PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

ballininthamix
9th July 2008, 18:46
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums here and would like to ask for your expertise and help. I am trying to convince my long-time girlfriend to invest in some PM's, mostly silver. She is reluctant, but she has investable monies that are currently just sitting in a bank account. Her main objection (so far) is that she is saving it for buying a house in a couple years. Anyways she wants me to write her a proposal.

This is where you guys come in. What do you think are the main points I should bring up in my proposal to help convince her? What should I not leave out when discussing this with her? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

clr8ter
9th July 2008, 19:39
Point out that inflation is running at a higher rate than the banks are giving on thier accounts, (net result - bank accounts are loosing you money). Also, show her the figures for PM return in the last couple years, (more than inflation). And, point out that these figures are not guaranteed in the future. My GF & I are in a similar situation, and she recently started with 250 SE!

pkrebaum
9th July 2008, 20:00
That could be a hint at a marriage proposal.....
If she can trust you with her heart she can trust you with her money.
Make your case logically, but remember gut feel wins out.... don't ask her to invest more than 33% of what she has. Or as someone wisely said, never invest more than you feel comfortable losing.
Lastly, don't put it all in one commodity. Mix it up between Gold, Silver, platinum, & palladium...... and maybe a diamond.

Phaeton
9th July 2008, 20:17
Say for example, if you invested $10,000 into any of the following about 8 years ago and never touched it, this is what you would have for a return, if cashed in. I believe in inflation terms (fed's numbers of course. true inflation is higher than this) your 10k would have to be about $12,505 now, just to be worth as much as it was 8 years ago. Please keep that in mind.

DOW - It depends on who you invested in. A few examples
Yahoo - $2,671
Ebay - $14,705
Halliburton - $28,310

CD - 12 month CD renewed every January at the average rate - $14,790

SILVER - $32,450.
GOLD - $32,400

And the winner is.......!

I too want to purchase a house and that's one of many reasons I'm in Silver! What if what the Silver guru's say will happen in a few years, does happen and Silver is now $100/oz or more. Say you purchased 500 oz at $19/oz ($9500). You now would have 50k and one nice down payment. Even if it only doubles in a few years you still have 20k and a better return than most investments. Even if it doesn't move at all and hovers around what it is right now I still wouldn't keep my money in the bank because I have very little faith in them and even less faith in our fake currency that's no longer backed by precious metals, as it used to be. Hope this helps your cause and I hope she sees the true value and true protection that PM's give!

Best of Luck!

skijake
9th July 2008, 21:01
First off, welcome. Second , A girl that is saving for a house? Thats a Keeper! The only way I can explain this is--- I just deleted 2 paragraphs. Keep reading the posts and links in this forum. Learn as much as you can. Time is precious and so are the good people in your life. Its going to be a ride and a half and the gambler in me wouldn't miss it for anything. Absolute finacial insurance. GO get u some! Good Luck

Scrap Metal
10th July 2008, 07:22
On the whole I am against giving financial advice to other people. If the investment turns sour, you will get the blame, and all of the disclaimers in the world will not do you any good.

You say that she is reluctant? Then let her save for the house.

It does not matter how much faith you or anybody on this site has in silver, or how sure you are that the fiat system is dying. Invest your own money, and let her invest hers.

ballininthamix
10th July 2008, 13:51
On the whole I am against giving financial advice to other people. If the investment turns sour, you will get the blame, and all of the disclaimers in the world will not do you any good.

You say that she is reluctant? Then let her save for the house.

It does not matter how much faith you or anybody on this site has in silver, or how sure you are that the fiat system is dying. Invest your own money, and let her invest hers.

I have considered this also and after thinking about it again, I think I will take this course of action.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll continue prowling around here to increase my knowledge in the mean time. :-)

JesterJay
10th July 2008, 16:15
Reluctance is an indicator of ignorance.
NOT A BAD word and certainly not judging anyone. Lack of information is the culprit and nothing more, I believe.
My wife did not understand the HUGE upside potential for silver. That is why she was reluctant to invest in SHINY.
She gets it now. We cashed in our IRA's about 3 or 4 months ago and took the hit. Glad I did too. My 401k is getting anihilated and there is nothing I can do about it.
Girl Friend needs more information. She needs to read Ted Butler and have a few terms explained to her too, perhaps.
Anyone who is reluctant to share in The Quickening is lacking the knowledge to understand the situation.
Saving cash for a house is a noble endeavor, indeed. I happen to be making a gain in my savings far above what can be done with cash by SAVING real money: SILVER!
That's all I have to say about that.
For now,
JesterJay

I have considered this also and after thinking about it again, I think I will take this course of action.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll continue prowling around here to increase my knowledge in the mean time. :-)

anomaly
10th July 2008, 16:45
Wait, you date women who don't invest in silver?

anoma|y

Argentum
10th July 2008, 17:16
This is just one example of how "regular" folks do not see metal as better than cash, or even as money. And the basic COST of inflation. We have such a long way to go in education of the general population.

Educate her, show her the path to walk... but let her take them steps on her own.

Nehpets
11th July 2008, 18:14
You did not say that you invest in PM's.

It is difficult to convince someone that you have the key to increased wealth and security, when your actions or personal profile do not demonstrate this.

If you do have the resources buy a safe and some silver and surprise her. Take her to the safe and open it and show her and say look I too am saving for our home. I am just using silver because it is not damaged by inflation, it increases value faster than paper money in a savings account. etc. etc... If she trusts you and is only unfamiliar with saving in silver perhaps as you demonstrate sucess in the method and she may join you.

Her reluctance to purchase silver may also follow from her lack of faith in you, she may fear if her money is in a safe that you will have access to her money and take it. She may have abandonment issues with her father, past lovers, and subsequently you by extension, or she may not trust you from her legitimate experiences with you.

I do not see why you just don't save your own silver and allow her to join you in a joint effort if she feels comfortable and you have domonstrated the successful accumulation of wealth to her.

I guess that the tone and intent of your letter sounded suspicious to me.
Would you be happy to have her purchase the silver and keep it somewhere like a high quality safe at her residence, if only she knew the " permutations "
(they are not combinations) of the lock mechanism, or is it important for you to know them as well. The question is are you truly concerned for her financial sucess or are you also interested in access to her assets.

If my intentions were pure , I would buy my beloved a 5 oz bar and put it into my safe in her own little lock box for her, when I took out my silver to play with it i would take our hers and hand it to her, I would say lets look up how much our silver is worth on the internet. Oh honey your worth 9 cents less or 14 cents for than last time we checked? Sometimes i would just for no reason bring her home a silver ounce and give it to her and tell her I love her. Lets put in in the safe with your other silver. Tell her it is her silver and anytime she would like me to sell it for her i will. This will make her feel that silver is a reliable and trustworthy plan to her goal of a home.
My wife and I have a little joke, i buy her silver and she keeps what i purchase for her separate from the rest and she calculates it when we take the silver out to play with it , She sings a little song how much do you love me as she taps away on the calculator. We burst out laughing if it is less than last time, and she asks ok who is the Bitch ? when silver is up I say see I told you I love you more all the time.

A word to the wise. Your woman is demonstrating the nesting instinct, It sounds to me like you need to get your act together if you don't want the little birdie to fly away. She is talking house, and you are still talking " power struggle ". Unless you have children together you are way behind.

" The OWL "

clr8ter
11th July 2008, 18:45
Wow. Ballin sounded genuine to me, but what about it, DO you already have some silver? Nehpets did have a point that if you don't have any, why should she, (from her perspective).

SilverHawk
14th July 2008, 00:01
Tell her if she puts all her money in silver coins, now, she'll be able to buy 30 houses cash money, in a few years.

If that doesn't work, tell her she'll be able to buy an entire Macy's Department store and be able to get all the free clothes she'll be able to wear for the rest of her life.

or... copy the SilverHawk posts and let her read them.

ballininthamix
14th July 2008, 12:27
Yes, I have all the silver I can afford. And if she did decide to buy some, I don't care where she keeps it. That being said, I think I have decided to let her come to her own conclusions. I will point her in the right direction and let her decide.

However, I do like the idea of purchasing some for her as a gift.:)

skijake
14th July 2008, 15:04
The replies to this question show how on top of this finacial situation these forum members are. Ask the man on the street or some finacial type and see how different the answers would be. Some members keep mentioning the Quickining. Maybe its coming soon or maybe its a way off but the replies are dead on. Nice job!

clr8ter
18th July 2008, 20:47
Earlier this week, I called my mother to tell her about the INdy Mac failure, and to use the opportunity to hint at silver investment. She got kind of excited when I told her that people were pulling thier money out. She thought that was "a little silly. It's insured by the FDIC." I told her they were not giving people all thier money, just a portion, and in a check, not cash. That didn't change her mind.

Point is, yes, most people have thier heads stuck in the sand as to what's going on, and though she knows I have silver and doesn't think I'm nuts, she's not ready to invest herself.

Also, it occurred to me that maybe those people WILL be OK with thier FDIC insurance. Only 2 banks have failed so far, maybe they can cover it. However, I would pull my money out regardless, and, if a BUNCH of banks failed at once, could the FDIC cover everybod then? I doubt it. And I'm not willing to find out.......

DaveK
18th July 2008, 22:10
if a BUNCH of banks failed at once, could the FDIC cover everybod then?

If the FDIC gets low they'll probably just have the treasury and federal reserve work together to invent as many more billion FRNs as they need to cover the banks.

They know it's nothing but accounting and confidence games.

hiyosilver
18th July 2008, 22:47
They might as well just hand you a roll of toilet paper....

pkrebaum
19th July 2008, 01:25
And thru the miracle of fractional reserve banking, each one of those bailout dollars winds up creating nine more dollars. So if the FED shoots its wad of 55 billion or so..... within a year another half a trillion dollars will have been created to further dilute the existing money supply.

hiyosilver
19th July 2008, 21:49
ok, a handful of second-hand toilet paper then...

DaveK
21st July 2008, 11:35
And thru the miracle of fractional reserve banking, each one of those bailout dollars winds up creating nine more dollars.

Could you go into this a little more? Not the fractional reserve part, but how FDIC funds can result in an increase in the money supply.

I don't know what form the FDIC holds it's assets, but I presume they aren't sitting on a mountain of cash that they stuff in envelopes to FedEx out to failed bank account holders.

As I understand it the FDIC holds some kind of assets that they can use to cover depositors while they figure out what assets the bank has and what they can get for them on the market. Banks like IndyMac that hold a lot of stated-income mortgages won't get much for them, but they also have other assets that still have substantial value.

So the money that the FDIC has to put into a bank isn't necessarily all brand-new dollars that will result in a 9:1 creation of additional new dollars.

Yesterday CSPAN broadcast an interesting interview with the FDIC chairman Sheila Bair in which she spoke about the bank failures. It was interesting that she seemed highly confident that there would be more major bank failures, though she wouldn't name anybody (good idea, she could probably destroy any bank, healthy or not, with a few words to the public).

It is the first item listed here:

http://www.c-span.org/search.aspx?For=Sheila%20Bair

The link is:

rtsp://video1.c-span.org/project/de/news072008_bair.rm

I imagine you have to have Real Player to run that. I don't, so I haven't tried it.