PDA

View Full Version : Metals price comparison?

Thoriz
19th August 2008, 17:48
The quote below is from the Liberty Dollar website:

Welcome to the Liberty Dollar: Remember when gas was only 25-cents a gallon? You could take a dollar down to the gas station and buy four gallons for a buck! At that time our dollar was backed by silver - real money. Guess what? That same amount of silver still buys four gallons of gas today!

Are prices of product a fair comparison to metals, over time?:confused:

--Thoriz

Scrap Metal
19th August 2008, 18:48
Yes and no. Precious metals move because of other factors than the law of supply and demand. They move on emotions as well...especially gold. Also, it depends on what products you compare the PM's to. Some things rise faster than the rate of inflation, like college expenses and healthcare. Liberty Dollar makes the comparison that they use because it is a hot button commodity, and because they are trying to get you to become a Liberty Dollar distributor.

We have been through some threads about Liberty Dollar. Their founder, Bernard Von NotHaus is under investigation by the Feds for representing his coins as US currency. Whether he is guilty of this or not seems to matter to some more than others on this forum. But I would avoid becoming a distributor of Liberty Dollars until the dust settles.

Thoriz
19th August 2008, 19:23
My first purchase of silver was earlier this summer. I got 3x .1oz pcs and 1 .2oz piece. Including shipping it came to $31. It wasn't until after that I discovered all the rest of the world of products that are available. (And much nearer to spot!) That was $50/oz when spot was 17 or 18. Lesson learned. I think their idea of a replacement currency is a long way off.

Since then I've gotten 125 .9999 rounds and small bit of 90%. Avg rate 16.30/oz.

On a side note.... are there any program subscribers here for Franklin Sanders' MoneyChanger? the-moneychanger.com