PDA

View Full Version : China tungsten

Gene Daniels
3rd March 2010, 06:29
Over at the Gold is money forum there is a thread about a company, China Tungsten, that advertises it makes "fake gold" products. If you are interested in reading the thread it is here:

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?t=452687

When I read the whole thread this is what came to mind. The Chinese have been great at stealing ideas from the West and running with them. My bet is this is the same. They probably found out about some Tungsten cored gold bars done by some gov in the West (maybe the Clinton admin) and figured out what a sweet deal it would be to do the same.

My guess is that by the time this has played out three things will have happened:

1) there will be a cheap, non-destructive testing method for tungsten cores

2) 1 oz coinage will carry a HUGE premium; normal premium + testing cost+ fear factor = new 1 oz premium.

3) physical, assayed Gold will be sitting north of $3,000

In the end, the Chinese might have given the gold bugs a huge gift on this one! Of course I bet the guys at China Tungsten are sitting on some real gold themselves

company's "response" to concerns in the West about it's business model, claiming that it is a repuat
Since I cannot post on that forum, I thought I would raise it
Chinese company making some waves recently in the wake of the recent scandal
http://www.chinatungsten.com/Tungste...plication.html

nmreich
3rd March 2010, 08:15
Thank you for the information.

Just a thought: Isn't it easier to make a tungsten cored BAR than it is to make a tungsten cored 1oz coin? The picture I saw of the bar with tungsten inside also had what appeared to be air in it. The size and shape of a large bar makes it possible, but for a coin... I can't imagine it's doable.

Atomic mass of tungsten: 183.8
Atomic mass of gold: 196.9

So presumably tungsten bars are less dense than gold bars (so they would have to be a little bit bigger). It seems to me that by accurately measuring it's weight and volume it should be possible to calculate the approximate atomic mass of the substance (gold, or gold with tungsten).

and(EU)
3rd March 2010, 08:54
Thank you for the information.

Just a thought: Isn't it easier to make a tungsten cored BAR than it is to make a tungsten cored 1oz coin? The picture I saw of the bar with tungsten inside also had what appeared to be air in it. The size and shape of a large bar makes it possible, but for a coin... I can't imagine it's doable.

Atomic mass of tungsten: 183.8
Atomic mass of gold: 196.9

So presumably tungsten bars are less dense than gold bars (so they would have to be a little bit bigger). It seems to me that by accurately measuring it's weight and volume it should be possible to calculate the approximate atomic mass of the substance (gold, or gold with tungsten).

You're mixing atomic mass with density...
density Au 19,25
density W(wolfram-tungsten) 19,3
it's less then 1/4% difference (that's why it's almost impossible to figure it out)

nmreich
3rd March 2010, 09:18
Ok. Thanks.