PDA

View Full Version : Dimes, Quarters or Halves?

truerelaxation
20th June 2008, 09:37
What's your preference? What's your mixture?

Mercury or Eisenhower dimes? Liberty or Washington quarters? Liberty, Franklin or Kennedy halves?

Right now I like halves due to less wear but am I missing something? Should I have some dimes?

SilverTrees
20th June 2008, 09:58
It's good to have all sizes...the ones that are least worn are best. I would stick to dates closer to 1964...dimes are good because they are the smallest sized, national gov't issued increment of silver. They could definitely be the most valuable in times of crisis when you need to barter with silver.

the_moonbeam
20th June 2008, 11:06
Please don't confuse Dwight Eisenhower with Franklin Roosevelt. It's almost a crime.

Scrap Metal
20th June 2008, 11:57
It is good to have all of the 90% represented, as well as having some .999 fine. I will also buy Morgan and Peace dollars from a dealer that sells "clunkers" to me for spot plus a small commission. Buy whatever you get the best price on for that day/dealer.

I have dimes, quarters, halves, dollars, and bullion, including American Eagles. All of these will have their place in a barter situation. You will not want to make large purchases with dimes, nor will you want to buy a loaf of bread with a 10 ounce bar.

goldminer
20th June 2008, 12:57
A person can always put five dimes together to make a half-dollar, but it's kinda tough to make 10 cents out of a half.

SilverTrees
20th June 2008, 14:59
A person can always put five dimes together to make a half-dollar, but it's kinda tough to make 10 cents out of a half.

Well put! My thoughts exactly!

Scrap Metal
20th June 2008, 15:35
If I need to use silver for barter I will realistically be making large and small "purchases." I think that if I am dealing with a person that is not silver savvy, a Morgan will have a "WOW!" factor that dimes will not.

I do not know what value silver would have in a barter situation. The Silver Eagle that is worth $20 now may be worth $50 or more. Who knows? But I carry other denominations besides $1 bills, now. Why limit myself to dimes? Ounces and even 5 and 10 ounce bars will be useful.

I am on a few different sites, so I do not know if this was posted here, but one fellow recently bought a handgun at a dealer with ounces of .999 silver. He did not need dimes to make a $400 purchase.

SilverTrees
20th June 2008, 17:21
If I need to use silver for barter I will realistically be making large and small "purchases." I think that if I am dealing with a person that is not silver savvy, a Morgan will have a "WOW!" factor that dimes will not.

I do not know what value silver would have in a barter situation. The Silver Eagle that is worth $20 now may be worth $50 or more. Who knows? But I carry other denominations besides $1 bills, now. Why limit myself to dimes? Ounces and even 5 and 10 ounce bars will be useful.

I am on a few different sites, so I do not know if this was posted here, but one fellow recently bought a handgun at a dealer with ounces of .999 silver. He did not need dimes to make a $400 purchase.

Whoa! Never said dimes were the only way to go...just nice to have small increments. Any form of silver will be useful. I think it is good to have as many forms, denominations as possible, that way you have "change". I prefer one ounce coins and ten ounce bars myself. It would be sad to have to give up an ounce or even worse a ten ounce bar for some bread because you didn't have anything smaller. I'm sure the handgun dealer would have been more than happy to take 90% dimes if he were offered them.

TTAZZMAN
20th June 2008, 17:32
#1 i like coins that are instantly recognizeable as 90% silver without have to read the dates...IE..mercury,walkers, franklins Etc. (can you imagine how fun it would be to check a whole bag of rosevelt dimes )

#2 I like specificly Franklins for bullion because they are recognizeable and they tend to be the least worn

#3 quarters work better though a counter vs halves and dimes

#4 Dimes are the ultimate in divisibility

#5 Halves are easyer to Hand count

So for me my first preference is Franklin/Walker Halves then Mercury dimes

My Pants Are Cold
20th June 2008, 22:06
He did not need dimes to make a $400 purchase

No, but he would if he only wanted to buy a bullet or two.

hiyosilver
21st June 2008, 00:41
Goldminer made a good point in another thread:

http://forums.silverseek.com/showthread.php?p=6050#post6050

that proves to be true.