PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Counterfeiting Operation - slideshow

Drumblebum
16th July 2008, 15:26
Everybody probably ought to see this if you haven't already...

http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins/ig/Chinese-Counterfeiting-Ring/Chinese-Fake-Coin-Minting.htm

hiyosilver
16th July 2008, 16:34
I have some of these I picked up at a junk shop on my last trip to East Asia. It's a "1874-S Trade Dollar" probably grading 40 or so. I know it's fake because it doesn't ring, and when weighed, it's 2 grams shy of what it should be. I think I paid about $5 for it. Maybe I'll take some pics of it and post them. I have a couple more I got at the same time. A Seated Liberty Dollar, and a Piece of Eight (8 Reale). all fake

Drumblebum
16th July 2008, 16:49
I have several peace and morgan dollars I picked up at a local coin shop I frequent. What makes me nervous is that the guy that runs it makes no secret of his occasional trips to Hong Kong and China... is this crap what he is bringing back to sell?

My dollars ring like bells, but then again so do my mid-70's cupro-nickel 50 peso coins, so...

If the fakes aren't made out of silver, does anyone know which metal/alloy they use? I didn't see any specific reference in the slideshow.

Ugh. Counterfeiters suck.

hiyosilver
16th July 2008, 21:36
Some of the better fakes are made of the right alloys, but those are most likely one's which would carry premium numismatic value. The only real way to know is submit to PCGS IMO. Personally, I don't buy silver dollars. I bought those coins in Asia as a novelty for about 5 bucks each...but they do look real.

minesmoria
17th July 2008, 10:04
I wonder why they did not make the silve eagles?

DaveK
17th July 2008, 12:13
My dollars ring like bells, but then again so do my mid-70's cupro-nickel 50 peso coins, so...

Yeah, be careful with the 'ring' test. My NWT rounds are genuine and they ring, but not like, say, a Morgan. The Pan Am rounds ring a little better, but again, not like old silver dollars.

The ringing is controlled not just by the composition of the material, but also by the structure. The imprinted design can definitely affect the Q. Just as you can make pure silver rounds with less-than-ideal physical shape for high Q resonance, you can also make non-silver rounds with nice pure bell-like tones.

After all, bells and gongs are often made out of bronze, and they ring. Tuning forks are steel, and they ring.

I think that if you aren't familiar with the sound of a specific kind of round it would be difficult and unwise to judge the material by the sound alone.

redneck
18th July 2008, 12:16
I wonder why they did not make the silver eagles?

I've seen a fake silver eagle, in a group of various fake dollars(variety from early 1800's,trade $s, morgans, an Ike, & the Eagle) that were loaned to me ( obtained from Philippines ) to determine the approx. values... on close inspection, I could tell they were all poured into molds (not struck)... from flow lines and splatter droplets, & overall weakness in details.
Any how.... the funny thing about the fake Silver Eagle was that it was dated 1905.
Thought y'all might get a chuckle out of that.:D

hiyosilver
18th July 2008, 14:53
The coins I have are struck coins, and well done at that. There's a serious problem though with the seated liberty. It has the wrong reverse to go with the obverse, and it's 180 degrees out, but someone not educated in such things wouldn't know the difference.

goldminer
18th July 2008, 14:54
A dealer who's been the business a long time tells me he's see counterfeit ASE's...some of them really crappy but also some that look good.