PDA

View Full Version : [GATA] James Turk: Silver's potential for price appreciation

Peter Spina
7th January 2006, 11:59
Dear Friend of GATA and Gold:

GoldMoney founder James Turk, editor of the Freemarket
Gold & Money Report and consultant to GATA, has
written the case for investing in silver -- and thus the
case for GoldMoney's expansion into silver. As usual
Turk's analysis comes with some persuasive charts.

Turk finds that over the last six years silver has
slightly outperformed gold and that silver's biggest
gains have not come in the same years as gold's. He
believes, as trailblazing silver market analyst Ted
Butler long has maintained, that the current ratio
between the prices of gold and silver shows that
silver's potential for appreciation is much greater.

Why?

"When people become fearful about the safety of their
national currency and look for alternatives, as they are
now doing, they buy precious metals," Turk writes. "But
on the margin, this new monetary demand has a greater
impact on silver than it does on gold" -- because
ordinarily silver is much more an industrial metal than
a monetary one.

That is, when silver is remonetized, whether by custom
or by official decree, look out above.

Turk's analysis is titled "The Potential Offered by Silver"
and you can find it in the "Founder's Commentary" box
at the top left of the GoldMoney home page here:

http://goldmoney.com

CHRIS POWELL, Secretary/Treasurer
Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee Inc.

DaleFromCalgary
10th October 2009, 16:32
"That is, when silver is remonetized, whether by custom or by official decree, look out above."

But not in our lifetimes, I think.

How about starting a movement for a new currency where 8 reales equals one troy ounce of .999 silver? No law required, just do it.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
10th October 2009, 17:50
"That is, when silver is remonetized, whether by custom or by official decree, look out above."

How about starting a movement for a new currency where 8 reales equals one troy ounce of .999 silver? No law required, just do it.

Don't we already have a law saying one dollar equals 371.25 grains of pure silver (8 reales)?

DaleFromCalgary
10th October 2009, 19:06
"Don't we already have a law saying one dollar equals 371.25 grains of pure silver (8 reales)?"

I thought your government repealed that law back in the FDR era. That is why I was suggesting a new coin of 8 reales = one ounce Ag, because it would be a reminder and a tribute to the Spanish dollar and would also be easier to calculate. Both Canada and the USA used Spanish dollars in their formative years and based their currencies on them, although of course the FRN and the loonie have since gone in separate directions.

ccjoe
11th October 2009, 13:43

Dale--You keep on reiterating NOT IN OUR LIFETIMES! Unless you're 90, you're wrong. I 3-4 years silver will be 300 and a loaf of bread won't eat up that appreciation as some people mistakenly think. I still wonder why people are in this web site and not able to see gold 1050 and silver 18 as a wacked out ration? I don't think I'm that smart to see PD at 330 and PLA at 1350 and silver at 18 as being extremely weird.
SILVER WILL BE 100 next year and 300 by 2012 and yes take my advice newbies and mortgage your houses and put silver on your credit cards.
Sorry but I'm here to help people not to fearfully lead them to the slaughter.
One thing maple may be right about is a lot of Americans don't have any cahoneys and are ensconced in fear.

Katwoman
11th October 2009, 13:53
Dale--You keep on reiterating NOT IN OUR LIFETIMES! Unless you're 90, you're wrong. I 3-4 years silver will be 300 and a loaf of bread won't eat up that appreciation as some people mistakenly think. I still wonder why people are in this web site and not able to see gold 1050 and silver 18 as a wacked out ration? I don't think I'm that smart to see PD at 330 and PLA at 1350 and silver at 18 as being extremely weird.
SILVER WILL BE 100 next year and 300 by 2012 and yes take my advice newbies and mortgage your houses and put silver on your credit cards.
Sorry but I'm here to help people not to fearfully lead them to the slaughter.
One thing maple may be right about is a lot of Americans don't have any cahoneys and are ensconced in fear.

Actually thanks to the FRN most Americans are already leveraged to the hilt and cannot afford to buy any silver even if they want to:(

DaleFromCalgary
11th October 2009, 16:00
"Actually thanks to the FRN most Americans are already leveraged to the hilt and cannot afford to buy any silver even if they want to"

Anyone who is leveraged to the hilt has only themselves to blame. Borrowing money to buy an SUV or large-screen TV was a voluntary decision. Buying a McMansion instead of a smaller affordable house or just renting was a voluntary decision. Dribbling away money on $5 cups of coffee with foam and chocolate sprinkles on top was a voluntary decision.

Now they can't afford to buy silver, a bargain at $20. This can't be blamed on the Fed, any more than a drug addict can blame his pusher for getting him started on the habit.

The older I get, the more I believe in Pareto's Law.

And remember: Gold is for your old-age pension and silver is for trading the ratio.

Relayer
11th October 2009, 16:03
Oh that nasty truth thing! Dont forget people can sell other assets to get cash to get silver!!

I cant believe that after 2 years of talking to my brother in law about money, gold and silver.....he called me last night to find out where he can buy $10K worth of silver. Of all the people I talk to he is the only the 2nd person to do so. I think the sheeple are starting to get it!

DaleFromCalgary
11th October 2009, 16:13
"Of all the people I talk to he is the only the 2nd person to do so."

Like you, I haven't had much luck preaching. I'm seriously thinking about buying some 1-gramme encapsulated gold bars to give to family members for Christmas. After all, drug dealers usually give their new clients a free hit to get them hooked.

akak
11th October 2009, 16:26

Like you, I haven't had much luck preaching.

Yet most of those same people who just put their hands over their ears and yell "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!" when we talk to them about gold and silver will believe strangers on TV peddling an obvious self-serving financial agenda that has repeatedly and demonstrably robbed them of their hard-earned savings time after time. Funny how that works.

ccjoe
11th October 2009, 16:55

Like you, I haven't had much luck preaching. I'm seriously thinking about buying some 1-gramme encapsulated gold bars to give to family members for Christmas. After all, drug dealers usually give their new clients a free hit to get them hooked.

Don't do it Dale. I wanted to altruistically do the same thing with silver but you'll be laughed at. Trust me. You have a great heart for thinking like that though:)
And you HAVE had luck with me and probably most here in your preaching. We all are firmly convinced in our minds of how to accomplish the same goals. We just have different perceptions of how to proceed.

valerb
11th October 2009, 18:24
Anyone who is leveraged to the hilt has only themselves to blame. Borrowing money to buy an SUV or large-screen TV was a voluntary decision. Buying a McMansion instead of a smaller affordable house or just renting was a voluntary decision. Dribbling away money on $5 cups of coffee with foam and chocolate sprinkles on top was a voluntary decision.

Now they can't afford to buy silver, a bargain at $20. This can't be blamed on the Fed, any more than a drug addict can blame his pusher for getting him started on the habit.

Yes there is a large segment of our population that is flat on their ass. However to say that all of these people could not buy even small amounts of Silver is not reality. We have tens of millions of individuals who could afford to go out and buy Silver tomorrow it they wanted to, but they choose not to. Why, who know why. Why is the rest of the worlds population not buying silver? Lets keep it real here folks. We are only 6% of the worlds population and yet we purchase 25% of the worlds investment silver. Which leads me to believe that we have stronger beliefs in Silver than any other part of the world, at least on a per capita basis. If the general public could not even afford to buy single ounce silver coins, why in the world would our TV commercials be pushing all kinds of gadgets 24 hours a day on hundreds of different channels. Those commercials are not free, so it tells us that people do have money to spend and they are spending it.

I don't care what people say, I think the majority of Americans and for that matter people all over the world believe in their governments and that "it" can't happen to them.

We should also remember that the basic principle of investing is to be diversified. I don't think that having generic silver rounds, premium silver and junk silver is what is meant by being diversified. So why should we find it hard to understand when so many others have no interest in PM's when they already consider themselves diversified in whatever investment plan they are currently in? I'm not diversified myself, but that is supposed to be the plan.

We all find it hard to sell others on the concept of investing in Silver, that's because we are in such a tiny minority of the population. I have no idea as to what that percentage is, but I'm guessing well below 1%. Just taking 1% or 3.6 million people investing in a modest 1,000 ounces of Silver would amount to 3.6 billion ounces. Now by all accounts, there really isn't that much investment silver in the world. We do know that there are a large number of investors that on this site alone, are holding far more than their 1,000 ounces.
So, If we were to take an actual listing of all investors who own 1,000 ounces or more in the US, I'm betting the number would be somewhere south of one tenth of one percent of the population and that would probably be still way too high. With fewer than one person out of every thousand trying to convince others to invest in Silver, is it any wonder we are in such a small minority.

Then we are up against the networks preaching the stock market and these are the intelligent people who know best.

It must be really hard for the average person to be convinced that a relative or friend knows better than everyone else on TV and in the news or we would be more successful.

So what does buying 25% of all the investment silver each year indicate. Are we the smart ones or are we more into the riskier investment metal or are we just too cheap to buy gold. Has anyone seen any reports on the investment ratio of gold purchases in the US versus the rest of the world?

ccjoe
11th October 2009, 18:44
Yes there is a large segment of our population that is flat on their ass. However to say that all of these people could not buy even small amounts of Silver is not reality. We have tens of millions of individuals who could afford to go out and buy Silver tomorrow it they wanted to, but they choose not to. Why, who know why. Why is the rest of the worlds population not buying silver? Lets keep it real here folks. We are only 6% of the worlds population and yet we purchase 25% of the worlds investment silver. Which leads me to believe that we have stronger beliefs in Silver than any other part of the world, at least on a per capita basis. If the general public could not even afford to buy single ounce silver coins, why in the world would our TV commercials be pushing all kinds of gadgets 24 hours a day on hundreds of different channels. Those commercials are not free, so it tells us that people do have money to spend and they are spending it.

I don't care what people say, I think the majority of Americans and for that matter people all over the world believe in their governments and that "it" can't happen to them.

We should also remember that the basic principle of investing is to be diversified. I don't think that having generic silver rounds, premium silver and junk silver is what is meant by being diversified. So why should we find it hard to understand when so many others have no interest in PM's when they already consider themselves diversified in whatever investment plan they are currently in? I'm not diversified myself, but that is supposed to be the plan.

We all find it hard to sell others on the concept of investing in Silver, that's because we are in such a tiny minority of the population. I have no idea as to what that percentage is, but I'm guessing well below 1%. Just taking 1% or 3.6 million people investing in a modest 1,000 ounces of Silver would amount to 3.6 billion ounces. Now by all accounts, there really isn't that much investment silver in the world. We do know that there are a large number of investors that on this site alone, are holding far more than their 1,000 ounces.
So, If we were to take an actual listing of all investors who own 1,000 ounces or more in the US, I'm betting the number would be somewhere south of one tenth of one percent of the population and that would probably be still way too high. With fewer than one person out of every thousand trying to convince others to invest in Silver, is it any wonder we are in such a small minority.

Then we are up against the networks preaching the stock market and these are the intelligent people who know best.

It must be really hard for the average person to be convinced that a relative or friend knows better than everyone else on TV and in the news or we would be more successful.

So what does buying 25% of all the investment silver each year indicate. Are we the smart ones or are we more into the riskier investment metal or are we just too cheap to buy gold. Has anyone seen any reports on the investment ratio of gold purchases in the US versus the rest of the world?

Val-We're too smart to buy gold!
The Chinese and all of Asia are buying up silver as we sleep in the states
The governments are telling them to buy silver!
If 1% of the 3 billion Asians buy just ten ounces of silver apiece, silver is over 300.
That is going to happen soon.

fansubs_ca
12th October 2009, 00:40
Yet most of those same people who just put their hands over their ears and yell "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!" when we talk to them about gold and silver will believe strangers on TV peddling an obvious self-serving financial agenda that has repeatedly and demonstrably robbed them of their hard-earned savings time after time.

I can't say that happens to anyone I know, of course this is because none of
them have had any savings to be robbed of to begin with. :rolleyes: