PDA

View Full Version : IKE Dollars

ballininthamix
23rd July 2008, 19:44
So I found this guy selling Eisenhower dollars in lots of 100 for $125. That's about all the info he gives. What do you guys think? Does this sound like a scam? If I go check them out, what should I watch out for?

gypsybiker45
23rd July 2008, 19:48
Most Ike dollars are clad coins, why would you want to pay 25% premium for a nickel clad coin with no silver in it?

ballininthamix
23rd July 2008, 19:51
Most Ike dollars are clad coins, why would you want to pay 25% premium for a nickel clad coin with no silver in it?

I realize that some have no silver content, but when you say "most" what exactly does that mean? What dates do contain silver?

Phaeton
23rd July 2008, 20:01
So I found this guy selling Eisenhower dollars in lots of 100 for $125. That's about all the info he gives. What do you guys think? Does this sound like a scam? If I go check them out, what should I watch out for?

Well this guy is either a fool or a scammer!

But....

If he is selling actual Ikes for one-fifth of just it's silver worth, make sure they are the silver Ikes. He may be trying to distribute the copper/nickel ones. Make sure they are from the San Francisco mint only which is where the Silver types come from. The Silver types were minted in 71-76. The 77's and 78's were NOT Silver. Be careful with this guy and don't let him tell you otherwise!

Argentum
23rd July 2008, 20:29
General rule of thumb: When someone does not want to give info, that means they are generally hiding something. It's that simple. Walk away.

amadeus
26th July 2008, 13:07
If he's not far from you simply meet up with him and check them out. A quick glance at the edges of the coins will tell you all you need to know... Even if only 1/4th of them are silver you'd be getting an awesome deal.

Irons
1st August 2008, 16:33
Refineries won't even take 40% coins, I woulden't waste my time with them.
I bought a bag of 40% at a yard sale once only because 5 morgans came with it and I promptly dumped the 40% on ebay.