PDA

View Full Version : It has begun

Raven
24th July 2008, 10:05
Picked up my First 10oz bar of silver today...feels good to be actually putting my money into something worthwhile. It's an Engelhard brand. Any info on this company?

balou2
24th July 2008, 10:28
Picked up my First 10oz bar of silver today...feels good to be actually putting my money into something worthwhile. It's an Engelhard brand. Any info on this company?

Engelhard is among the top 3 brands of silver, so might even say the top Can't go wrong.

Raven
24th July 2008, 10:38
Thanks...looks like I have a place to shop at. They also have no probs with trading silver for gold straight up as well. They seem very flexible.

Argentum
24th July 2008, 11:04
Congrats. EH bars are good to go. But keep in mind that silver is silver, don't go pay'en more for a mirror.

Drumblebum
24th July 2008, 11:09
Good advice, but just the same, nothing wrong with going with the brand names for credibility and the fact that they are easily recognized.

Engelhard definitely one of my favorites...

Congrats, Raven, on a good trade. You are doing the right thing.

kingdombuilder
24th July 2008, 12:37
Englehard is the industry standard! IMO

skijake
24th July 2008, 21:14
Nice. Something about the weight and the color. Take that over 2 C notes anytime. I like Engehards too but like they said , don't overpay. You will figure out your favorites in time anyway.:cool:

Phaeton
24th July 2008, 21:32
Nice. Something about the weight and the color. Take that over 2 C notes anytime. I like Engehards too but like they said , don't overpay. You will figure out your favorites in time anyway.:cool:

Yup! Sunshine and PanAm for me! Well known brands and not too much over spot either. I can never seem to find Engelhards at a reasonable price, unfortunately.

My thoughts on reputable names are:

Engelhard
JM
Sunshine
PanAm
Apmex
A-Mark
Northwest Territorial

Can anyone think of some other names that most dealers wouldn't think twice about getting?

JesterJay
24th July 2008, 22:14
There are lots of well-known refineries from the past and present:
TriState
Homestake
Royal Canadian Mint
National Refiners
GA
World Wide Mint
Lots more too from back in the "everybody wants to own a mint when silver is 50 dollah!" days.
JesterJay

Yup! Sunshine and PanAm for me! Well known brands and not too much over spot either. I can never seem to find Engelhards at a reasonable price, unfortunately.

My thoughts on reputable names are:

Engelhard
JM
Sunshine
PanAm
Apmex
A-Mark
Northwest Territorial

Can anyone think of some other names that most dealers wouldn't think twice about getting?

Raven
24th July 2008, 23:30
Since I'm fairly new at this, Whats the norm over spot places usually charge?
This dealer is $2.00 overspot which doesn't seem too bad since I'm not a bulk purchaser and it's right down the road. Just trying to get a good idea of what I should be paying.

JesterJay
25th July 2008, 00:04
I get my Ag for .55 over spot from my long time coin/bullion dealer. Not a bad price for the area. Best price around, actually.
JesterJay

This dealer is $2.00 overspot which doesn't seem too bad since I'm not a bulk purchaser and it's right down the road. Just trying to get a good idea of what I should be paying.

Raven
25th July 2008, 00:11
I get my Ag for .55 over spot from my long time coin/bullion dealer. Not a bad price for the area. Best price around, actually.
JesterJay

Wow, thats pretty good compared to what I have been researching in the last few minutes. Seems to be 1-2 dollar over spots in most places, not including shipping.

balou2
25th July 2008, 00:47
JesterJay

Now that's just downright amazing. It's hard to find that from any of the online dealers, even at the 100oz. rate, and you don't have to pay shipping.

JJ...do you take mail orders? ;)

hiyosilver
25th July 2008, 00:48
Wow, thats pretty good compared to what I have been researching in the last few minutes. Seems to be 1-2 dollar over spots in most places, not including shipping.

Jay's "long time coin/bullion dealer" is a key statement. It definitely helps to have friends in the right places. If your local dealer doesn't mind you hangin' around when business is slow and asking questions, do it, it will likely pay off. Just don't get in his way when he's busy. Don't let it be a one way street though. Look for ways you can help him out. Make an honest friend. We all need those.

mick silver
26th July 2008, 23:26
i pay 50 cent over spot

amadeus
27th July 2008, 00:39
With patience, you can pay spot and less by shopping fleaBay. Simply make sure your bid price plus shipping never exceeds the spot value of what you're bidding on, and you'll be golden... Obviously you won't always win, but as I said with PATIENCE, good things (at spot and under) will come to you... and obviously even if you don't mind paying a small premium, you will likely win more overall. If your local dealer charges $2 over spot, you can more than likely get away with only $1 over spot on fleaBay if you are patient...

JesterJay
27th July 2008, 21:51
Perhaps I could be persuaded...
What are you thinking?
Jay

Now that's just downright amazing. It's hard to find that from any of the online dealers, even at the 100oz. rate, and you don't have to pay shipping.

JJ...do you take mail orders? ;)

SilverHawk
28th July 2008, 01:08
When I walk into a new coin dealer, I ask who the owner is. If he's not in that day, I walk out and came back when he's there. I talk to the owner about the silver market, the dollar and how I have a lot of silver. I impress him with my financial knowledge and love for silver. I ask him to see the cheapest 1oz. coins he has, and whip out $700-$1000 dollars. Always make the first purchase with big bucks, that way he'll remember you when you walk in the next time. Come off as some rich big shot, and he may cut the premium down for you and or give you special deals as time goes on. Then always deal with the owner, never the workers. They won't usually cut you a deal. It's worked for me!

mick silver
31st July 2008, 23:04
engelhard i try to buy 5 to 10 every two weeks like the 10oz buying 50cents over spot at a coin shop in town just like the look of the bars

Drumblebum
1st August 2008, 14:29
I tend to get .75 to .85 over spot for a bar like the one you are talking about. It really depends on what form you are buying. The same dealer charges me 2.00 -2.50 over for SAE's.

Busting out for a big sale right off the bat with the owner is darn good advice if you can do it... I busted 2 G's for SAE's one of the first times I went in there. Even if I just go in to ask a question or buy coin tubes, I always try to buy something... last time, interestingly, it was a 10 oz Engelhard bar.

;-)

JesterJay
1st August 2008, 21:31
.55 over spot.
No matter how much I buy.
Great deals for me!
JesterJay

easygoing
1st August 2008, 21:38
Jay's "long time coin/bullion dealer" is a key statement. It definitely helps to have friends in the right places. If your local dealer doesn't mind you hangin' around when business is slow and asking questions, do it, it will likely pay off. Just don't get in his way when he's busy. Don't let it be a one way street though. Look for ways you can help him out. Make an honest friend. We all need those.

I like that way of thinking. I have a sporting goods shop and I have friends and I have those who hang out to pry on my customers...I hate the latter.

JesterJay
2nd August 2008, 11:39
You are both right of course,
I have become friends with the co-owners of my LCS (local coin shop) and hang around on occasion IF they are not busy. I know they appreciate the company during the "lulls".
I also help them by sending them business and supporting them when I am there when "newbies" come into the shop and indicate they may be getting "taken" by the shop (ONLY $6 for Grammys candlestick?).
Lots of people come in and THINK they have a treasure trove of coins and end up with 1982-91 mint and proof sets which have very little value. Thousands of Gramps Stamps are just paper also. Remind you of anything?
Owner Bill knows me by name and therefore doesn't have to take my ID info every time I go in there and sell him $5000 in gold or trade or buy silver etc...
I have this type of relationship with at least 3 dealers I have come to know in the past 3 or 4 years that I have been actively involved in coins/bullion.
Very important to have friends!
JesterJay

I like that way of thinking. I have a sporting goods shop and I have friends and I have those who hang out to pry on my customers...I hate the latter.

Originally Posted by hiyosilver

Mike-DK
5th August 2008, 13:49

Here's a funny one on Engel hard
www.nationalcollectorsmint.com/category.jsp?path=-1|6966&id=8344

go halv way down the page - to the picture of a lead-silver barre
Great for a screen saver. I rekon
enjoy
Mike-dk

hiyosilver
5th August 2008, 14:11
Here's a funny one on Engel hard
www.nationalcollectorsmint.com/category.jsp?path=-1|6966&id=8344

go halv way down the page - to the picture of a lead-silver barre
Great for a screen saver. I rekon
enjoy
Mike-dk

I reckon thar ain't much chance of lead filled 10 ounce bar, boy.

oro-plata
6th August 2008, 16:39
.55 over spot.
No matter how much I buy.
Great deals for me!
JesterJay

.55 over Spot No Matter what you Buy? That's Awsome JJ. Where's this place at? I thought I was getting good deals at the Zone.( http://www.goldandsilverzone.com)

OP

JesterJay
6th August 2008, 19:24
Coins and Collectibles in Sioux Falls, SD.
JesterJay

.55 over Spot No Matter what you Buy? That's Awsome JJ. Where's this place at? I thought I was getting good deals at the Zone.( http://www.goldandsilverzone.com)

OP