PDA

View Full Version : Love these 10 oz bars

Ringramjr1
6th March 2010, 14:12
Just got several 10 oz silver bars on Friday. I've owned nothing but 1 oz coins up until now. The 10 oz bars have a certain allure and a solid heft in your hand. I love the sound of clanging two of them together. My daughter, who is only 4 years old, is obsessed with them. She won't put them down. Just goes to show you - she knows nothing about silver, the economy or money, yet she's wildly attracted to these bars. Quite fascinating...

DaleFromCalgary
6th March 2010, 14:31
The vast majority of my silver is 10-ounce bars because they have a lower premium than 1-ounce coins, yet aren't large enough to trigger reporting requirements ($2,000 in Calgary). They can be easily stored in old floppy-disk or cassette storage boxs because a bar laid sideways is usually the same length.

Unfortunately the bars are occasionally in short supply in Calgary. During the last price dip, I had to buy a tube of Maple Leafs instead.

AgShaman
6th March 2010, 14:33
Nice maneuver Ringramjr1! Sounds like there might be one child that won't be getting indoctrinated on the falsehood of fiat money. Kudos 2 you and the family! Out of curiosity...what brand bars did you score?

Curiosity will not kill the C/Kats of SS Nation!

Ringramjr1
6th March 2010, 15:54
They're Sunshine bars. LOVE these things! I don't know why I wasn't buying these all along. I was getting sick of paying $2-$3 above spot when these things can be had for less than $1 over spot. Plus, they're just beautiful. Way more attractive than some coin, in my opinion. It's like a little brick of wealth.

Cash2Riches
6th March 2010, 15:59
Thats the feeling of real money, you give one of these bad boys to someone that has never held real money before and they just naturally know it feels right. Its in our blood.

Gold is Money, Silver is Money.

argent_pur
6th March 2010, 16:00
They're Sunshine bars. LOVE these things! I don't know why I wasn't buying these all along. I was getting sick of paying $2-$3 above spot when these things can be had for less than $1 over spot. Plus, they're just beautiful. Way more attractive than some coin, in my opinion. It's like a little brick of wealth.

I got a Pan American 10 oz and (2) 10 oz. silvertowne bars last night on the 'bay using bing and paid about 65 cents over spot for them. Good for you, ringramjr!! Getting more silver for your money, you know I love it:)

edit: I paid 56 cents over spot.

DaleFromCalgary
6th March 2010, 17:00
"Plus, they're just beautiful."

I've gotten a wide variety over the years. Most have utilarian designs like Johnson-Matthey, Engelhard, or Northwest Territorial. I like the Silvertowne prospector, and the Wall Street Mint is poignant with its New York skyline showing the Twin Towers.

In Calgary, 10-ounce silver bars are about $3 less in total premiums compared to coins. That adds up over a while.

argent_pur
6th March 2010, 17:05
About half of mine are Heraeus. I tried calling their New York office today, but the were closed. I was trying to find out where their silver comes from. Anyone know?

b_kauz
8th March 2010, 15:23
Man how are you guys finding these bars that low over spot? I have been searching the last two days and with the Bing cashback and the ebay cash rewards the best I am coming up with is anywhere from $2-$3 over spot depending on the different branded bar. I was able to find one 10 oz sunshine bar last week for about $0.40 over spot but that was the only one I can seem to find.

Granted the $2-$3 over spot is WAY better than the $6 per ounce over spot the local coin dealer is trying to sell his for, but I would still like some cheap silver :D

jadedragon
8th March 2010, 16:37
I picked up some nice 10 ounce loaf bars from Market Harmony recently. I live the look of a poured bar. Actually I like Maple Leafs too but the 10 oz take up less space then round coins.

nicepuff
9th March 2010, 01:24
i used to buy my silver bars at a local coin shop (about 1 1/2 year ago), their 100oz bar cost like 1.50 overspot, then i found apmex and started to buy from there and never look back. apmex always run special, but i think .69 cent over spot on a 10 oz is still reasonable. just a thought

Silver Oldie
9th March 2010, 11:56
i used to buy my silver bars at a local coin shop (about 1 1/2 year ago), their 100oz bar cost like 1.50 overspot, then i found apmex and started to buy from there and never look back. apmex always run special, but i think .69 cent over spot on a 10 oz is still reasonable. just a thought

This morning I noticed there was transitory price differential with BD Nucleo $7.30 cheaper than A+++X on their cheapest 10oz bars (bid $170 + .01% versus $180.) Spot was 17.13 and I jumped in with a bid for 8 at 171. When I came in from shoveling snow 3/4 hour later I had snagged 6 at 171 and spot was $17.35! It is nice to be in the black so fast on a purchase. Not much s/h since this just adds to a previous order stashed at BD.

skijake
9th March 2010, 15:59
Man how are you guys finding these bars that low over spot? I have been searching the last two days and with the Bing cashback and the ebay cash rewards the best I am coming up with is anywhere from $2-$3 over spot depending on the different branded bar. I was able to find one 10 oz sunshine bar last week for about $0.40 over spot but that was the only one I can seem to find.

Granted the $2-$3 over spot is WAY better than the $6 per ounce over spot the local coin dealer is trying to sell his for, but I would still like some cheap silver :D

APMEX generally has 10 ouncers less than $1 over spot. Shipping is extra of course.
Specials periodacally even cheaper. Good luck!
http://www.apmex.com/

Jake
9th March 2010, 17:01
``````````````

skijake
9th March 2010, 17:30
There is a difference in price at APMEX between new and secondary market bars
NEW:
http://www.apmex.com/Product/43306/10_oz_999_Fine_Silver_Bars___Silvertowne.aspx

Secondary Market:
http://www.apmex.com/Product/21/10_oz_Silver_Bars_999_Fine_.aspx

Yo Jake,and anybody else for that matter, Do you fool with 100 ouncers or 1000 ouncers? :confused:
Looking at APMEX silver selections makes me want to trade some of the bigger stuff in for more of the 10 ouncers.

Jake
9th March 2010, 17:43
`````````````

cdavport
9th March 2010, 20:23
Tulving has NTR 10 Oz - Brand New Bars for 49 cent premium. 50 bar minimum.
Free overnight shipping to boot.

DaleFromCalgary
10th March 2010, 11:55
On Monday I bought some silver at my local dealer. They only had one 10-ounce bar in stock, which I bought at C$20.34 per ounce. The bars are becoming more difficult to get, so I also bought a tube of silver Maple Leafs at C$20.64 per ounce.

Somebody at the next counter was vacuuming up silver rounds and 1-ounce bars. I didn't buy any gold (I'm at my 10% limit) but I noticed the display case was about one-third empty. YYCers are quietly buying; the local mass media have no idea about the story, but the people do.

Jake
10th March 2010, 12:28
`````````````````