PDA

View Full Version : Engelhard Rounds

Trvlr45
4th July 2008, 21:41
Does anyone have any idea how many Engelhard rounds were minted and how many might still be floating around changing hands? Just curious. Are we talking about millions here? Maybe tens of millions? For how many years did they make them?

Irons
5th July 2008, 19:34
Can't help you on the numbers minted, But I do know they get a premium price over other rounds, as does thier bars.

Trvlr45
5th July 2008, 22:49
Thanks Irons,

I know they collect a premium because I buy them from time to time in very small amounts. I'm not one of the big investors on this site with a lot of disposable income. I like the Engelhards becuase I think they will be easier to sell when the time comes due to them being more highly desired. I think the extra premium I pay won't make a diference if silver ever does go to the moon as some say it will. I'm in this for the very long term benefits. I don't buy and sell on the ups and downs as some do.

Thanks for the input.

Irons
6th July 2008, 20:25
Your welcome, I buy them whenever I see a deal pop up any chance I get.

JesterJay
6th July 2008, 23:52
Engelhard Prospectors SEEM quite available. I have bought many and I also have many Engelhard 10 oz. bars. Both qualify under the "dependable forms" of silver bullion types requirements.
BOTH bring a premium on ebay, just look em up. These are no-brainer (hate that expression) buys and are automatic in recognition and perception of value in bullion.
Numbers ARE in the millions, many times over, I believe. I don't even know if it is recorded ANYWHERE how many were minted.
They have been out of business for years yet MOST all the "Spectors" I see are BU. I can usually pick them up for .55$ over spot at the local coin shop. I buy all I can for that small bump.
JesterJay

Does anyone have any idea how many Engelhard rounds were minted and how many might still be floating around changing hands? Just curious. Are we talking about millions here? Maybe tens of millions? For how many years did they make them?

Trvlr45
7th July 2008, 02:18
Thanks, Jester,

That's why I have been buying Engelhards when I want rounds. I figured they are immediatly recognizable and very liquid. All of the ones I have are in very nice condition. BU as you stated. I did get some that came in sealed plastic and had tarnish on them. I took them out and cleaned them and put them in plastic tubes.

I just recently found out that that is the way some were originally packaged. Considering that they are rounds and not numismatic coins I don't think I ruined the value any, or did I?

goldminer
7th July 2008, 05:49
No harm done cleaning bullion items. Just be careful not to use something that removes some silver...though a small initial amount probably will never be noticed.

That said, some folks believe cleaning may well be important at trade out. A positive visual first impression often means > liquidity.

Other people believe cleaning is a waste of time and might be somewhat detrimental at tradeout...some tarnish shows the item is indeed silver.

Others clean because they view it as good "therapy" and like the look of cleaned bullion.

In the end, it's your choice.

Trvlr45
7th July 2008, 14:51
Hi Goldminer,

I clean my kennedy 90% halves and my Engelhards for all the reasons you just stated. I like the look of clean silver, I think they will sell faster due to a good first impression. Also, the polish I used puts a coating on them that prevents them from tarnishing in the future. So they say.

I ind it hard to believe that one polishing would do anything to the value of a round or a circulated coin that was already passed around for decades. Unless you use steel wool or sandpaper to clean it.