PDA

View Full Version : silver bullion coins

redneck
26th June 2008, 13:52
Does anyone know why Silver Maple leafs sell for less than Silver Eagles, even though they are more pure? Seems to me that would demand a higher premium.

SilverTrees
26th June 2008, 14:11
i think people like the US coins better because of the design and the $1 face value versus $5 face with the Canadian's.

Phaeton
26th June 2008, 14:19
I was asking myself the same question. They are usually $.10-25 less than Eagles but I think SilverTrees is right - the Eagles are more well known and desired. What about the Philharmonic's? They are about $.25-40 more than Eagles. I don't have any of these and would like to know what makes them more expensive?

balou2
26th June 2008, 14:40
From my understanding it is based on:

Numismatic Value
Number of units produced
Worldwide demand
Import costs

The Philharmonics and Pandas are more, generally because they cost more to get here (that's what I was told). The ASE holds higher US numismatic value than the others. If the could do an ASE of .9999, you'd see the prices rise at least 10% on those puppies (and it wouldn't be worth it IMHO).

Argentum
26th June 2008, 14:59
I hold many of each. A while back the CML's where selling at a premium above ASE's. Now, as many of you can see, they are cheaper. The Phils ((ASP's) do tend to be a bit over the ASE's. Infact, I've not seen them below ASE's. For pure bullion investment, I go with the coin with the least premium over spot ((assuming your buying government coins that is)).

As far as the purity factor, I'm not all that concerned with last .001 On a side note, the CML's are going to be even more pure in the near future.

redneck
26th June 2008, 15:18
Thanks to all for your info... I bought a qty. of CML's yesterday and couldn't reason why they were the cheaper buy. But I'm just going for the silver value IF and when I ever decide to sell ( or trade for food when this gov't. goes down the toilet....HEY....Is that Bush's hand on the handle right now?):rolleyes:

Da Flyin Lion
26th June 2008, 16:20
CML's on Ebay are somewhat rare and usually get bid up a few $ higher then SAE's and generic rounds. That alone might be a good reason to have some.

argentos
26th June 2008, 18:34
If you look at these prices for silver 1 ozt coins, VAT-paid, in Frankfurt, Germany. (http://coininvestdirect.com/main.php?a=10&id=160)

Koala £12.26
Phil £10.75
Maple £10.75
Panda £13.30
Libertad£12.55
Eagle £12.17

you may agree with my guess that it's a desire for the prettier picture as much as the familiarity of the coin.

clr8ter
26th June 2008, 19:27
As far as the purity factor, I'm not all that concerned with last .001 On a side note, the CML's are going to be even more pure in the near future.

Finally, a seat of the pants realistic opinion as to why someone likes something. Everything here tends to be sooo "technical". (......and it's alloyed with a millionth of a gram per ounce of gigabonium by law RS 69.who gives a F**K, making it much harder, whack it with a rubber mallet, and you can tell, and, hold it up to the light, and if the light shining off it makes a rainbow with NO pot of gold on the wall, it's FAKE siilver.........)

Yes, I too like ASE because they look nice, and are pure silver!

SilverHawk
28th June 2008, 23:20
If my only choice at the coin shop was ASE and Canadian, I'd get the cheaper Canadian silver.

My goal is to buy as much cheap silver rounds, one ounce, cause when we need to spend them some day, the premium will very well be ignored by the buyer. To 99% of the public, a UNC eagle is worth the same as a common round. And they will be the ones' selling the bread and milk I'm gonna need.

Maximize your purchase and get the cheaper rounds first.

hiyosilver
29th June 2008, 00:29
To quote Silverhawk, "To 99% of the public, a UNC eagle is worth the same as a common round."

I disagree with that statement for this reason,

Rounds that are not familiar and easily recognizable and backed by national governments will not be readily accepted because they're more likely to be counterfeited. 90% silver coins are a good choice for barter for that same reason.

SilverHawk
29th June 2008, 14:06
To quote Silverhawk, "To 99% of the public, a UNC eagle is worth the same as a common round."

I disagree with that statement for this reason,

Rounds that are not familiar and easily recognizable and backed by national governments will not be readily accepted because they're more likely to be counterfeited. 90% silver coins are a good choice for barter for that same reason.

True. But when you get change from the store, or money from the bank, do you stand there checking to see if any of it is counterfeit? The $10's or $5,'s you get back?

What I'm saying is that, when the times get really tough, a one ounce silver coin will not be scrutinized by 98% of the sellers. Color of the metal, sound it makes on a table, is all it will take for the seller to accept it. When rounds start being used for currency, the familiarity with them will grow. And if you're the only one with silver coins and the ones behind you only have wheelbarrels of paper money, ah, you get the sale.

SilverHawk
29th June 2008, 14:12
As for 90% silver. That's gonna make things harder for people who don't know the silver content of each coin. The what about wear? Will a shiney new 1964 dime get the same value as a worn and smooth 1945? Not in my book. Value of silver change starts getting real tricky.

A shiney new round WILL have exactly one ounce, no calculator or scale needed. Transaction completed fast and simple.

SilverHawk
29th June 2008, 14:19
:D

Sorry for so many replies....

When the time comes, and I want one ounce of silver for an item I have for sale, I'm not going to add the value of a Premium to that ounce. The coin shop will, but if you want my bag of flour or sack of sugar, one ounce is one ounce. Be it a silver 1995 WP Proof eagle or a generic obsure round.

Remember, the times are coming where you'll have to change your attitude of an ounce of silver. Your stomach will tell you to forget the premium, and get that food I need!

hiyosilver
29th June 2008, 23:18
Transaction completed fast and simple.

Sorry Silverhawk, but when that time comes, nothing will be fast and simple. There will competition for what little there is available, and yes, "money" will be carefully scrutinized for legitimacy and value. Every coin will be weighed for content and valued accordingly...You've got the general idea, but I think you might underestimate a little how really difficult these times will be.