PDA

View Full Version : ISO Northern California/Bay Area folks' opinions

balou2
19th July 2008, 23:07
Where are you guys buying PM? I'm in the south Bay Area, but have not had any luck finding a decent dealer for sliver, specifically. I have a couple cool coin shops, and 1 gold place, but nobody I've spoken with has any deal that can't be beaten from one of the bigger mints/houses.

If you don't want to post, feel free to send me a private message.
Thanks

skijake
20th July 2008, 11:43
Good morning Balou, I'm out in WHINE country and have limited shopping choices. 1 local dealer, great shop but less and less stock over the years and really cutting back on hours of operation. [retirement soon I bet] BD is my regular choice, E-bay for kicks. Sometimes on price dips Ebay works because the bidding pressure backs off and you can get a deal under spot but that is getting rarer and rarer. Enjoy your weekend-Regards D

Drumblebum
20th July 2008, 14:31
Good morning Balou, I'm out in WHINE country and have limited shopping choices. 1 local dealer, great shop but less and less stock over the years and really cutting back on hours of operation. [retirement soon I bet] BD is my regular choice, E-bay for kicks. Sometimes on price dips Ebay works because the bidding pressure backs off and you can get a deal under spot but that is getting rarer and rarer. Enjoy your weekend-Regards D

What's wrong with Apmex?

balou2
20th July 2008, 15:05
What's wrong with Apmex?

Actually, I checked that this morning, and it may be a viable place to pick up small orders. My biggest concern is usually the charge in shipping and handling. Some place charge a large handling fee, $10-$15 dollars, then charge a shipping fee, $10-$20, so by the time all is said and done, you're paying an extra $2-$3 an ounce.

skijake
20th July 2008, 15:47
Actually, I checked that this morning, and it may be a viable place to pick up small orders. My biggest concern is usually the charge in shipping and handling. Some place charge a large handling fee, $10-$15 dollars, then charge a shipping fee, $10-$20, so by the time all is said and done, you're paying an extra $2-$3 an ounce.

I am thinking more and more of saving for significant drops and let the day to day stuff go. Once you have a core base in place you just want to add to your holdings at a discount. When you place the bigger orders you have more pull. Too much shipping charges on the small orders end up annoying me,but it's my own fault. As far as Apmex goes Drumblebum, I have no first hand knowledge. Sounds like you like them? Have a good week-D

Trvlr45
8th August 2008, 03:32
What's wrong with Apmex?

That is where I buy most of the time. Whatever you buy these days costs what it costs. I don't have the time to shop at a local coin store so I buy where it is easy. For me Apmex works.

If silver explodes someday I won't miss the shipping eventhough it does annoy me in a big way. In my situation I have to pay for convienience.

Trvlr45
8th August 2008, 03:33
I am thinking more and more of saving for significant drops and let the day to day stuff go.

Precisely what my train of thought has been recently with shipping going through the roof.