PDA

View Full Version : Liberty dollars

gypsybiker45
23rd July 2008, 19:51
Just curious of others opinion, i have a few of the NORFED Liberty Dollars, anyone think i should sell them off now for ASEs or leafs ,or does anyone think they might have a "numismatic collectability" in the future?

JesterJay
23rd July 2008, 20:27
Cheap silver is good to hold.
You can switch for SAEs if you want something with "numismatic premium" potential in it. As I do not think they have much.
But....
You have fairly recognizable .999 silver rounds. Why not just keep them?
JesterJay

Just curious of others opinion, i have a few of the NORFED Liberty Dollars, anyone think i should sell them off now for ASEs or leafs ,or does anyone think they might have a "numismatic collectability" in the future?

Drumblebum
24th July 2008, 11:19
Cheap silver is good to hold.
You can switch for SAEs if you want something with "numismatic premium" potential in it. As I do not think they have much.
But....
You have fairly recognizable .999 silver rounds. Why not just keep them?
JesterJay

I agree... hell, I wouldn't mind having a couple of those, but I hear that they are fetching quite the price on eBay (at least they were...)

I think they may be a collector's item in the future...

bgosche
24th July 2008, 12:47
I was thinking the opposite. Once this election is over and forgotten so will the 'Norfed/Ron Paul' craze. They are going for a good price on Ebay right now so I would cash in while you can. Maybe keep a few if you have some that are exceptionally nice. Take the profits and buy ASE's. Norfed overcharged for them in the first place. You can still buy the 'Arrest Dollars' for $60/oz on their site.

JesterJay
24th July 2008, 17:17
OK now I agree,
IF they are bringing a premium, CASH THEM IN!!!
It is less likely as silver rises that they will carry the same size premium up the ladder.
I have 3 1996 SAEs that I am selling now since they bring about 2 or 3 times spot. That premium has been going down with the rise in the spot price.
I recently bought a few rolls of mixed date Eagles and these three ladies were in the mix.
Suprise!
I like suprises like that,
JesterJay

I was thinking the opposite. Once this election is over and forgotten so will the 'Norfed/Ron Paul' craze. They are going for a good price on Ebay right now so I would cash in while you can. Maybe keep a few if you have some that are exceptionally nice. Take the profits and buy ASE's. Norfed overcharged for them in the first place. You can still buy the 'Arrest Dollars' for $60/oz on their site.

gypsybiker45
24th July 2008, 18:13
yea, i think ill dump them,i got them for less than eagles when i got them,anyone here want a "Michigan" LD let me know ,im going to hang onto a couple of those,sentimental..lol

balou2
25th July 2008, 00:54

This is sound advice, and if I were in your shoes, I'd dump'em and buy something else. I, personally, wouldn't find the need to do the ASE's when you can get standard rounds for at least $1 cheaper. Ebay is nuts with silver right now. I cannot believe how much people are willing to pay for items. When you factor in shipping, people are paying $24-28/oz. Though, I was mighty happy to get a 10oz Engelhard bar for $176 shipped, last week!!! A little tarnished, but there's a rat's a$$ out there I care nothing about.

bgosche
25th July 2008, 06:12
Be sure to keep an eye on your email and the Ebay home page for those 10% off coupons also. I picked up a tube of 2008 ASE's for $345 with free shipping this past week. I had to sit up until 1:00am to do it but for that price it was worth going to work half asleep the next day.

BoyScout4Life
2nd August 2008, 19:09
I picked up some generic rounds today and one of them was a Liberty Dollar from NORFED 2003, only have one. Should make a nice keep sake. Unless I can trade it for more Ag...;)

BS4L...

Trvlr45
4th August 2008, 00:19
I have 5 of the original Arrest Dollars I ordered soon after the FBI went in and siezed everything from Liberty Dollar. They are the $5 Arrest Dollars. I sent the check figuring I would never get them but thought I could at least help out with his defense fund.
Anyone have any idea if those are worth anything these days? I don't plan on selling them I'm just wondering if they have gone up.

the_moonbeam
5th August 2008, 10:43
I agree that eBay prices are pretty wild, and you have to be very conscious of what you're actually paying, but I believe eBay prices are an indication of the real value of silver, i.e. what the average person is willing to pay for an ounce or two of silver. They probably are unaware of the bullion dealers, so therefore, they perceive a shortage of collectable silver, and pay at a price that they think is reasonable. Now the idiots who buy the fake 9-11 bills are just plain stupid, or just easy marks. Whenever I get the urge, I call the number shown on tv, and let the operator know how I feel about the rip-off. Of course the poor operator is just doing her job, yet maybe, just maybe, she'll report it to her supervisor, and on up the chain. I know it won't matter to the people putting out this crap - to use 9-11 to sell junk means they have no morals to begin with.