PDA

View Full Version : Where WILL you sell silver?

balou2
23rd June 2008, 23:35
So, I started an earlier thread asking where people buy their silver. It turned out to be a good thread, as I gained some new links in my "Silver" folder.

That said, if/when prices reach a level that let you say "it's time to sell some silver", where will you sell it?

I've never sold silver, other than on ebay, but if the SHTF and we see $100/oz, I'm definitely cashing in a few hundred ounces. I would have no idea where to sell that much silver though. I suppose I should look for local jewlers, or silver dealers. I would want to avoid anything like ebay, as the fees would be astronomical on that sized sale.

Interested in your thoughts.

YakHairSandwich
24th June 2008, 02:55
I don't plan on ever selling my silver.

I plan on accumulating thousands of ounces of it, and making a treasure room in my highly guarded mansion,

So I can burrow through it, and play in it, and just feel rich!!!

Argentum
24th June 2008, 03:33
There are more than a few internet sites that will purchase your PM's. I've just found BD to be very easy way to sell... the rare times I do sell.

Irons
24th June 2008, 06:18
Maybe Apmex or these guys, whoever has the best rate.I can drive to the refinery and sell it in person so thats a bonus.
www.midwestrefineries.com

Scrap Metal
24th June 2008, 06:31
You should develop a relationship with some local coin shops. One of the advantages of this is that the purchases are not followed by a paper trail, if that kind of privacy concerns you.

Also, if you have to sell quickly, let's assume that an emergency comes up, you get a check right there and then. No shipping and waiting, and no postage.

Go visit some local coin shops and ask what they charge for different purchases. I make small purchases, and I chose two different dealers out of many in my area. I think that local relationships are best if you can do as well dollar wise. You are in the Bay Area? You should have a lot of dealers and coin shows to go to.

I do not deal with jewelers, as they seem to pay less for scrap jewelry, in my area, and are not at all interested in bullion.

7nomads
24th June 2008, 07:05
Normally I make the hour drive to the big buyer in the area who ships directly to a refiner. I have an account and I declare profits and take the hit on taxes.

I've never shipped silver to someone except on EBay. The cost and lack of insurance with most carriers worries me.

I have sold to a local coin shop who was wanting to add to his inventory, but that was on some extra eagles I had and not on 90%. They usually pay more as the price is rising and stop buying as it peaks.

The coins shows in the area have been good for buying and selling as there's 1000s of ounces bought and sold with a narrow spread of 70 cents an ounce between buy and sell.

pkrebaum
24th June 2008, 07:20
One fear I had about selling my 100 Oz. bars is that I would have to bring them back to NWT or some other major source to sell them. I buy my Silver online, but my Gold from my local coin shop.
Anyhow, I'm in there buying some 1/2 Oz. Au MLs and I notice a 100 Oz. Ag bar in his display case. I asked him if he would ever be interested in buying something that large and his face lit up with joy. Anytime I'd like to sell he'll take them near spot, esp. my PanAm bars which he can flip in under an hour.

hiyosilver
24th June 2008, 22:40

I plan on accumulating thousands of ounces of it, and making a treasure room in my highly guarded mansion,

I think you better try a new diet....I think those sandwiches have gone to your head...:D

balou2
24th June 2008, 23:19

http://www.mackaycartoons.net/2006/2006-08-28.jpg

YakHairSandwich
25th June 2008, 01:26
Yes, like Scrooge McDuck, only with Silver instead of Gold!

amadeus
25th June 2008, 23:35
I won't sell it. I'll spend it to buy daily needs when SHTF.

And if SD'tHTF, well any kids I may have in the future can have it when I die.

SilverHawk
28th June 2008, 23:27
When it comes time to sell, you will know by the popularity of acceptance. Meaning, when everyone will take payment in gold or silver. The value of G&S will be going up, daily, as the dollar will be going down, rapidly.

pkrebaum
29th June 2008, 00:32
And by your sudden popularity with members of the opposite sex....

hiyosilver
29th June 2008, 01:14
And by your sudden popularity with members of the opposite sex....

omg....I didn't think of that! What will I do? I'm fighting them off already! :rolleyes: :D

SilverTrees
29th June 2008, 01:53
I will only get rid of my silver if I absolutely have to.I would start selling/trading my other unnecessary possessions before I'd even think of selling ANY of my pm's.I'd also prefer to barter for other goods/etc. instead of trading for any type of fiat currency, unless the fiat was absolutely needed, i.e. bills/food/expenses.