PDA

View Full Version : Engelhard Bar 911!

minesmoria
15th July 2008, 00:02
I got my second engelhard 100 oz bar today, and on one of the bar sides is rough not smooth.

Is this normal with some of the bars sometimes, it does have a bit of black tarnish as well. Looks like it was never smooth out polished what ever they do.

I might post a picture.

hiyosilver
15th July 2008, 02:07
First, did you receive the bar from a reliable source?

minesmoria
15th July 2008, 17:56
It came from ebay and it had its case, i dont know if some of the bars come like that.

JesterJay
15th July 2008, 19:12
Yes, please do post some pics.
I have seen and owned many different REAL Engelhard 100 oz silver bars.
It may be comparable to something I am familiar with.
Poured or extruded?
JesterJay

I got my second engelhard 100 oz bar today, and on one of the bar sides is rough not smooth.

Is this normal with some of the bars sometimes, it does have a bit of black tarnish as well. Looks like it was never smooth out polished what ever they do.

I might post a picture.

minesmoria
15th July 2008, 19:24
Its extruded type when i get some time i will post a picture.

JesterJay
15th July 2008, 19:30
It should be very consistent if it is extruded. Four very smooth sides with the ends cut off. Bzzzzzzzzzzzz.
JesterJay

Its extruded type when i get some time i will post a picture.

goldminer
15th July 2008, 20:24
A person can be at risk with 100 oz. extruded Engelhard bars. A lot of them were drilled and filled with lead when the price of silver reached 50-plus USdollars back in the early 1980's Reporedly many people unwittingly purchased the bars and the sat on them for years and years. I've heard from a good source that Gage, a very large and well respecte bullion dealer in Texas has reported that they have seen as many as 1 in 40 of these bars when tested, was drilled and filled. This is the reason why most little guys avoid that 100 oz. bar. There are other reasons they avoid all silver bars > 10 oz.

Holes were drilled into one end & about 50 oz. of Ag removed. The holes were then filled with lead, a layer of silver was replaced over the end and then the end was machined smooth & polished so that the only way a person could tell if a bar is legit is to drill or cut into it.

Will try to post a picture.

Have a good one but don't know how to post it.

hiyosilver
15th July 2008, 23:17
If you suspend it with a piece of twine and tap it with something hard that won't mar the surface, does it dinnngggggg?

Also you said this was your second, does it sound the same as the first?

minesmoria
16th July 2008, 00:26
If you suspend it with a piece of twine and tap it with something hard that won't mar the surface, does it dinnngggggg?

Also you said this was your second, does it sound the same as the first?

Yes both bars do make the exact same bell noise any were you hit the bar is this good?

The end is more like slight smooth bump.

I was going to post it here but i would have to resize it.

If you email me ican send pic, minesmoria@yahoo.com

hiyosilver
16th July 2008, 00:48
You might attach as a file here in the forum:

The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make.

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

After posting, the image attachments may display a thumbnail, depending on the forum settings. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon.

Irons
16th July 2008, 05:56
30 10 oz bars are the biggest I will buy.

pkrebaum
16th July 2008, 06:46
Gosh that is dastardly !!!

If someone has one it would be nice if they could record the "ring" sound of it, along with a real silver 100 Oz. bar. Then post an MP3 of it here as a self-extracting ZIP file.

hiyosilver
16th July 2008, 15:58
Gosh that is dastardly !!!

If someone has one it would be nice if they could record the "ring" sound of it, along with a real silver 100 Oz. bar. Then post an MP3 of it here as a self-extracting ZIP file.

hehe, I don't think a leadfilled would ring at all.....but I am suspicious of there being one rough side. Maybe shaved or something...

Minesmoria, does the bar weigh the full 100 troy ounces?

Irons
16th July 2008, 16:23
The reason I'm so wary of the bigger bars is I was a machininst for many years, and if you click on the picture to make it bigger you will see how precice those holes were drilled to remove the maximum amount of silver without creating a bulge or breaking through.
That wasn't done with a hand drill or drill press. it was done with a pressureized oil cooled gundrill, and those are far from cheap!!
All in all most likely a good sized operation that turned out a lot of bars like this, it just woulden't be worth it to drill out just a few.:evil:

ballininthamix
16th July 2008, 17:36
The reason I'm so wary of the bigger bars is I was a machininst for many years, and if you click on the picture to make it bigger you will see how precice those holes were drilled to remove the maximum amount of silver without creating a bulge or breaking through.
That wasn't done with a hand drill or drill press. it was done with a pressureized oil cooled gundrill, and those are far from cheap!!
All in all most likely a good sized operation that turned out a lot of bars like this, it just woulden't be worth it to drill out just a few.:evil:

Unless maybe you had access to one to begin with, but still...

Definitely be wary.

Drumblebum
16th July 2008, 17:40
I posted on a thread about an experience I had with two Apmex 100oz engels... I sent them back for replacements. Pictures should be around here somewhere...

Irons
16th July 2008, 19:22
Unless maybe you had access to one to begin with, but still...
Definitely be wary.
Of course I had acess to gundrills einstein, How else do you think I could identify so easily what had been done to them?
Its not just the precice drilling, the end of the bar had to be replaced.That included precice metal replacement and benching, called polishing by laymen,somebody experienced enough to bring back the original lines and flats and a welder good enough to replace metal without leaving pitts.
The discoloration from welding also had to be eliminated and the welders temp had to be perfect or it would have left warps and waves.
I know all this because I machined plastic injection molds for 21 years.

ballininthamix
16th July 2008, 19:26
I didn't say I was an expert. All I was saying was it would be easier if you had access to a drill in lieu of having to buy one. That's all. Thanks for the info though.

minesmoria
17th July 2008, 13:30
Border gold said they also do get some engelhard bars that have that type of edge no problems.