PDA

View Full Version : Are you freaking kidding me!?!?

clr8ter
24th July 2008, 18:06
Has anyone seen the commercial for this thing on TV? I can't believe......(Insert Lewis Black grunt, head shake & arm flail). Goes to show you that if you offer it for sale, people will buy it. I was thinking of silver plating my turds and putting them on E-Bay.....

Anyway, here is the link, sorry if it doesn't work, not sure how to provide an active link. If it doesn't work, go to the website, it's the silver 20 (Liberian) dollar bill.

http://www.nationalcollectorsmint.com/category.jsp?path=-1|6966&id=8344

Argentum
24th July 2008, 18:46
Yah, saw that a while back and just LMAO.

Phaeton
24th July 2008, 20:00
I was thinking of silver plating my turds and putting them on E-Bay.....

Do you take Paypal?????

My Mom knows how much I'm into Silver so she mentioned it to me (that it was .999 and all) when she saw it. Got me excited at first until I saw it for myself.... Oh well....

skijake
24th July 2008, 20:24
Do you take Paypal?????

My Mom knows how much I'm into Silver so she mentioned it to me (that it was .999 and all) when she saw it. Got me excited at first until I saw it for myself.... Oh well....

The Chinese have already destroyed that market by counterfitting 2 million units. Total silver utilized, 2 ounces. Damm , ther'e good!:p

DaveK
25th July 2008, 09:43
When I saw that commercial go by last week I had to laugh at it. I then looked it up on the net and the first thing I found was a Yahoo Answers qestion where someone had been suckered into buying one and was trying to cancel the order. Predictably, the company wasn't making that easy.

I think someone said that it is Liberian dollars, and at current exchange rates $20 Liberian dollars is worth about USD0.38.

It's just amazing to me that anyone falls for that crap.

the_moonbeam
25th July 2008, 11:26
It's sad that they not only cheat the unaware, but they use the 911 tragedy, too !

argentos
25th July 2008, 12:06
These two penny pieces are quite pretty coins. They are made of steel: and copper coloured, but conversion to greyscale gives an idea of what a whisker of cadmium plate could do for them!

clr8ter
25th July 2008, 17:37
Phaeton, I don't take PayPal, but, I will accept silver. One oz. each. Payable to my offshore account. Thanks in advance for being my 1st customer!!

Phaeton
25th July 2008, 18:26
Phaeton, I don't take PayPal, but, I will accept silver. One oz. each. Payable to my offshore account. Thanks in advance for being my 1st customer!!

What a steal... I mean deal! Thanks Gov'na!

I seriously wonder how many poor souls have purchased these bills. :confused:

DaveK
26th July 2008, 20:40
You know, since this thing is Liberian currency, and since the commercial says it is 'available to American citizens at face value', face value being 20 Liberian Dollars, wouldn't they have to sell it to you for 20 Liberian dollars, which converts to 0.31 US Dollars. Plus shipping.

It wouldnt' be worth the shipping, but might be fun.

If they wouldn't it would be easy to make a BBB complaint for false advertising.

SilverHawk
27th July 2008, 03:11
And it's Silver Leaf. You know how THIN that stuff is? I'll bet there's only .01 ounces of Silver there.

Look at it this way. It's another product coming to market to heighten the awareness of the metals market. "Food for thought"

pkrebaum
28th July 2008, 00:36
Absolutely nowhere in the ad is the weight of the Silver stated. That should be the first sign of a rip-off. I see lots of Silver items on ebay (esp. vials of Silver flakes) listed without a weight.

The other variable necessary to determine value is purity. Without both weight and purity known you have no idea of how much (or how little) it's worth.

JesterJay
28th July 2008, 23:38
A guy at work brought this to my attention today. He was very impressed with the .999 silver and the Silver Leaf.
I asked HOW MUCH .999 silver there was and he "didn't know".
I asked if he knew what silver leaf meant and again, he "didn't know".
When I explained he STILL seemed interested and asked. Would I double my money in 30 years?
Gulp!
What the heck? NO! You won't get your money back in a million years.
He also thought it was a great idea that he could buy it at "face value" of ONLY $20.
I explained the VALUE of Liberian dollars and again emphasized all the points I have mentioned and he FINALLY said, "ooooooooh. What a ripoff."
I agreed with him and told him AGAIN that if it is advertised on TV that they made millions and it would never be rare or valuable.
He bought one of those Silver and Gold CLAD (another word that impressed this numismatically challenged victim of fraud) Twin Towers coins that had the "pop-up" twin towers made into the coin a couple years ago. Another great deal. Just like this one.
A bargain at $35 plus shipping. After he bought it he asked me how much I thought it was worth. This was back when I had numismatic Morgans and St Gaudens coins and such so I was pretty up to date on the value of coins. I told him he could not give it to me and I thought he was going to cry.
He lobbied me for days trying to convince me it was the greatest buy since the Louisiana Purchase. It took another 2 weeks to show him how BAD of an investment is was.
He is a typical "sucker". The type of which that one is born every minute. People will believe ANYTHING they see on TV and won't even check things out to verify the facts.
Unbelievable,
JesterJay

Absolutely nowhere in the ad is the weight of the Silver stated. That should be the first sign of a rip-off. I see lots of Silver items on ebay (esp. vials of Silver flakes) listed without a weight.

The other variable necessary to determine value is purity. Without both weight and purity known you have no idea of how much (or how little) it's worth.

hiyosilver
29th July 2008, 00:02
but gradually you're getting through to him....that's more to be said than some....some will just get peed off and call you a screwball......any chance of teaching the poor guy what's really valuable, Jay?

Just an idea: give him one of those 90% halves. Tell him what it's worth now, and potential value in the future, and tell him to invest in those. I bet it would get his attention. Probably a pretty good $6.50 or so investment in someone else's family.

easygoing
29th July 2008, 08:39
A guy at work brought this to my attention today. He was very impressed with the .999 silver and the Silver Leaf.
I asked HOW MUCH .999 silver there was and he "didn't know".
I asked if he knew what silver leaf meant and again, he "didn't know".
When I explained he STILL seemed interested and asked. Would I double my money in 30 years?
Gulp!
What the heck? NO! You won't get your money back in a million years.
He also thought it was a great idea that he could buy it at "face value" of ONLY $20.
I explained the VALUE of Liberian dollars and again emphasized all the points I have mentioned and he FINALLY said, "ooooooooh. What a ripoff."
I agreed with him and told him AGAIN that if it is advertised on TV that they made millions and it would never be rare or valuable.
He bought one of those Silver and Gold CLAD (another word that impressed this numismatically challenged victim of fraud) Twin Towers coins that had the "pop-up" twin towers made into the coin a couple years ago. Another great deal. Just like this one.
A bargain at $35 plus shipping. After he bought it he asked me how much I thought it was worth. This was back when I had numismatic Morgans and St Gaudens coins and such so I was pretty up to date on the value of coins. I told him he could not give it to me and I thought he was going to cry.
He lobbied me for days trying to convince me it was the greatest buy since the Louisiana Purchase. It took another 2 weeks to show him how BAD of an investment is was.
He is a typical "sucker". The type of which that one is born every minute. People will believe ANYTHING they see on TV and won't even check things out to verify the facts.
Unbelievable,
JesterJay

I have been trying to avoid the fancy comemetives stuff myself. Some are tempting. I have a question you may have an answer to:

I saw what the guy stated as a roll of fake Morgans and it scared the he1l out of me. He himself was a shaky person if you asked me. We were at a gunshow where you quite often see coins on display. I was asking him the difference and he was rambling off a bunch of what I thought was nonsemse. He didn't even have a "real" one to compare them to.

I bought another morgan and took them over to see the difference under his 6 power glass. I could not tell the diff with feel, sound or eye. I don't know if he was trying to scare others not to buy any that came through the door.

I went home and weighed mine. Most peace and morgans were 26.7 to 26.9 grams. My SAE were 31.3 to 31.4. My silver rounds were 31.1 to 31.3. I did find a morgan that weighed 27.2 and sounded just like silver but the color was off..along with the look.
What is the proper weight of these coins and could the SAE vary by dates 2-3 grams out of the wrappers? I did find the ones from littleton has diff wrapper weights by 2 grams. Thanks.