what you'll get.

You'll get a smell coming out of Washington DC that for the first time in decades actually fits reality.

mick silver
28th September 2008, 23:16
hell kelly the place already smell like **** , look who your talking about

mick silver
28th September 2008, 23:21
most of the guy there are so old they need pamper anyway

Kelly
28th September 2008, 23:27
No sweetie pie, I am talking about REALLY making it smell like ****. You get ten million men to mail their senators a dead fish, and ten million women to mail them a used tampon, and I'll tell you what. The stench coming out of Washinginton DC will not be merely rhetorical.

It'll be a REALITY. And I've got no problem with that. Do you?

I told 'ya. I want to make their life's hell. But you've got to wait untill the Senate comes back from break. And then give it to them.

I'm dead serious. What are they going to do? Arrest people for mailing dead fish and tampons?

If they try to, Washingtron DC will be the laughing stock of the entire world.

After all, THIS IS WAR!

Pssst: Pass it on to every forum in America.

If they are going to give us legislation that stinks like hell, let's give them some STINK back!

mick silver
28th September 2008, 23:32
i well past it on good one kelly , a game plan

averagejoe
28th September 2008, 23:33
I just finished e-mailing all of my Iowa congressmen and senators and told them to expect getting voted out of office this next time if they vote for this bill. Right now this is what every concerned American should be doing, let then know they have crossed the line this time!!

balou2
28th September 2008, 23:34
No sweetie pie, I am talking about REALLY making it smell like ****. You get ten million men to mail their senators a dead fish, and ten million women to mail them a used tampon, and I'll tell you what. The stench coming out of Washinginton DC will not be merely rhetorical.

It'll be a REALITY. And I've got no problem with that. Do you?

I told 'ya. I want to make their life's hell. But you've got to wait untill the Senate comes back from break. And then give it to them.

I'm dead serious. What are they going to do? Arrest people for mailing dead fish and tampons?

If they try to, Washingtron DC will be the laughing stock of the entire world.

After all, THIS IS WAR!

Pssst: Pass it on to every forum in America.

If they are going to give us legislation that stinks like hell, let's give them some STINK back!

From a legal standpoint, I think you could get away with the fish, but the other...while I'd like nothing more than to see the reaction when that envelope was opened, it would be illegal to send due to biohazard laws. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, but a good stinky fish...now that would be o.k..

Kelly
28th September 2008, 23:38
Now where do you get that a used tampon is a biohazard? If that was the case, 90% of the homes in America would require the dudes in weird bio-hazard suits.

I honestly think women should make a statement!!!!

mick silver
28th September 2008, 23:48
REMINDER do not piss kelly off

Kelly
29th September 2008, 00:29
Well, you've got a point there cupcake. But what this bailout will do to the women of America is many times worse than it will affect men.

Anybody that has a working synaptic connection must surely realize that the bailout will be responsible for astronomical inflation. That in turn will put the fixed value of child support payments in dire jeopardy. I know you guys will suffer from this bill too, but it is women with kids and the elderly that will hurt the most.

If you are divorced and paying child support this bill will hurt your kids. Hyper-inflation does not seem to matter to court appointed custody payments. There are women out there with children that had their support payments fixed in 1980. What do you think the hyper-inflation this bill will cause will do to them? Or your children?

It's crucifixion for many women. I'm talking about the ones that don't spend their support payments in malls; they spend it for rent, food and utilities.

You men have a tough enough road to hoe today, but it's the women getting child support payments who have a fixed income that will suffer, and this bill is going to create hyperinflation!

That means women and kids are totally fu%cked.

Don't even try to tell women what to do. ( Besides, you should know better by now.) This bill will bleed women and children dry. I honestly think I have suggested the most poignantly productive way for women to tell congress how they really feel.

We've been telling congress our woes for years. They haven't listened and it stinks.

Now maybe it's time for women to show congress what stink is all about.

But if you men are against the bailout, join the women in sending them some STINK. After all, the garbage only gets picked up once a week in DC too. That'll give fish and tampons plenty of time to stink like hell.

So what are they going to do? Arrest us all?

I believe in non-violent protest.

balou2
29th September 2008, 00:34
Now where do you get that a used tampon is a biohazard? If that was the case, 90% of the homes in America would require the dudes in weird bio-hazard suits.

Hey...I'm with ya sister. Women should have a voice that is loud and proud. BUT...the USPS does not consider mailing meat and/or blood soaked articles to be appropriate (i.e. LEGAL) to mail. I'm not saying don't do it, only suggesting that just like anything, we make educated decisions that allow us to account for potential risks.

122 Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable

The following are examples of hazardous materials, restricted matter, and perishable matter. These are not complete lists, but they provide an idea of the types of articles included in each category.

1. Hazardous materials (DMM 601.10) include:
1. Corrosives.
2. Explosives.
3. Flammable liquids and solids, combustible liquids.
4. Gases.
5. Infectious substances, etiologic agents, clinical specimens, biological products, sharps, other used medical devices. [LIKE USED TAMPONS]
6. Miscellaneous hazardous materials (e.g., dry ice, magnetized materials).
7. ORM–D materials.
8. Oxidizers, organic peroxides.
9. Radioactive materials.
10. Toxic substances (poisons).
2. Restricted matter (DMM 601.11) includes:
1. Abortive and contraceptive devices.
2. Battery–powered devices.
3. Building construction materials.
4. Controlled substances and drug paraphernalia.
5. Firearms.
6. ntoxicating liquors.
7. Liquids and powders.
8. Matter emitting obnoxious odors.
9. Motor vehicle master keys.
10. Nonhazardous liquids and powders.
11. Sharp objects (knives, switchblades, stilettos).
12. Odd–shaped items in letter–size envelopes.
3. Perishable matter (DMM 601.9) includes:
1. Dead animals or parts of animals. [LIKE DEAD FISH]
2. Eggs.
3. Live animals.
4. Meat and meat products.
5. Plants and plant products.

Kelly
29th September 2008, 00:44
Excuse me, but I have ordered Liver of sulfer, Ronson lighter fuel, flea crap and countless garden supplies that make this list. And guess what?

THEY WERE ALL DELIVERED.

UPS doesn't give a crap what is delivered, they care about making money. If you are worreied about it, obviously you should wear rubber gloves and put a phoney address on the package.

Excuse me Balou, but I believe MILLIONS of people have attempted an intellectual arguement (including me) and it has not worked. Right now I don't give a crap about being intellectual.

It hasn't worked in the past, so I am willing to try a new tactic.

And I am voting for STINK!

nayoibi
29th September 2008, 00:49
With the exception of the HUD secretary, these are the same 4 Bozos who sat in front of the Senate Banking Committee begging for the money just a few days ago. This is the ultimate example of allowing the fox to watch the henhouse. http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1222169093.php

balou2
29th September 2008, 00:55
Excuse me, but I have ordered Liver of sulfer, Ronson lighter fuel, flea crap and countless garden supplies that make this list. And guess what?

THEY WERE ALL DELIVERED.

UPS doesn't give a crap what is delivered, they care about making money. If you are worreied about it, obviously you should wear rubber gloves and put a phoney address on the package.

Excuse me Balou, but I believe MILLIONS of people have attempted an intellectual arguement (including me) and it has not worked. Right now I don't give a crap about being intellectual.

It hasn't worked in the past, so I am willing to try a new tactic.

And I am voting for STINK!

Touche. It ain't for me to decide. If I had it my way, I'd not only send'em the bloody thing, I'd make'em insert it too. Just tryin' to play a little bit of the "I know Kelly is super pissed and out of her mind, so have a little safe and intellectual fun at her expense" card. ;)

JesterJay
29th September 2008, 00:58
That's what I wear when I am on "garbage duty" for the Master Bath.
Don't ch'all have a monthly "Suit of Survival"?
JesterJay
PS Not to get too technical, but the possibility of blood-born pathogens makes it boarderline serious for a biohazard classification.
OK, do it anyway. It will make a hell of a story on CNNBCSUX: "Thousands of murdered fish and evidence of foul play mailed to the nations TOP political figures in the Senate and Congress. Film at 10!"

Kelly
29th September 2008, 01:01
I luvs ya Balou!

Kelly
29th September 2008, 01:04
PS Not to get too technical, but the possibility of blood-born pathogens makes it boarderline serious for a biohazard classification.

Hey dude, you are only sending the packages to the ones that voted for the bailout. Are you acutally expressing sympathy?

They've shown no sympathy for us.

What are they going to do? Make menstral periods and fish illegal?

Robin
29th September 2008, 07:41
[QUOTE=Kelly;13252]Excuse me, but I have ordered Liver of sulfer,QUOTE]

OOOh! that stuff will stink for a little while. It would be like everybody their has bad gas. LOL