PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 90% Silver Coin

Phaeton
4th July 2008, 10:24
Through the posting advice of Tazzman, JesterJay and others, I've been taking a break with .999 and picking up 90% silver coins. The more I buy the more I'm becoming fond of them. In my opinion, the old 90% silver coins are really the most beautiful coins we have had, in the past 100 years! I find myself picking up a lot of the standing liberty quarters and like those the most. Just curious if anyone had any personal favorites.

SilverTrees
4th July 2008, 10:35
I prefer 90% without dead presidents.Aesthetically, I like the Peace and Morgan Dollars. I also like the Standing Liberty Halves. When counting a bunch of coins it's always easiest with the higher denominations. But when TSHTF, smaller denominations will probably be more useful.

JesterJay
4th July 2008, 12:57
To answer the question with way too many words:
I used to have some beautiful Carson City mint Morgan dollars. The slabbed kind with letters and numbers on them like MS66 that are "worth" thousands of dollars. Very high on the favorite list.
Sold them. TOO beautiful. I got LOTS of bullion for each one.
The prettiest high dollar coin I sold was a 1942 PROOF Walking Liberty half, PF66. Made my local coin dealer drool all over his counter with that one.
Possibly THE sharpest coin I have ever owned.
Generically speaking I like the Merc Dimes and Walker Halves.
Economically speaking you can't beat a slightly worn 1964 Kennedy Half. High Value there. Dimes too for the future "small denomination" need.
Variety is GOOD.
I bought a large quantity of Franklin and Liberty Halves back when I sold My old '98 Explorer. 67,000 miles and near mint condition. Got over $4K for that gas hog. Loved it though. Silver was only 2/3 as expensive as now.
I love those coins more than the old Explorer!
Won't be selling them soon either,
JesterJay

Through the posting advice of Tazzman, JesterJay and others, I've been taking a break with .999 and picking up 90% silver coins. The more I buy the more I'm becoming fond of them. In my opinion, the old 90% silver coins are really the most beautiful coins we have had, in the past 100 years! I find myself picking up a lot of the standing liberty quarters and like those the most. Just curious if anyone had any personal favorites.

clr8ter
4th July 2008, 13:45
Aesthetically speaking, I like the Morgans, Walkers, & Mercurys. Don't really care for the sitting Liberty. Actually, I don't have many of any of these, and realistically, I buy whatever I feel like at the time I'm buying. Ultimately, any silver is good silver!

SilverWhore
4th July 2008, 13:58
I don't own any standing liberty quarters and they do look cool so maybe those would fall under my favorites if I had any...but I do have an afinity for 90% Franklin halves. I like the look of the liberty bell on the back...and I got the hots for ol' Ben and his receding hair line.

Scrap Metal
4th July 2008, 14:47
I only buy 90% from the 1960's, as I think that some day the coins may be weighed by a dealer when I go to sell. Thus, I buy the least worn coins that I can find.

I once stacked 10 worn Mercury dimes next to 10 Roosevelts from 1964. The difference in heights of the stacks was amazing. That means less weight and less silver. :(

I really like Morgans, and one dealer sells them to me at just a tad above regular 90% price, without the "collector's premium."

My favorite design is Walking Liberty, and I get that on my American Eagles.

goldminer
4th July 2008, 16:02
Can't answer your question because I don't have a favorite. One thing I'll suggest though is that you be careful getting Standing Liberty or any other older (say pre-1940) coin. The ones that don't have collector's value are by far mostly severely worn.

Use caution that you don't pay too much for these coins that have lost signficant amounts of silver. One thing you might do is to count out and weigh a lot of the coins you have and then multiply the weight times 90% percent to find out how much silver they have compared with the .715 oz. per $1.00 face value of "average" circulated coins.

Severley worn coins have two down sides. They have less silver and will be less liquid or discounted when traded out. Thus pay according to amount of wear.

balou2
4th July 2008, 18:47
Easy. Morgans and Peace. The Morgs have a bit of antiquity to their look, which is cool, and the obverse on a Peace just appeals to me in very cool way.
Unfortunately, I've not gone down that road yet. I've amassed only .999. I s'pose it's time to re-evaluate this!

Trvlr45
4th July 2008, 21:17
While there are more beautiful coins I stick with the 90% Kennedy halves and at times pay extra for BU for the same reason others have stated. Less wear and less hassle when it comes time to sell. If silver goes to the moon some day the extra cost of the BU's will not be missed.

The other reason I like Kennedy halves? Executive order 11110.

Trvlr45
4th July 2008, 21:20
To answer the question with way too many words:
I used to have some beautiful Carson City mint Morgan dollars. The slabbed kind with letters and numbers on them like MS66 that are "worth" thousands of dollars. Very high on the favorite list.
Sold them. TOO beautiful. I got LOTS of bullion for each one.
The prettiest high dollar coin I sold was a 1942 PROOF Walking Liberty half, PF66. Made my local coin dealer drool all over his counter with that one.
Possibly THE sharpest coin I have ever owned.
Generically speaking I like the Merc Dimes and Walker Halves.
Economically speaking you can't beat a slightly worn 1964 Kennedy Half. High Value there. Dimes too for the future "small denomination" need.
Variety is GOOD.
I bought a large quantity of Franklin and Liberty Halves back when I sold My old '98 Explorer. 67,000 miles and near mint condition. Got over $4K for that gas hog. Loved it though. Silver was only 2/3 as expensive as now.
I love those coins more than the old Explorer!
Won't be selling them soon either,
JesterJay

I will also add, Jester, that your enthusiasm has plenty to do with my decision to buy silver. I hope you and all the other silver enthusiasts are right.

JesterJay
5th July 2008, 00:18
Sorry if I have been unclear,
I REALLY LIKE Silver! And here is why.
My Dad (Papa) has been buying silver since it was in the $4-$5 rut. He has waited a long time for The Quickening. Papa has been diagnosed with cancer and is fighting the good fight. Doing well now, actually. And he is wondering whether he will be around for the Big Action. I am sure he will as it won't take much longer than 5 years from now to see a "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" in the silver world. His prognosis is to live another 10. At least. That would make him 82. He is in good shape otherwise, having just 2 years ago ridden 3500 miles from South Dakota to Alaska with his 2 younger brothers. On bicycles. In only 42 days. Self-supported.***
But to get to my point, all this volatility and ups and downs have made him wonder what is going on. Keep in mind he has been a silver believer for YEARS now.
His question (How do we end the manipulation?) reminds me that this is a LONG term position which MAY take another 5 years to show those of us who bought at $21 much appreciative positive movement in price. I do NOT think it will be much longer from now and prices will double. Two years max, perhaps by the end of the year.
And I just hope and pray that ALL of you on this forum keep to it like my DAD has all these years and you don't get frustrated with all the VOLATILITY that we will see in the near future, starting about 6 months or so in the PAST.
Buy silver and keep at it. Watch what is going on and be prepared to take advantage of the volatility we will see. Ups mean we will probably see a buying opportunity. Downs mean, "BUY!".
So by all means, buy silver.
I hear it's gonna be big!
JesterJay
***Have I ever mentioned that my DAD is a great man and the Coolest guy I know?

I will also add, Jester, that your enthusiasm has plenty to do with my decision to buy silver. I hope you and all the other silver enthusiasts are right.

balou2
5th July 2008, 18:51
Sorry if I have been unclear,
I REALLY LIKE Silver! And here is why.
My Dad (Papa) has been buying silver since it was in the $4-$5 rut. He has waited a long time for The Quickening. Papa has been diagnosed with cancer and is fighting the good fight. Doing well now, actually. And he is wondering whether he will be around for the Big Action. I am sure he will as it won't take much longer than 5 years from now to see a "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" in the silver world. His prognosis is to live another 10. At least. That would make him 82. He is in good shape otherwise, having just 2 years ago ridden 3500 miles from South Dakota to Alaska with his 2 younger brothers. On bicycles. In only 42 days. Self-supported.***
But to get to my point, all this volatility and ups and downs have made him wonder what is going on. Keep in mind he has been a silver believer for YEARS now.
His question (How do we end the manipulation?) reminds me that this is a LONG term position which MAY take another 5 years to show those of us who bought at $21 much appreciative positive movement in price. I do NOT think it will be much longer from now and prices will double. Two years max, perhaps by the end of the year.
And I just hope and pray that ALL of you on this forum keep to it like my DAD has all these years and you don't get frustrated with all the VOLATILITY that we will see in the near future, starting about 6 months or so in the PAST.
Buy silver and keep at it. Watch what is going on and be prepared to take advantage of the volatility we will see. Ups mean we will probably see a buying opportunity. Downs mean, "BUY!".
So by all means, buy silver.
I hear it's gonna be big!
JesterJay
***Have I ever mentioned that my DAD is a great man and the Coolest guy I know?

Well said...on many different levels. And here's to dads...everywhere.

pkrebaum
5th July 2008, 21:29
Thanks Dad.....
For teaching me the value of saving for a rainy day. You were always in debt. A credit-abuser par excellance. Even using one credit card to pay off other credit cards. Living the good life and keeping up with the Joneses. Moving us every five years for the equity in the "fixer-up specials" that we re-habbed together but never got to live in for very long. And you accomplished your life-long goal of dying in debt to the IRS. Too bad Mom had to sell off one-third of the family property to settle it all.

At least you taught me self-sufficiency. I can fix anything. I had your scientific bent, and got great jobs as an Engineer, but I stuck with them instead of always trying to climb the corporate ladder. And I saved. I owe no one and the only major expenditures on the horizon will be helping my kids get thru college. And no one in my family will ever have to subsist on okra and "corn-king" brand hot-dogs again, unless for some perverted reason they might choose to.

For better or worse, I owe a lot of who I am today to You.

Trvlr45
5th July 2008, 23:30
Papa has been diagnosed with cancer and is fighting the good fight. Doing well now, actually. And he is wondering whether he will be around for the Big Action.

Hi Jester,

This is off topic but I hate to hear about anyone with cancer. My aunt died of panchreatic cancer a year ago. I thought I would let you know about my best friends father-in-law.

He has had non-Lymphoma Hotchkins cancer (did I get that right?) for well over 10 years. Supposedly, no one survives with that for more than 5. He has kept it at bay with, believe it or not, tomatoes and almonds. He did plenty of research on natural remedies once he was diagnosed. He is getting to the end now but still around.

There are numerous natural foods that can help with cancer. Turmeric (a wonder herb I take every day), Spirulina, Brocolli, Tomatoes, Almonds, Chlorella, Kyolic Garlic, Graviola Herb (already researched and proven to kill tumors in 24 hrs. The drug companies are now trying to synthesize the compunds in it so they can patent it and make the big bucks.) Vitamin's A, C, E. D. Cabbage reduces the chance of getting colon cancer because of phytochemical's. Sweet potatoes are LOADED with vitamin A (great for heavy smokers like me), any dark green vegetables like spinach is good for preventing it so I can't see how it wouldn't help if you already have it. Cancer thrives in an acid environment. Dark green veggies are alkaline and loaded with vitamins and minerals. Sugar also can make it spread. Upping the amount of oxygen in the cells can prevent it. Cancer thrives when the proper levels of oxygen aren't present in the cells. They now make liquid oxygen.

Cetain fruits and vegetables have phytochemicals in them that are the plants natural defense. Tomatoes for example, have over 10,000 phytochemicals in them. Scientists don't even know what most of them do exactly.

Last but not least. You'll love this one. Young Coconut water. Believe it or not young coconut water has the exact same make up as blood plasma. They actually used it for blood transfusions in WW 2 when they had no other options. It cleans out the blood supply which prevents the cancer from spreading. Many health food stores don't even know about young coconut water but in Salt Lake City a Wild Oats store actually carried Young Coconuts. I bought a bunch of them one time and emptied all the water out of them. It tastes pretty good and it actually gave me an energy boost until I ran out.

You may be surprised what natural therapies can do. The owner of Shirlyn's health food in Salt Lake City cured her breast cancer with ESSIAC Tea. the four, not the eight herb formula. They make it right there in the area. There are arguments over which is the original, the 4 or 8 herb. I buy a bottle every now and and drink it for a month.

Many laugh at natural remedies but when you have cancer it's time to try it ALL in my opinion. My aunt was too far along with stage 4 by the time they found out but there are stories of Eassiac saving people that late in the game.

Just my two cent's. I hope Papa is around when the silver goes to the moon.

Trvlr45
5th July 2008, 23:40
Here IS to Dad's. I have the best one in the world. He's 77 and still running around at 7000 ft with his 30-06 trying to bag that big buck. When he's not hunting turkey's at 4 AM. Or when he's not shooting 2" groups at 300 yards.............

hiyosilver
6th July 2008, 01:52
For better or worse, I owe a lot of who I am today to You.

Romans 8:28 (King James Version)
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

And btw, IMO, the walking liberty half is still the most beautiful coin ever made.

TTAZZMAN
6th July 2008, 17:48
Personally i love the look of a Mercury Dime

As for investment purposes i prefer Franklin Halves......because......

they as a group tend to be low wear(dont seem to be heavly circulated)....instantly recognizeable as 90%(dont have to read date) .....larger denomination(easyer to count)............may have added value in future due to large amounts being melted down in last silver rush it is currently unknown how many were destroyed.

I buy all 90% but i will tend to pay more for items based on the hierarchy i used to determine my preference for franklins above

amadeus
7th July 2008, 02:18
Anything without a dead man's head on it :)

kingdombuilder
7th July 2008, 09:50
I love those Franklin half's and Roosevelt Dimes!

nuslvrkwen
8th July 2008, 17:47
I like the walking liberty ones. I remember the mercury dimes, but I have not seen any in a bag or roll for sale.

It's great you JesterJay and Trvlr45 still have your dads around! And that both are still around, getting into trouble even though neither of you will admit it!! I'm surprised by your knowledge of herbal remedies Trvlr45!! The best medicine is herbal.

My parents were like pkrebaum's in that there were no savings for a rainy day. Why? Because my mom's parents owned real estate. (that's gotta be the worst investment in the world - it's cash intensive because the owner has to keep up everything to be able to rent the property or sell it.) My mom was a jazz musician. My dad was in the Navy. She had a 'posh gig' in Tokyo during the occupation; she played in a nightclub. I lived there with the housekeeper. We had a Koi pool..... Back here in the US we lived from one set on 'navy housing' to another. She became a widow, when I was four - so we remained a family unit until she died.

I think after I grew up and left here to live in the UK - THAT was where I learned about saving for tough times. That was also the country that taught me NEVER to trust what ever business outlook BS the US would put in the press. This country really does try NOT to tell its' people what's really going on with its' money and debt. This Administration's attitude about debt has really freaked me out. We have to self teach ourselves to be vigilent.

So; I'm asking Argentos from the UK - What about those 10Ps? ;) Are they 90%? What years were 90%? They're about the size of a one ounce coin. Give a kid 10 10Ps (comes to $1 pound sterling); they weigh so much the kid will be listing to one side trying to carry them! :p

Trvlr45
10th July 2008, 17:37
I'm surprised by your knowledge of herbal remedies Trvlr45!! The best medicine is herbal.

It's what keeps me alive. With the way I've abused myself over the years and still do I have to do something to offset the damage. I never get sick and I stay as far away from doctors and hospitals as I can. They are only a last resort for me. Big pharma won't get anything down my gullet unless I'm gonna die.

nuslvrkwen
10th July 2008, 17:50
It's what keeps me alive. With the way I've abused myself over the years and still do I have to do something to offset the damage. I never get sick and I stay as far away from doctors and hospitals as I can. They are only a last resort for me. Big pharma won't get anything down my gullet unless I'm gonna die. - Trvlr45

:p LOL!!

YakHairSandwich
11th July 2008, 03:13
I actually own a couple 90% silver 5 German Reich Mark coins.

The ones with the swastikas on them, only because they are rare, and worth alot more than their melt value as a collectible.

dippydough
11th July 2008, 12:30
this may not be the best thread for my question, but i saw in a different thread that some older US coins can be sold for more $ than the value of their silver content to collectors because of rare dates. i recently bought a 1k face bag and not sure if i am getting dimes, quarters, halves, or a mix, i was wondering what specific dates in each denomination i can look for that would be worth more than the average 90% silver coin. if someone could direct me to a website or just make a list with the information that would be great. i did a quick search online and didnt find what i was looking for. hope my question is clear and makes sense. thanks for any reply.

edit- im an idiot. i found a website with the information. wow, such a lousy 1st post.

JesterJay
12th July 2008, 01:42
Those who use the ancient forms of research may want to look at CoinValues magazine.
Probably the no. 1 mag the dealers use.
Each coin is listed with values for grades Good through MS65 or higher.
That's where I go when I need to find a value for a specific coin.
JesterJay

this may not be the best thread for my question, but i saw in a different thread that some older US coins can be sold for more $ than the value of their silver content to collectors because of rare dates. i recently bought a 1k face bag and not sure if i am getting dimes, quarters, halves, or a mix, i was wondering what specific dates in each denomination i can look for that would be worth more than the average 90% silver coin. if someone could direct me to a website or just make a list with the information that would be great. i did a quick search online and didnt find what i was looking for. hope my question is clear and makes sense. thanks for any reply.

edit- im an idiot. i found a website with the information. wow, such a lousy 1st post.

balou2
12th July 2008, 02:13
You can also access the PCGS pricing website that will give you a guide. If you know a little about grading, and what it means to be grade "Good" "Very Good" etc... it'll give you a clue.

check it out here (http://www.pcgs.com/prices/)

Numismatics is a COMPLETELY different ballgame than coining for silver. Most of the companies that ship 40 and 90% actually pick through for high value and rare coins. I've not yet heard of any of my friends (who buy a lot of bagged silver) getting a real score. Not that it can't happen. I suppose it'd be possible to get a Merc 1942/1 dime in a bag (which would damn near pay for the whole bag), but don't bet on it. Besides...most of what comes in the bags are well worn and don't carry the higher potential numismatic values the high-grade similar coins would carry.

Nonetheless...that's the fun of bagged silver...it's a little treasure chest (bag)! Enjoy it, just like a present on Christmas, when you were 5!!! Relish in what we do.

silverheartbone
1st December 2010, 03:47
Personally i love the look of a Mercury Dime

As for investment purposes i prefer Franklin Halves......because......

they as a group tend to be low wear(dont seem to be heavly circulated)....instantly recognizeable as 90%(dont have to read date) .....larger denomination(easyer to count)............may have added value in future due to large amounts being melted down in last silver rush it is currently unknown how many were destroyed.

I buy all 90% but i will tend to pay more for items based on the hierarchy i used to determine my preference for franklins above

I'm with TTAZZMAN. Hard to beat the best looking in the most usable form.
denarius, dime, dinar, dinero, dirham
http://www.coin-collecting-guide-for-beginners.com/image-files/mercury_dime_lg.jpg
90% silver 10% copper
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Franklin_HalfReverse.png/220px-Franklin_HalfReverse.png