PDA

View Full Version : Question for the parents out there....

balou2
15th July 2008, 23:08
So, while we gather here for a common love of the white gold, I'm curious...how many of you out there intend to utilize any/all of your PM for college tuition for your children?

I have two kids- one going in to 4th grade, one going in to kindergarten. That gives me roughly 10 years before my first child will (hopefully) start college. With the dollar where it is, and inflation where IT is, and tuitions where they'll be in ten years, how many folks out there consider using PM to convert to cash for tuition?

What other byways or practices do you follow for your child/children's college saving? I'm finding it harder and harder and pack money away for this.

Salary - $1700/month rent - car insurance payments - bills (no debt) - miscellaneous, but controlled spending = very little left for personal savings let alone a college fund.

Just curious.

pkrebaum
16th July 2008, 09:02
If there's any left by then, sure.

I hope by then the USA will get on board with the rest of the industrial world and make college free for those who can keep up a good GPA. Oh, wait.... we used to have financial grants that kinda did that before Reagan got elected..... and before that we had a GI bill.

nuslvrkwen
17th July 2008, 17:36
Argentum had one of those 525 plans? He cashed it in and bought PMs for his daughter's college fund. He's got 10 years before she goes to college also. Read the $10K on PMs thread in the Silver Market section. I thought it was a great idea!

hiyosilver
18th July 2008, 16:21
I went in to see a CPA yesterday to discuss some legal details of some investments for my child. After she questioned my reasons, she began raising her voice at me and became obviously shaken. I honestly believe she became frightened for her own investments because my reasoning made too much sense, but didn't actually want to admit it. I just said, madame, you're a waste of my time, and got up and walked out...hehe...Just thought I'd add that in this thread.

Argentum
19th July 2008, 07:59
Bit late to this thread, didn't see it.

I cashed in what was left of a my daughters 512b mutual fund to invest in PM's. It came to a wee bit under 10k. The lady whom I spoke with was very "concerned" when I called to cash in.

I'm also in the 10 year time frame - and I know that there will be very little chance for me to insure a "full ride" via my investments. I will do the best I can, with what we have - just as my wife and I did. We both worked, got grants, scholarships, loans, savings, and of course got some help from parents. We ate a lot of Ramen Noodles, Mac & Cheese, and hot dogs ((oh, beer naturally)). That was itís own learning experience too.

I truly donít stress over it much. In every job Iíve been in, there was maybe a handful of folks who bragged about the college they went too. ((in a non sports way Ė you know what I mean)) As far as I can see, or tell, that certification is printed on paper and mostly one step up from fiat money. Iíve seem some real nut jobs with a whole lot of letters behind their names. Yes, yes, of course I think education is important. Iím just not going to go insane, in debt, and broke getting her into such and such school.

goldminer
24th July 2008, 21:00
If I were a gambler I would bet even odds that in 15 years the U.S. Federal "State" will be paying all education costs and selecting the individuals who will be permitted to go to college.

If you ever heard the saying "It happened that way, moving west"...this is
"It will happen that way moving left."

skijake
24th July 2008, 22:28
I went in to see a CPA yesterday to discuss some legal details of some investments for my child. After she questioned my reasons, she began raising her voice at me and became obviously shaken. I honestly believe she became frightened for her own investments because my reasoning made too much sense, but didn't actually want to admit it. I just said, madame, you're a waste of my time, and got up and walked out...hehe...Just thought I'd add that in this thread.

You realize that if your comments cause her physical or emotional stress or injury, you're liable. You have got to take it EZ on these folks. LOL

Raven
25th July 2008, 00:42
I'll do what been done in my family for generations. Tell them to join the service and have uncle sam pay for college or work thier way through college. It builds character and teaches them to value time and money instead of wasting it. Love my children but thats the way it is. I have lots of sucessful people in my family tree and a few bums, all depends on how much they want it.

nuslvrkwen
25th July 2008, 18:29
Having grown up in a military family; losing my father, grandfather, and uncle to some politician's idea of a good business deal - is such a waste. Never trust them; they don't have your best interest at heart. I was anti military growing up so that could be a problem for your kids. Despite your feelings. Can you really see risking your kid's life and brain power in military service so he or she can simply go to college? I respect the fact the majority of the posters here in this forum may have some military experience but they didn't just think that was all there was for them education wise after getting out. Self teaching is really the key to wealth, IMHO.

My son has a degree in Aeronautical Engineering, but builds nuclear powered submarines at Northrop Grumman. The nation's oldest shipyard. He went to a private college (Embry Riddle; its' rated higher in engineering than Stanford). He's never been in the service. And its' his work that keeps those guys on the subs safe and them functioning. He's even got patents on some of the features. His $70K tuition (grad:1998) was paid for by loans, grants, and scholarships. I'm a former single parent. I didn't win the lotto or anything. He wouldn't have gotten where he is now, without first understanding how to find answers for himself when he was growing up. Guess who taught him?

I'm not writing all this to brag, Raven. But to illustrate what happens when a parent closes the door of opportunity to their kids because they themselves can't see the goal the kid is headed for. All the stuff I went through with his growing up has been rewarded - he's a great & respected friend now he's an adult. I can not do the math he seems to think is fun. When he was in 8th grade he helpted ME with geometry. But when he was first learning to talk he learned counting on his fingers - it turned out to be the Slingerland method for math...never can tell! :p

Phaeton
25th July 2008, 21:56
Self teaching is really the key to wealth, IMHO.

Though I am extremely pro-military and tried joining many years ago (not for college tuition but to serve), I completely agree with you in regards to self-teaching. Aside from doctors, lawyers, engineers and a few other professions, I really don't see this "need" for college education. In my current profession (information tech.) I work with many people in and out of IT who say that half the things they learnt in school, for their profession, is not serving them well and they taught themselves what they really needed to know to make it. Experts claim that college "really" prepares you for this world, which to me is nonsense. If I need to spend 30-40K to be prepared for this world, just friggin shoot me instead!

Making a good living and difference in the working world requires modesty, strong work ethic, morals and ambition. Otherwise, college degree or not....
I have too many friends who, with their degree, feel that they deserve things they can't afford since that "paper" elevates them to a new status... and they're in debt up to their eyeballs between these things and tuition payments getting paid a "high school level" salary because they can't get a job in their field because they have no actual experience.... and they don't understand as they did everything they were told to do...

Robert Green Ingersoll said it best, I think:
It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.

I'm sorry if I insulted anyone and if you have a degree and are doing what you love, (like your son, nuslvrkwen) then more power to you! I just have too many examples of failed college education around me and have been force-fed college by my parents/teachers/principals since I graduated HS in 2000 - that it's left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

... I do believe in taking a class to be certified in something, however.

nuslvrkwen
28th July 2008, 16:47
I'm not trying to do that! I was in IT also. IT is the only profession I can think of where self teaching is used in real time! I'm thinking THE MAJORITY of people who come to that profession (IT) like to solve problems. And help people! They have to figure out how things broke so they can fix them in a timely fashion. Lately, I've seen what's going on in recruiting for the military. They don't tell you anything that's useful. Like medical and death benefits.

My reason for putting my opinion here is because I couldn't predict the future. My mom believed if there was something a kid wanted to do. It would be out there. But she wasn't very good at learning on her own! Ari (son's name) was capable of doing things me and his grandmother (who made money as a musician) could NOT do! By paying attention to THAT and facilitating it - we reaped the benefits years later. Even before he became an adult!! My son drove me crazy when he was very young because he showed an interest in numbers. Back when he was 3 for example: he'd read phone numbers on billboards by using his fingers!! Hold up your fingers for this number for example:457-9685. He would do this very quickly... I was LOUSY at math. So I went to school supply stores and everything with my limited funds looking for stuff he'd think was fun! Or try this: we'd be on the bus riding home with our groceries and he'd do the same thing with the prices on the sales receipt!! Then as he got older, he was able to show us how quickly he could figure stuff out with numbers...

Later when he got into Riddle: He'd go to the airport, and hang out at the farthest end of the airport and he could estimate the speed of jets based on how far away from the airport they were before they got to the run way. Then he'd show me why certain flaps had to be set at an angle to cause the plane to land and slow to taxi. We knew he was great at math by then; but to him doing this was 'playing'! Some play!

The best part about Argentum's plan is his daughter gets to learn first hand about investing in PMs. I bet anything he's doing this not just because she's his daughter and he likes her. She has a skill! I would never have been able to predict this kid of mine would be this engineer! NOW, I'm trying to get him off paper money. I'm trying to get him to invest in PMs.

I've never been one for a degree for things either. When my son was growing up; I knew he'd need college and a degree. He's definitely NOT an entrepreneur...

coinboy1
28th July 2008, 18:25
Im not a parent but I can give you my perspective, as a college student.

I would first like to say its a very good thing you are thinking about your daughter's future. Education is very important to me. I hope you instill the desire for her to learn and to further her education. As long as she is serious about pursuing higher education I dont think you should worry much because there will be many opportunities for her along the way to pay for college.

My parents had little money for me for college so I found a way to pay for my education through the militiary. I joined the Air Force Reserves so I only had a military obligation to one weekend a month, two weeks a year. I recieved GI BILL which paid for my education to get my A&P license (cert. aicraft mechanic). A long the way I found out the Air National Guard has a better education deal with tuition waiver, + $$$ bonus, + GI BILL. I am now going to college to get my bachelors and soon masters degree. I have not gone into debt nor had to pull any student loans and I have a nice surplus of silver coin. Military is a good option for me.

There are many options available to your daughter when she is ready for college im sure. If you instill within your daughter good financial sense, good work ethics, and the pursuit of knowledge I am sure you will have no worries about her future education.

By the way I think PM's is a great investment for her future. I wish my parents would have done the same. Now I am obligated to the military but my education is worth it. I am glad you have a concern for your daughter and I respect people who think of the future like that.

nuslvrkwen
29th July 2008, 14:14
This thread is about kids and investment in their education! SEE what you get when you listen to your kids and facilitate their own growth? He's an adult, anti - war, and he assists the military...

WowÖ..this is the boat (and crew) that we ship checked in San Diego.

Ari (son's name) He visited me in SF after he completed this ship check in SD in March of this year!

Jo (nuslvrkwen)

Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:32 AM

Subject: FW: Northrop Grumman Pride

Submarine Team -- Please take a minute today to read the email below from a fellow Northrop Grumman employee who had the opportunity to ride USS Jefferson City. He offers some feedback from his trip:

This is the ultimate compliment to our team - those who built USS Jefferson City and all of us who are supporting the SSN688 Fleet now and building the follow-on SSN774 Fleet. Please pass this through your organizations. Thanks.

Becky Stewart
VP Submarine Programs

Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 7:22 AM
To: Petters, Mike
Subject: Northrop Grumman Pride

Mike,

My name is Kevin Houley. I work as a program manager in the IT Sector Intelligence Group (TASC) supporting our customer in Fort Meade. I wanted to pass along a quick note of appreciation and recognition to your tremendous team in Newport News.

My father is a retired Navy Submariner (RADM Bill Houley) and two weeks ago, he and I, along with my 10 year old son, traveled to San Diego to spend a day on the USS Jefferson City. The Commanding Officer, CDR John Zimmerman, was one of my father's Flag Lieutenants and was kind enough to invite us out for a most memorable trip. Of course, I proudly wore my Northrop Grumman shirt and based on the feedback I received from CDR Zimmerman's crew , I felt compelled to pass along so you can share with your fine crew. As we traversed a small area of the Pacific Ocean for 12 hours, the performance of the boat was more than impressive. I spent many weekends and day trips with my father when I was younger and he commanded his own boat, but my previous experiences paled in comparison to the Jefferson City.

As I stood in the control room with CDR Zimmerman as he conducted his angles & dangles and high speed turns, he remarked to me that "Northrop Grumman builds the best and meanest boats in the world" and he would proudly command any boat we made - surface or submarine. As I sat on the bridge with the COB, he mentioned to me that "they would never attempt to 'do what they do' if they did not have the utmost confidence in the design and construction of the sub." I asked him if he could change anything on the design of the boat, what would it beÖhis only comment was "a bigger freezer so we could stay out longer." I suppose that could mean a lot of things but the look in his eye told me that there was anything they couldn't do with the submarine. The spirit was high among the crew as they recently returned from a very successful SPECOP. I felt like I was sitting in the locker room of the Super Bowl Champions.

I am sure you get many notes like this, perhaps directly from our sailors serving aboard our ships but for me, to have a young officer look me in the eye, shake my hand and thank me for making a good shipÖwell, that was a great feeling.

I would be remiss if I did not pass the thanks along to the men and women in Shipbuilding who make it all happen. Congratulations on a job well done. Best of luck to you and all of your crew.

Regards,
Kevin Houley

Go Navy !

Kevin P. Houley
Cryptologic Systems Division
Intelligence Operations
Northrop Grumman IT Intelligence (TASC)
2701 Technology Drive Suite 120
Annapolis Junction, MD 20701

Whenever he gets recognized for things; and Ari gets recognized alot! All I can do is smile!;)

Trvlr45
8th August 2008, 03:49
If I were a gambler I would bet even odds that in 15 years the U.S. Federal "State" will be paying all education costs and selecting the individuals who will be permitted to go to college.

Yep, you are right on the money. Any parent in this country needs to read "The Intentional Dumbing Down Of America" by Charlotte Iyserbyt. It is also available for a free download on the internet.

I don't have kids for a reason but I love the hell out of them.

Trvlr45
8th August 2008, 04:05
I hope by then the USA will get on board with the rest of the industrial world and make college free for those who can keep up a good GPA. Oh, wait.... we used to have financial grants that kinda did that before Reagan got elected..... and before that we had a GI bill.

Everything for free is exactly how this country got into the mess we are in economically. Do you have any idea how much money Harvard, for example, is making off the "indoctrination" of the kids in this country? Talk about windfall profits! It is in the billions! Why in the hell should someone who doesn't have any kids want to be forced to pay for the indoctrination of someone elses? Especially when we have classes in todays colleges entitled, "Marxism, Should We Give It Another Try?" like at Amhearst College in Taxachuessets where poverty level is now at $54,000 a year!

I would STRONGLY suggest you read "The Intentional Dumbing Down Of America" by Charlotte Iserbyt. Protecting kids from the "education" system in this country is paramount to our survuval.

Trvlr45
8th August 2008, 04:08
I hope by then the USA will get on board with the rest of the industrial world and make college free

The industrial world? What ever happened to the "Free World"? Oh, I forgot, it doesn't exist anymore. The government makes ALL decisions for the serfs.

buff
18th September 2008, 21:31
If there's any left by then, sure.

I am sorry that the country ran out of college welfare programs for your kids.
Maybe some of you could just go to work. That would also require you to give up the deer lease, diesel truck, atv, bass barge and beach cabin. You know, the kind of things the rest of who pay college tuition do without.

buff
18th September 2008, 21:32

If you are so smart, why aren't you a CPA?

buff
18th September 2008, 21:37
Bit late to this thread, didn't see it.

I cashed in what was left of a my daughters 512b mutual fund to invest in PM's. It came to a wee bit under 10k. The lady whom I spoke with was very "concerned" when I called to cash in.

I'm also in the 10 year time frame - and I know that there will be very little chance for me to insure a "full ride" via my investments. I will do the best I can, with what we have - just as my wife and I did. We both worked, got grants, scholarships, loans, savings, and of course got some help from parents. We ate a lot of Ramen Noodles, Mac & Cheese, and hot dogs ((oh, beer naturally)). That was itís own learning experience too.

I truly donít stress over it much. In every job Iíve been in, there was maybe a handful of folks who bragged about the college they went too. ((in a non sports way Ė you know what I mean)) As far as I can see, or tell, that certification is printed on paper and mostly one step up from fiat money. Iíve seem some real nut jobs with a whole lot of letters behind their names. Yes, yes, of course I think education is important. Iím just not going to go insane, in debt, and broke getting her into such and such school.

The people without any education usually have the most complaints about how it works.

buff
18th September 2008, 21:46
I'll do what been done in my family for generations. Tell them to join the service and have uncle sam pay for college or work thier way through college. It builds character and teaches them to value time and money instead of wasting it. Love my children but thats the way it is. I have lots of sucessful people in my family tree and a few bums, all depends on how much they want it.

I am going to send my son and two girls to school the old fashion way by paying for it myself. Coming back in a box, or with limbs missing and a brain that does not work properly is a high price to pay for character building, and to learn the value of time and money. I do not know what kind of a father you are but I do know what kind of an idiot you are.

buff
18th September 2008, 21:53
Self teaching is really the key to wealth, IMHO.

My son has a degree in Aeronautical Engineering, but builds nuclear powered submarines at Northrop Grumman. The nation's oldest shipyard. He went to a private college (Embry Riddle; its' rated higher in engineering than Stanford). :p

Well, so much for the theory about self teaching being the real key to wealth.

buff
18th September 2008, 22:05
I completely agree with you in regards to self-teaching. Aside from doctors, lawyers, engineers and a few other professions, I really don't see this "need" for college education. I work with many people half the things they learnt in school is not serving them well. That college "really" prepares you for this world to me is nonsense. If I need to spend 30-40K to be prepared for this world, just friggin shoot me instead!

... I do believe in taking a class to be certified in something, however.

Now, this certification you approve of where things can be "learnt," are the programs of study at a university where nurses, doctors, engineers, teachers, CPA's, Med tech's of all kinds and the like are certified? Again, people without any eduction have the most problem with it. What an idiot. I wonder if the Japs, Chinese and Indians think like this guy?

buff
18th September 2008, 22:17
I hope the USA will get on board with the rest of the industrial world and make college free.

Yeah, I am with you. We could just make the college educated people who make good money pay for it. That way, all of the slugs could get a free ride.

MetalWorx
19th September 2008, 03:16
....according to this guy it looks like all of us here are lazy, stupid, good for nothing, uneducated, poor white trash people who live off the government.
Hows that for all of us. :rolleyes:

I am sorry that the country ran out of college welfare programs for your kids.
Maybe some of you could just go to work. That would also require you to give up the dear lease, diesel truck, atv, bass barge and beach cabin. You know, the kind of things the rest of who pay college tuition do without.

If you are so smart, why aren't you a CPA?

The people without any education usually have the most complaints about how it works.

I am going to send my son and two girls to school the old fashion way by paying for it myself. Coming back in a box, or with limbs missing and a brain that does not work properly is a high price to pay for chracter building, and to learn the value of time and money. I do not know what kind of a father you are but I do know what kind of an idiot you are.

Well, so much for the theory about self teaching being the real key to wealth.

Now, this certification you approve of where things can be "learnt," are the programs of study at a university where nurses, doctors, engineers, teachers, CPA's, Med tech's of all kinds and the like are certified? Again, people without any eduction have the most problem with it. What an idiot. I wonder if the Japs, Chinese and Indians think like this guy?

Yeah, I am with you. We could just make the college educated people who make good money pay for it. That way, all of the slugs could get a free ride.

buff
19th September 2008, 12:56
....according to this guy it looks like all of us here are lazy, stupid, good for nothing, uneducated, poor white trash people who live off the government.
Hows that for all of us. :rolleyes:

Yes, you have it about right. But you did not mention the slugs and idiots. What do you call a parent who will not educate his children to where they can make a living and support his grandchildren? How about that parent who thought it a good idea to send his sons and daughters off to dodge lead in Iraq for educational benefits? Of course, the first thing they may have to learn is how to walk and talk again and how to work out a wheel chair for the rest of their life. They will also have to live with the fact that they had to kill a number of people for their educational benefits. Some of them will have been old men, women and children who also would have liked to have and education too but your son and daughter killed them to get theirs. What idiots you people are.

nuslvrkwen
19th September 2008, 18:37
This is to you personally Buff, or should I type BOOF. I'm GLAD SOME of us ACTUALLY HAVE LEARNED SOME THINGS other than how to call others names. Nobody wants to know you man. Leave.

averagejoe
19th September 2008, 22:21
AMEN Nuslvrkwen! This guy needs to try to live on fast food restaurant wages or even factory wages and try to put his kids thru college. Not everyone in this country was born with a silver spoon in their mouth. He obviuosly has no idea how the common man has to live in this country.

buff
19th September 2008, 22:43
This is to you personally Buff, or should I type BOOF. I'm GLAD SOME of us ACTUALLY HAVE LEARNED SOME THINGS other than how to call others names. Nobody wants to know you man. Leave.

It is the people who do not have any education that have the most problems with how the education system works. Buying lottery tickets, silver coins and getting your children shot up and killed in Iraq are not ways to finance their education. Especially that idea of having your children join the military so they can kill uneducated soldiers, women and children so they can earn education benefits. What idiots.

buff
19th September 2008, 22:53
AMEN Nuslvrkwen! This guy needs to try to live on fast food restaurant wages or even factory wages and try to put his kids thru college. Not everyone in this country was born with a silver spoon in their mouth. He obviuosly has no idea how the common man has to live in this country.

When I was in high school and college I lived fast food wages, janitor's wages, paperboy wages and whatever else I could get. I never could get that factory wage.

Eighty percent of today's high school students graduate with only simi-literate reading and writing skills at best. And, they can not manipulate single digit numbers in their head...let along point north. One third do not read, write, add or substract at all. So, many of you will not have to worry about the expense of sending your kids on to acquire a higher education. For the rest of you, the story is not any better. Two thirds of college students will drop out. So, all of those silver coins you are saving will be poorly spent.

Here is the math...80% of high school graduates can not read a college text book. If all of the remaining 20% went off to college, 2/3's would drop out. So, all of you can stop worrying about sending your kids off to college.

averagejoe
20th September 2008, 00:44
Just how do you think the rest of us were brought up? Most of us on this forum have had to work our way from the time we were in grade school. My Dad did not hand life to me he made me go out and earn it just like a lot of others on this forum so your nothing unique. Instead of criticizing and cutting folks down why don't you come down off of your pedestal and try to be part of the solution and come up with some creative ideas as to how a parent with limited income can get their kids thru high school and college.

buff
20th September 2008, 01:07
come up with some creative ideas as to how a parent with limited income can get their kids thru high school and college.

Do you mean some ways to get kids through college without saving silver coins and killing the illiterate of third world countries to earn military benefits?
A huge number of you are not paying attention to what subjects your children are taking in school. Because of grade inflation, you think the A and B grades on report cards mean they are learning how to read, write, add and subtract. Actually, 85% of all grades given are an A or B. There is no "average" student anymore. And, a failing student is almost extinct because we do not want him to feel bad about himself. No one at your local high school wants to admit it but tracks still exist. Find out which one your child is on. It will be too late for too many. If your child is not reading and writing on level by the fourth grade they will never catch up.

buff
20th September 2008, 13:39
MetalWorx

"The truth is often painful but we are seldom at liberty to look away from it."
M. B. Lamar

Only about 10% of high school graduates will earn a college degree today. The other 90% will not become college educated. It is not because of the cost. It is because they are either too stupid or too lazy.

Trvlr45
13th October 2008, 05:10

Hello Buff,

The college for free statement wasn't made by me. I would never support a social program of any kind. Why in the hell should I or anyone else pay for someone elses college degree?

If you go back and look at my post it was just the opposite.

fansubs_ca
20th October 2008, 04:26
MetalWorx

"The truth is often painful but we are seldom at liberty to look away from it."
M. B. Lamar

Only about 10% of high school graduates will earn a college degree today. The other 90% will not become college educated. It is not because of the cost. It is because they are either too stupid or too lazy.

My experience is that intelligence and education are 2 unrelated things that
may or may not correlate. Offhand I can think of a pretty dumb person that
went to college and a pretty smart person who dropped out of high school.

I decided to not go to college (did finish high school though) and had a
paid for house by the age of 26 so I apparently have the brains to handle
money and the initiative to work for it. ^_-

(It's absolutely amazing how much the average person spends on alcohol,
tobacco and their car! $_$)

Basically I decided that the risk/reward ratio didn't make sense for me
because I am more risk averse than the average person. Two quotes from
"The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith (his spelling of "choose", not mine
^_-):

"That the chance of loss is frequently undervalued, and scarce ever valued
more than it is worth,"
"The contempt of risk and the presumptous hope of success, are in no
period of life more active that at the age which young people chuse their
professions"

I read that about 15 years after I pretty much came to the conclusion
on my own that everyone around me was overly optimistic.

My experience at least here in Canada is that a lot of people go to college
and either fail or they pass but don't end up using what they learned.
(So they now also carry the burden of a debt.) Sure a certain portion
do well, but the total burden of those who lose seems to exceed the
total gain to those who succeed, all because they undervalued the risk.
Hmmm? Seems like sub-prime... ^_-

College makes sense for people who know exactly what they want to do
and a relatively certain they are up to it, but for many it becomes a very
expensive way of killing time. The average person at 18 is over optimistic
so throw in a little pressure by others of what they "should" do and some
governemnt subsidies with access to credit and a lot of people take a
course that's the wrong choice for them wasting much time and money.
So the idea that "everybody should go to college" doesn't make sense
to me.

Sometimes not going to college _is_ the smart thing to do!

hiyosilver
21st October 2008, 00:52
It seems to me, a person who has their priorities in order will succeed in whatever direction they choose. Because then, their choices are not based on hasty decisions, but on example, planning, and an honest desire for success. Rather than lust, greed, and self gratification at the heartbreak and expense of others.

buff
25th October 2008, 21:37
College makes sense for people who know exactly what they want to do
and a relatively certain they are up to it.

Sometimes not going to college _is_ the smart thing to do!

So, you thought it was smart to go through life under educated or did college just not make sense and you were certain you were not up to it.

People without a higher education do make a living. But the rule is that better educated people make better incomes.

Although education is often about a better quality employment and income, it also is about the quality of your life and how you interact with the world.

By not seeking out an education for yourself, you have depreciated the opportunity to educate your own children, assuming they are up to it, have an ambition and feel it makes sense.