PDA

View Full Version : Who is buying Silver right now?

balou2
4th July 2008, 02:04
I know there was a recent thread on the topic, but I'm curious what others are doing. I've held off on purchases since it hit +$17.60, and I've heard other speculate that due to the silver:gold ratio, silver is not the best choice. Just curious.

clr8ter
4th July 2008, 08:27
I am not sure we shouldn't buy silver. That being said, I am waiting to see if it goes down again to buy some more. Large purchase, so a little movement will effect the price a fair ammount.

Scrap Metal
4th July 2008, 10:01
I am still buying, but I am a small-time player. My first goal is to have a five pound bag of mixed .999 and .900 coins. When I get there I'll look at the price per ounce, and if it is decent I will shoot for ten pounds. I will then re-evaluate and go for twenty. That is my end goal.

If I have to buy more .900 than .999 that is what I will do. This is a small insurance policy for me, and I want no more than I can easily carry to the car with one hand and stash under the seat.

I am not really in an area prone to evacuations, but this may be a good plan for such people.

Phaeton
4th July 2008, 10:06
I've been making small purchases of 90% silver as I've been able to get it for spot or below (including shipping). If the price goes back down then I will pick up some more .999 coins and bars and pay a premium. By doing this, I've been able to keep all my purchases within the $17-$18 range. If the price doesn't go back down, well... I won't stop buying that's for sure!

SilverWhore
4th July 2008, 13:54
I bought up all I could afford to over the last two months when prices were low, considering the other things I have to pay for this summer. I am sitting on a nice stash now and my only source of silver at the present time is what I get from coin roll hunting and its not a bad way to get silver coins actually.

Trvlr45
4th July 2008, 21:08
I'm pretty much like scrapmetal. I'm small time and I just started buying last year. I pay no attention to the spot price at all right now. I buy whatever I can afford when I can afford it and I have favorite's like Engelhard rounds, Silver Proof Eagles, and Kennedy 90% halves.

Once I get a decent amount of each of these I will start going for the generic at the cheapest price I can find. I will start paying closer attention to the spot price just as if I were buying large amounts and REALLY paying attention to the spot price.

I figure that if the price is going to skyrocket some time in the future then anything below 30 an ounce is a deal today. I'm personally hoping it will tank to about $10 an ounce although I realize many on this forum would disagree with that desire. I doubt it will though. Not in todays economy.

$20 an ounce is CHEAP in my opinion.

JesterJay
5th July 2008, 14:58
So how does this apply to the topic?
JesterJay

Hello to all you Silver investers, as you may of gest I am new to your forum and would like to show you an opperunity to purchase as little as a one ounce silver coin a month and with this you will get a website wich you can use to profit more silver coins every month.

The cost is as little as $36 a month for the website and a one ounce coin, with the website every two coins sold you will get one FREE as the program is set up to run every month till you cancel, you will get FREE silver each month one FREE coin every two sold.

I dont think it will be fair to just past the link on your forum and try to get as many FREE coins per month as I can from the members here. But think it best if the first member who PM me asking for the link and wants to work the program can pass the link on to another member him/herself so that he/she can start to get free silver coins as well and so on till all the members wich want to join can and we all start to make FREE silver coins.

The coin is the one ounce silver and is sold from the us mint for $26.

Best regards
Dean...

balou2
5th July 2008, 18:15
So how does this apply to the topic?
JesterJay

It doesn't. He's selflessly promoting one of of the infomercial-like PM sales companies. The kind of point I feel has no business in this forum.

pkrebaum
5th July 2008, 21:57
So flag him.

TANSTAAFL !!! TANSTAAFL I say ! Anyone who promises otherwise is surely up to no good.

Phaeton
5th July 2008, 22:37
So flag him.

TANSTAAFL !!! TANSTAAFL I say ! Anyone who promises otherwise is surely up to no good.

Yes there is!! meals on wheels.... no wait.... we all pay for that too.... dammit!

I believe this is another one of those "silver snowball"-type deals.

amadeus
7th July 2008, 02:22
I never stop so long as people keep responding to my craigslist ad ;)

Nehpets
12th July 2008, 01:41
I buy 40 dollars worth of silver for every day i work, generally 200 a week, ever since the Hunt crash (early 81) I used to not get much silver for my money, then for a long time I got a lot of silver for my money now I am not getting as much again.
If you are not supposed to mention addiction in rough company then I guess I shouldn't say obsessive compulsive among silver collectors. I am what I am and it has served me well in silver accumulation and as a world class computer programming and/or Electrical Engineer
I put my silver on my computer desk and play games until my wife gets home and makes us supper then when she calls for supper I open my safe and throw the silver in metal ammo cans inside " Bigg Bertha " the safe that i purchased when they tore a bank down near my house in 1984. I do not sort it. I do not count it. I do not know how much I have. I know I have a lot cause I had to go under the house and recently put a concrete/rebar piling under it to relieve the sag in my floor. I still buy silver but now I am lucky to get 2 ounces and a silver coin.

averagejoe
13th July 2008, 23:19
I finally got my Maples Friday from NWTM they were order the last week of april. Great people to deal with but the delivery times are longer than they should be. Coins look great though!

hiyosilver
13th July 2008, 23:23
I'm paying nearly $2.50 below spot for 90% now.

SilverHawk
13th July 2008, 23:34
I buy 40 dollars worth of silver for every day i work, generally 200 a week, ever since the Hunt crash (early 81) I used to not get much silver for my money, then for a long time I got a lot of silver for my money now I am not getting as much again.
If you are not supposed to mention addiction in rough company then I guess I shouldn't say obsessive compulsive among silver collectors. I am what I am and it has served me well in silver accumulation and as a world class computer programming and/or Electrical Engineer
I put my silver on my computer desk and play games until my wife gets home and makes us supper then when she calls for supper I open my safe and throw the silver in metal ammo cans inside " Bigg Bertha " the safe that i purchased when they tore a bank down near my house in 1984. I do not sort it. I do not count it. I do not know how much I have. I know I have a lot cause I had to go under the house and recently put a concrete/rebar piling under it to relieve the sag in my floor. I still buy silver but now I am lucky to get 2 ounces and a silver coin.

I like you. Cool Dude!

I on the other hand am anal compulsive. I clean my rounds, have every ounce inventoried, sorted, counted, catagorized and all tubed in green monster containers. And have all on an Excel Spreadsheet, that has quantity, price purchased, profit, current value and percent gain. Quite an awesome program. I just enter current spot prices of gold and silver and my current values are updated along with the gold/silver ratio.:-D

SilverHawk
13th July 2008, 23:40
Ahhh yeah, the question....

I'll be converting my worthless dollars into silver as fast as I get them, regardless of the price. Until they come out with the Amero...

SilverHawk
13th July 2008, 23:45

Just be careful when you turn your head. Don't want to hit your nose on the wall

Please!!!! Where are you getting this unbelievable deal????

balou2
13th July 2008, 23:47
Just be careful when you turn your head. Don't want to hit your nose on the wall

Please!!!! Where are you getting this unbelievable deal????

Seriously...if there was ever a time to share trade secrets, help a brother out.

hiyosilver
14th July 2008, 21:12
Where are you getting this unbelievable deal????

Simple advertising.....there's alot of people who don't know what they have......... "Wull lookee here, here's some fool what's payin' $2.70 for a dang quarter!".............. hint: use a prepay cell and when you activate, leave ID info blank or perhaps an unidentifying email.

FedFixNix
14th July 2008, 21:51

What does that mean? It could mean any number of things. Melt value? Weight? Multiples of face value?

90% is generally sold for a multiple of face value, and that multiple depends on the spot price of fine silver.

In other words, your statement needs a lot of clarification before it means anything.

hiyosilver
14th July 2008, 21:58
I only count the actual silver content, or 90% of the actual total weight. or in other words, about 11X. I pay reduced rate for overly worn coins too and include that statement in my ads.

amadeus
14th July 2008, 22:27
I will always buy silver so long as people respond to my ads...

I never pay above spot for 90% coin. I post an ad I have saved as a text file on my local craigslist at least twice a week with a list of buy prices for common 90% coins, 80% Canadian coins, as well as bullion. All well below spot value. And I get responses quite regularly, I think I need to get another job or something to keep enough cash flow to buy everything that is offered to me!

And sometimes I get lucky...Sunday morning I woke up and was perusing my local craigslist over a bowl of cereal and came upon an ad for 86 silver dimes and 42 silver quarters for a piddly $180. Luckily I was first to respond, and damn did I scarf down the rest of my cereal fast so I could get out the door and go pick it up.

hiyosilver
14th July 2008, 22:33
and many times you end up with some coins that have numismatic value well over spot....

amadeus
14th July 2008, 23:20
and many times you end up with some coins that have numismatic value well over spot....

Yup, that only sweetens the deal.

goldminer
15th July 2008, 06:01
"...Hello to all you Silver investers, as you may of gest I am new to your forum and would like to show you an opperunity to purchase as little as a one ounce silver coin a month and with this you will get a website wich you can use to profit more silver coins every month...."

SPAM IMO & needs to be deleted.

Also, I didn't read all the responses to this initial post but from what I understand a person needs to avoid this offer like the plague period. It is a pyramid scheme.

hekura
15th July 2008, 07:50
It looks as if the "Thump" is delayed a little bit this week...contrived, I'm sure. I'm holding off for now, as I'm 'all-in', anyway.

In line behind Jay, hoping the popcorn will last.

Good luck to all.

J

Argentum
15th July 2008, 08:04
I said last week that the Monday thump was becoming a bit to easy to see coming. So I bought about 500 oz over the weekend figuring the drop was not going to happen this week. So far, so good.

DaveK
15th July 2008, 14:42
And have all on an Excel Spreadsheet, that has quantity, price purchased, profit, current value and percent gain. Quite an awesome program. I just enter current spot prices of gold and silver and my current values are updated along with the gold/silver ratio.:-D

You have to enter the spot value manually? I set it up to go out and get the current spot value on it's own. :D

ballininthamix
15th July 2008, 14:49
You have to enter the spot value manually? I set it up to go out and get the current spot value on it's own. :D

Would you be willing to post a link to the template or possibly email it to me?

Argentum
15th July 2008, 15:08
Hawk, what do you use for the price over spot for say ASEs?

If spot is 19 and ASE's are selling for 21, do you use a two dollar spread to account for the premium the ASEs get?

Gold Eagles get a big premium over Krugers. Just wondering how others figure this.

tgsilver
15th July 2008, 16:51
I started Buying the Last Weekend in March, this year.. and have been buying ever since. I am Currently interested in 90% silver .50cent pieces.. I have about 100 of them, buying many from E-bay, or my Local Coin Stores.. Kennedys & Franklins.. I have an amount I want to get to.. Then I will go back to 1oz. All this being said...
the price of silver is going to go WAY up.. Jump in with both feet and buy all you can afford. Clean out your savings account

Remember one thing.. you don't "buy" silver/gold - you hold it.. it will grow in value.. go for it!

DaveK
15th July 2008, 18:47
Would you be willing to post a link to the template or possibly email it to me?

I have a simple example set up. It uses the Web Query tool to pull in the text-only quote data from:

https://online.kitco.com/scripts/cgi-bin/texten.pl

Then it does some very rudimentary processing to pull out the silver bid price and put it in cell A1 on the sheet. It does some very basic error checking to make sure it is getting the sliver price so if Kitco changes the format of the page it will put -1 in for the value. If this happens you just have to look at the data from the query and update cell A3 to refer to the right cell again.

From another sheet you can refer to cell A1 on the import sheet (=SheetX!A1) to get the current silver bid price. The query should update when the workbook is opened and then every 10 mins (or whatever you want).

It could be lots fancier, smarter about processing the text, etc, but I've never bothered making it fancy, ain't broke. If I wanted to make it fancy I'd replace A1's calculation with a VBA function that scans the cells for the 'Silver' keyword, then pulls the bid or ask price from that line.

hiyosilver
15th July 2008, 23:38
And have all on an Excel Spreadsheet, that has quantity, price purchased, profit, current value and percent gain. Quite an awesome program. I just enter current spot prices of gold and silver and my current values are updated along with the gold/silver ratio.:-D

Can you attach your basic spreadsheet layout for us to make use of also? Like DaveK did his additional page for extracting the current bid from the web.

clr8ter
20th July 2008, 10:46
I went to the monthly coin show today to buy some 999 or 90%, but there was hardly any. There couldn't have been 30 oz. of 999, and barely any 90%, (junk anyway). Most everything was collector stuff. I was dissapointed, and came home with nothing...

Principal
21st July 2008, 16:00
Perhaps like or unlike others ... I am the type that I purchases a certain amount of silver every month regardless of price. Some call it cost averaging, I call it investing / protecting / insurance for an unpredictable future and especially ... piece of mind.