PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Silver Eagles

kiwi
25th June 2006, 08:22
Hi all, I'm looking to start collecting silver eagles or other silver coins. I've noticed many websites want you to call them for quotes and others just seem to have prices much higher than spot. If you have any advice about where to buy or what to buy, I'd like to hear about it.

Mr.K
25th June 2006, 18:29
I like to use Apmex. They have been very good to me over the years.

Ardent Listener
25th June 2006, 19:48
I get mine from local coin dealers. They know that I'm looking for the scratched and dented discounted ones. :lol:

Silver Bull
25th June 2006, 20:14
There are many factors when deciding where to purchase. If you live in or near a town with a good sized coin shop, I always recommend checking them out first. Most sell at or near the same price as some of the big guys, but you save on shipping, which if only buying a small bit at a time can add up to alot. Besides, many times they have had silver sitting around awhile and will discount to try to move it. I've run into some great deals at some of those out of the way shops. If you're looking to buy into larger amounts then as Mr K. said APMEX is an excellent choice. Next, are you looking to collect or to invest. Bullion coins are what I collect. They carry a premium to purchase over and above the actual bullion cost. Whereas, silver bars or rounds, which is what I invest in, are generally sold at a certain amount over spot. I pay locally 75 cents per ounce over spot, so I can buy as little or as much as I want. Then, if you decide to collect, you need to decide what you want to collect. Silver Eagles are fine, but the only thing that changes is the date. I prefer Chinese Pandas since the artwork changes each year, making them much more fun to look at. They are a bit more expensive due to the shipping charges to get them here from overseas. Then there are Chinese unicorns, Canadian Maple Leaves, Mexican Libertads, and Australian Kookaburas, Kangaroos and lunar series coins. So many choices. Such a great time to be into silver.

kiwi
26th June 2006, 21:37
Seems that I should been into silver a few years back when it was much cheaper. Can't go back in time though.

Silver Bull
27th June 2006, 02:32
Seems that I should been into silver a few years back when it was much cheaper. Can't go back in time though.

Then you might want to jump on the copper and nickel bandwagons now!

kiwi
27th June 2006, 16:40
Well I may start to keep pre-82 pennies around my house when i find them, I agree with what you were saying in your other thread silverbull there just doesnt seem to be a market for melting these coins down yet. I don't really know what kind of work extracting the copper from the pennies would take. You would probably have to melt them and then treat them with chemicals to remove the other metals. I am just making this stuff up because i really don't know what has to be done. (not to mention the time/cost of sorting out the pennies) Maybe once a copper penny is worth more there could be a market. By the way, I do have lots of proof silver eagles as i collected coins a bit years back. I've just never thought of bullion investing. Thanks for all the tips guys :)

buff
19th January 2007, 22:48
Rather than buy silver at today's prices a person would be better served to pay off his mortage, college loans, credit cards and save money to educate his children.

digger
23rd January 2007, 17:00
With the % gain in silver price growing in double digits yr/yr and triple digits over the last few years, buying silver is a better investment than plunking my fiat dollars into a savings account for the future education of my children (grandchildren). Sure, no bull market lasts forever, but I see no reason not to ride the silver bull until his run ends. Even at today's price there's more longterm upside potential than downside potential.

Donkeydoesdallas
14th August 2007, 17:37
If someone were to invest in copper where would they sell it when it comes the time? Precious metal dealers wouldn't want it would they?

buff
15th August 2007, 21:21
A guy who has the nick "Donkeydoesdallas" has bigger problems that where to sell his copper.