PDA

View Full Version : Engelhard 100 oz bars, $1500!!!!

balou2
14th July 2008, 00:31
Hope this is kosher. I'm always a little leery off of ebay, but this person has 100% feedback, so I took a chance. I saw it listed two hours ago, and they had 7 in stock. They're down to 5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330252746601&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 330252746601%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

hiyosilver
14th July 2008, 00:39
Whoa, $15.23 per ounce shipped insured, can't beat that!

Boy, that didn't take long...no more available...

skijake
14th July 2008, 00:54
This item has been removed as per E-bay. I was willing to take a chance with Pay-Pals 2000.00 backup , but looks like no more.

balou2
14th July 2008, 01:00
I DID take a chance, and not only is the item gone, but my paypal has reversed the charge already. Anyone have any idea why something like that would happen?

skijake
14th July 2008, 01:06
My charge still stands but it doesn't say I won the item in Items you have Won category. My guess is a false listing that they scrambled to get reversed. I'll take that chance with the Pay-Pal backing even if it sounds too good. Haven't been burned yet. Knock on wood.

hiyosilver
14th July 2008, 01:08
I don't know, but like Judge Judy says...if something doesn't make sense, it usually isn't true.....sorry it didn't work out balou2, I was going to jump in too......I'll bet it wasn't supposed to be "buy now", because the ad did say 'happy bidding'

balou2
14th July 2008, 01:11
Yeh...I'm in the same boat. Hoping Paypal will do it's thing and come through with their protection. The ONLY time I've ever been burned on ebay out of hundreds of transactions, was on silver, about 5 years ago. The guy flaked, never sent, I filed a claim, and Paypal covered it. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

balou2
14th July 2008, 01:13
I DID take a chance, and not only is the item gone, but my paypal has reversed the charge already. Anyone have any idea why something like that would happen?

And this is NOT true...I just read it wrong. The charges are still in my Paypal, but the items are gone from my ebay.

skijake
14th July 2008, 01:15
Gets the heart pumping for alittle bit. Pretty soon when these bars are going for 2k + the Pay-Pal backing won't even be good enough to entice me. Good try though! P.S. Pay-Pal will get it right

hiyosilver
14th July 2008, 01:20
keep me posted on how this works out, another few seconds, and I would have been in the same boat...

hehe, yeah, my heart was pumping, and my transaction didn't even make it through....phew, a close one.

probably all our hits set off an alert...hehe

balou2
14th July 2008, 01:21
I sent eBay a message as well. Doubt anything will come of it. Keep me posted on your end of things as to what happens.

skijake
14th July 2008, 01:30
Like any finacial institution they are quick to take your money, not quite as fast when it comes to giving it back. Seen this before. Might take 24. The Pay-Pal backing on the item is the strength. Some sellers only garner a $200 backing. They have to back this purchase because of the 2k rating. All good.

balou2
14th July 2008, 02:03
Sure enough...no longer a registered user.

JesterJay
14th July 2008, 16:40
IF something looks too good to be true...

IT IS!!!!!!!!!

They could have taken these bars to most ANY coin shop and gotten $1.00 under spot or MORE!

JesterJay
PS Uh, I got into a cheap roll of Eagles once. Did not lose my money.
But learned the above motto I now live by on ebay.

I don't know, but like Judge Judy says...if something doesn't make sense, it usually isn't true.....sorry it didn't work out balou2, I was going to jump in too......I'll bet it wasn't supposed to be "buy now", because the ad did say 'happy bidding'

clr8ter
14th July 2008, 17:37
I found an E-bay listing once that had individual SE for $9. SPOT was about 4 bucks more than that at the time. I asked the seller a couple questions and he got kinda bitchy. So I dug a little and found some questionable things on E-Bay about him. Long story short, I resisted the temptation to be greedy, and that username disappeared from E-Bay. The "If it's too good" saying is 110% true, but the lure of a great deal is almost impossible to resist........