PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to buy small amounts of PM on-line?

balou2
19th July 2008, 23:13
My local shop-owner has packed up, closed, and headed for a cabin in the woods of Wyoming to retire. I have not found another dealer in the area with prices that I deem acceptable. I live in the San Francisco area, so everybody charges more for everything.

I've made plenty of purchases on-line from "the regulars", but does anybody know of sites that sell with no-minimums? NWTM sells in low volume, but you pay major premium on top of shipping until you get to 50 ounces. I'd love to be able to order 10-20 ounces each week, but none of the sites that fall in to that "regular" category sell for less than 50 ounces (NWTM - and they take FOREVER), and most are 100oz minimums.

Just looking for different avenues, even if it's your local dealer who will ship with decent prices.

Silver Tiger
20th July 2008, 00:24
You can find great deals off ebay.

Renegade
20th July 2008, 00:35
Here ya go pard, great site for buying or selling in my opinion,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.bulliondirect.com/index.jsp

Renegade

balou2
20th July 2008, 00:54
Thanks for the opinions. While I have found occasional deals on ebay, it's not common, and as of lately, the average going rate for 1oz of silver (including shipping) is well over $20. That's not what I'm looking at right now.

Bullion Direct is o.k., but even they're more expensive than most of the bigger houses.

Thanks for your 0.02.

chux03
20th July 2008, 01:47
http://www.sunshinesilver.com/

Honest, GREAT prices and ships PM out EVERYDAY. They even have silver EAGLES!! No complaints or shortages using these guys...

Note: If you are buying "small" purchases you WILL be paying $20 or more per ounce of silver, especially online. Bargains come with quantity...

Argentum
20th July 2008, 06:28
Balou2, are you looking at the Store, or the Nucleo? The Nucleo is where I buy, when I buy at BD. (80% of the time)). The thing with the Nucleo is that YOU set the price of what you want to bid. I've gotten some excellent deals over the months. It does take a bit of getting used to. And it's not a click and buy ((unless you take the ask price of the item listed)). I've found that it helps me keep my impulse buying in check. You just have to be a bit more mindful that an order may take a bit for someone to fill it. Most folks are not used to open markets and have been "point and click" buyers, so one has to adapt to this sort of "shopping". Over all I it give a bit more control. Also, you can buy One ASE, or 10,000 with no difference in fees. If I do buy from the Store, I never use a credit card. I just use my bank to send an electronic check for all purchases from the store or the Nucleo. Also keep in mind that you can sell. And once you get the hang of that, it can be a fun way to add a bit metal to your account.

I guess I'm also lucky in that I have a very good coin dealer in the "area". He is two hours away, but only 30 min from my cattle ranch so I stop in every month or so to at least chit chat and check out his stuff. But as most folks have commented about local dealers, his sock is often limited as well.

As always, use all of your options. I've gotten some good sites bookmarked from your all suggestions ((and some good buys too!))

balou2
20th July 2008, 14:51
Balou2, are you looking at the Store, or the Nucleo? The Nucleo is where I buy, when I buy at BD. (80% of the time)). The thing with the Nucleo is that YOU set the price of what you want to bid. I've gotten some excellent deals over the months. It does take a bit of getting used to. And it's not a click and buy ((unless you take the ask price of the item listed)). I've found that it helps me keep my impulse buying in check. You just have to be a bit more mindful that an order may take a bit for someone to fill it. Most folks are not used to open markets and have been "point and click" buyers, so one has to adapt to this sort of "shopping". Over all I it give a bit more control. Also, you can buy One ASE, or 10,000 with no difference in fees. If I do buy from the Store, I never use a credit card. I just use my bank to send an electronic check for all purchases from the store or the Nucleo. Also keep in mind that you can sell. And once you get the hang of that, it can be a fun way to add a bit metal to your account.

I guess I'm also lucky in that I have a very good coin dealer in the "area". He is two hours away, but only 30 min from my cattle ranch so I stop in every month or so to at least chit chat and check out his stuff. But as most folks have commented about local dealers, his sock is often limited as well.

As always, use all of your options. I've gotten some good sites bookmarked from your all suggestions ((and some good buys too!))

That's actually a good idea about the Nucleo. I had only been looking at the Ask price. I'll try some meandering in the Buy arena. Thanks!

TTAZZMAN
20th July 2008, 15:45
apmex.com is a good small quantity site with a excellent online interface

skijake
20th July 2008, 15:56
[QUOTE=Argentum;7506]Balou2, are you looking at the Store, or the Nucleo? The Nucleo is where I buy, when I buy at BD. (80% of the time)). The thing with the Nucleo is that YOU set the price of what you want to bid. I've gotten some excellent deals over the months. It does take a bit of getting used to. And it's not a click and buy ((unless you take the ask price of the item listed)). I've found that it helps me keep my impulse buying in check. You just have to be a bit more mindful that an order may take a bit for someone to fill it. Most folks are not used to open markets and have been "point and click" buyers, so one has to adapt to this sort of "shopping". Over all I it give a bit more control. Also, you can buy One ASE, or 10,000 with no difference in fees. If I do buy from the Store, I never use a credit card. I just use my bank to send an electronic check for all purchases from the store or the Nucleo. Also keep in mind that you can sell. And once you get the hang of that, it can be a fun way to add a bit metal to your account.

That is a great strategy. Honestly,there is so much to learn. Keep the emotions out of it, if you can.

mick silver
20th July 2008, 17:33
ampex is a real good dealer

Trvlr45
20th July 2008, 23:55
I have been using Apmex for about a year. I never buy in big quantities and they have been great. The ship pretty quick, you can buy 1 ounce if you want and everything I have received is exactly as they said it would be. I am aware that I get clipped buying small quantities and shipping is going up due to the price of diesel but there is really not much I can do about that considering the small quantities I buy. Fouty Engelhard rounds is a large amount for me.

Nehpets
21st July 2008, 19:44
Teletrade Direct

Best Prices / Lowest overhead / Easiest to talk and deal with / fast shipment /

Ask to talk to Gilbert Dominguez

Argentum
21st July 2008, 21:31
Interesting.... but I was checking price ((and including the .25/coin shipping)) they are still more than most every ask on the Nucleo. The one exception was the 100oz bar from JM, and there is no reasonable good price on BD for them - in fact, I never much seen a good price I'm willing to pay for that name, not when there are so many other options. That being said, I think they ((Teletrade)) do have a good offering for that 100 oz bar.... Keep in mind this was just a quick peek. Shipping times and service are all very important. If you have more info Nehpets, I'm always looking ;o)

balou2
22nd July 2008, 00:06
Teletrade Direct

Best Prices / Lowest overhead / Easiest to talk and deal with / fast shipment /

Ask to talk to Gilbert Dominguez

I just checked it out. Interesting, but unless I buy over $1000, I get charged sales tax. I ran the totals, and it would be almost $29 for a 1 oz. Amark round.
Shipping on 51 ounces (putting me over $1000) was $20, so unfortunately, this site won't benefit me for the small purchases. Thanks for the heads up though! I bookmarked.

Nehpets
22nd July 2008, 00:18
teletrade direct / teletrade buillion lets me purchase small amounts at a reasonable price with reasonable shipping. I enjoy the ordering format when you enter your order and the window stays open for about 10 minutes to confirm your order.If you are trying to buy on a dip, you can just leave the window open and if silver falls you can let it expire and reorder at a lower price. If silver starts to climb you have that time to confirm the order at the initial price. One day I placed an order on a dip and was watching the silver price and it started to fall quite rapidly , I let the window expire and reordered it at the new lower price , just when the window was about to expire again it started to fall again and again I let the window expire, on the third window with 4 seconds left and a rising silver value I confirmed the order. I watched with delight as silver took off and I came within 3 cents of the bottom on a triple dip day. I didn't save a lot of money but the format is a lot of fun. I find that the combination of a fair over spot price and fair shipping give me the best result in total cost for the silver I purchase from them. They have let me combine orders before to reduce the shipping charges. They are just easy to do business with even if your not a big buyer they take the time to make you feel that your small order is important to them.