PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your silver?

balou2
12th June 2008, 04:48
So, I'm curious...aside from the normal coin dealers, pawn shops, garage sales, etc...., where do you get your bulk silver from?

I've shopped around at as many internet sites as I can find, and for just about any type (round, bar, ASE etc) NWT seems to be the cheapest as long as you buy more than 50 ounces. I've found a few sites that have actual bullion prices much lower than NWT, but by the time you add shipping, they exceed NWT. So...I'm curious...where do you buy your silver? I've most recently purchased a few 100 oz. bars from NWT. Each was $1710 shipped.

Thanks,
mike

Phaeton
12th June 2008, 07:14
I too have recently bought from NWT. They were pleasant to deal with and they definitely seem to have the best pricing around. Their only downside is the length of time that it takes for them to get your bars shipped out to you. I ordered in the second week of May, about 350oz and they won't get to me until the 4th of July! I'm in it for the long haul so it doesn't bother me too much, but it ain't yours until you hold it!

If you purchased the Pan American 100oz bars, you won't be dissappointed. They are beautiful bars and the craftsmen that make them truely know what they're doing!

For online purchases, I mainly go to bulliondirect.com. Their catalog prices are reasonable and the silver always seems to arrive within a month. I also like the fact that I can use a credit card if I really wanted to. This gives a much larger shipping (more like processing) fee so I haven't used it but it's nice to know it's there!

Many people in these forums use Apmex.com, but I haven't bought from them yet.

7nomads
12th June 2008, 08:03
Tulving has been good, but their min. orders have been too high for me lately. Fast delievery times.

Apmex has been good too.

AJPM has been good, good personal service.

Argentum
12th June 2008, 12:27
I get PM's from three different places, my local shop, eBay, and Bullion Direct. I have an IRA account as well as a regular account with BD - one of the only places I know of that you can set up an IRA to buy PM's. ebay does have some nice deals now and then, if you watch your shipping and don't over bid. And I always make it a point now and then to shop at my local coin dealer. He is a cool guy and usually he has a solid price. I will try buy a little from him first, as it has come in handy to sell to him ;o) But for 80% of my major purchases, it's BD

Chris
12th June 2008, 12:58
Colorado Gold - they are pleasant and competitive.

balou2
12th June 2008, 13:05
Thanks for all the feedback. I've just been curious.

~ BD is definitely more expensive than NWT, but only on larger shipments. To buy 10 oz or less it's about the same.

~ I've priced the others as well, and they continually come up more expensive than NWT, largely due to shipping costs. I've never bought anything less than 100oz. at a time, but with NWT, anything over 50oz is free shipping.

btw...I'm not affiliated with them, I'm just looking for different possible alternatives, but have not found anything cheaper, though I have pulled a 1 or 2 insane deals off ebay.

Argentum
12th June 2008, 14:39
I mostly buy on the Nucleo... with a 1% fee for purchase. They will store the metal for free. I usually wait until I have a few 100 oz before I ship. And then it's about $15 or so. I have bought a few items from the store, just items I keep to show folks, or for gifts - Silver Austrian Philharmonics for one.

Keep in mind that the store is NOT the same as the live Nucleo market. Takes a bit to get used to, but it's a real market, it is what it is.

But I often DO buy in smaller lots, say 20-50 silver eagles/bars/90% coin and I like the ability to have several bids out at the same time to better cover my over all price. And one thing is nice is that you can sell your metal.

Hey, I'm no trader by any means. And learning as much as you all are. Some of the other web sites mentioned I didn't even know about - but that's what it's all about with forums, everyone chips in to help. I did check out Apmex, and it does have some nice offerings - thanks for that info.

Irons
12th June 2008, 16:26
Mostly ebay in the past, as there are or were great deals to be had if you had the time to hunt, which I dont have any more.(stupid job!):mrgreen:
My last purchase was from apmex and there no complaints here, less than a week fast secure shipping.I can highly recomend them.:D

averagejoe
12th June 2008, 20:08
My last 100 ozs. was from NWTM. They were pleasant to deal with but just as noteed earlier the delivery times stink. I placed my order on 4/24/08 and I called a couple of days ago and was told it would ship between 6/30 and 7/3 so it is an extremely long delivery time. Price wise though I deo think they beat most of the rest that I've been able to find though.

paker
13th June 2008, 19:46
Just bought a few Silver Eagles from Gainesville Coins yesterday when they were at $18.98. :D

amadeus
13th June 2008, 23:40
eBay,

I have the patience and time to browse while I'm "working"

I never pay above spot (shipping inclusive)

balou2
14th June 2008, 02:32
Just bought a few Silver Eagles from Gainesville Coins yesterday when they were at $18.98. :D

Curious though...how much was shipping? That's what I'm trying to determine here...where the best internet purchasing sites are. NWT is the least expensive site for just about anything I can find, if you meet their minimums (which aren't much), but they take forever to ship.

Argentum
14th June 2008, 13:01
My last shipment from from BD had the following shipping/handling charges on the purchase of:

1 American Eagle Gold Coin
50 American Eagle Silver Coin
1 10oz Silver - Bullion Bar (NWTM Pan Am)
2 Lot of US90% Silver Coins $10 Face (pre1965)(7.15 oz. ea)

Handling Fee: $5.95
Ground Delivery: $12.48

It was sent FedEx with sig required. Date submitted for product draw 5/13. Date delivered 5/26.

Hope you find this helpful.

paker
14th June 2008, 14:02
Curious though...how much was shipping? That's what I'm trying to determine here...where the best internet purchasing sites are. NWT is the least expensive site for just about anything I can find, if you meet their minimums (which aren't much), but they take forever to ship.

1 roll of Silver Eagles cost me $16.00 with a credit card for shipping, handling, and insurance, but I live about 20 miles from Gainesville Coins and I get my order the next day. Otherwise they charge $22.00. Apmex charges $24.95 for the same setup, and who knows how long that would take. The site says 2-5 banking days for processing!

Drumblebum
14th June 2008, 18:15
1 roll of Silver Eagles cost me $16.00 with a credit card for shipping, handling, and insurance, but I live about 20 miles from Gainesville Coins and I get my order the next day. Otherwise they charge $22.00. Apmex charges $24.95 for the same setup, and who knows how long that would take. The site says 2-5 banking days for processing!

Apmex is pretty fast. If the money is wired it says 1-3 days but my experience has been a matter of hours(ALWAYS same day), and shipping often happens next day.

paker
14th June 2008, 20:08
Apmex is pretty fast. If the money is wired it says 1-3 days but my experience has been a matter of hours(ALWAYS same day), and shipping often happens next day.

My bank charges $20.00 for a bank wire.

Argentum
14th June 2008, 20:29
I use online banking and it's free. :) But it does take an extra 3-4 days for the electronic check to be received. But NO clearing/hold time is required.

amadeus
22nd June 2008, 22:17
ALSO,

I keep an eye on local craigslist listings...

I mention this now because I'm meeting a nice lady tomorrow who is selling me 15 1oz bars/rounds for $220. :D

pkrebaum
24th June 2008, 06:54
I bought a lot from NWT last fall, due to their low delivered price and overall low markup. I did have to wait 4 months for delivery .....though their product quality is top-notch, esp. the 100 Oz. PanAm bars.

My sister bought a couple hundred ounces through Apmex about a month ago, she had her bullion in 2 weeks.... but paid a lot more markup than I did with NWT.

Has anyone here bought 1000 Oz. bars recently ? What's the wait for these ?
A long wait for 1000 Oz. bars would really point to an actual Silver shortage since they are direct refinery output and wouldn't have any fabrication delay.

anomaly
24th June 2008, 09:37
Has anyone here ever bought silver on the COMEX with the intent of receiving physical delivery?

SilverHawk
29th June 2008, 14:26
If anyone can beat Tulving, I wanna know ! !

www.tulving.com

I've looked in a lot of places. But not in the last 2-3 years.

Green Monsters and lots of 300 ASE. (300 coin lots so you keep it under $10,000)

Argentum
29th June 2008, 14:50
They have good prices, no question. I'm just not always in the market for dropping the $$ for their min order.

In general, I've always found that just about any dealer will give you a dern good price if you drop $10,000. But my oh my how things change when you only have $1,000, or $500.

balou2
29th June 2008, 15:18
I've priced every major dealer and Northwest Territorial is the cheapest at or around 100 oz. Tulv. is good, but their minimum is what...500 oz? That's more than I have at a time. I'm not a major investor...I try to pick up 100 oz. a month. Tulving would be good, but not at 500 oz. min. Yet...the drag about NWT is the delivery time.

SilverHawk
29th June 2008, 18:40
I hear ya. When I had big bucks, I did Tulving. Now I do coin shops with any extra money I have.

Tulving:
100 coin minimum, ASE, date their choice $1.89 over spot.

That good?

balou2
29th June 2008, 18:49
It's not horrible, but you can get rounds for much cheaper. When the time comes to sell silver, for silver's sake, it'll be by the ounce...nothing more. You get more bang for your buck on the rounds. Someone else mentioned earlier in this (I think) thread.

SilverHawk
29th June 2008, 18:52
NWT is currently $2.41 (per 60-480 coins) over spot vs. Tulving at $1.95 minimun 100 coin ASE

balou2
29th June 2008, 18:54
I hear ya. When I had big bucks, I did Tulving. Now I do coin shops with any extra money I have.

Tulving:
100 coin minimum, ASE, date their choice $1.89 over spot.

That good?

Where did you see minimum order 100 coins? I think their minimum order is 500 ounces on all silver.

SilverHawk
29th June 2008, 19:03
http://www.tulving.com/goldbull.html#silver

down in the silver section:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
THE 2008 EAGLE ARE

$1.95 Over Spot.

U.S. Government 2008 Silver Eagles

In Sealed Mint Boxes Of 500.

Our minimum is 100 Coins.

Free Shipping, Delivery and Insurance

For 500 Ozs. Or More!!

Year 2008 $1 Silver Eagle Are

$1.95 Over Spot And In Stock.

You Can Trade ANY Bullion Item (We Deal In) You Have For 2008 $1 Eagle.

SilverHawk
29th June 2008, 19:04
Looks like you gotta pay for shipping at that price...

SilverHawk
29th June 2008, 19:07
It's not horrible, but you can get rounds for much cheaper. When the time comes to sell silver, for silver's sake, it'll be by the ounce...nothing more. You get more bang for your buck on the rounds. Someone else mentioned earlier in this (I think) thread.

That's what I've been doing for the last 2 years

7nomads
29th June 2008, 20:28
Tulving's good, I've never had a problem. I like being to lock in a price on the phone. The bank wire works great and I got my silver 8 days after I got off the phone with them.

Unfortunately I'm with many others who can't make the minimum there.

branco
8th July 2008, 10:13
It seems all of you are from America. I have visited the sites mentioned in this thread but all are problematic if you want it delivered in Europe (actually most of them don't even have a "country" field to fill).

I live in a small country and it is impossible to get silver here as far as I tried unless I want my silver in knives or some other thing to make my house more pretty... no option to buy silver coins (well, I can get them from the bank with a 50% premium over spot since they say it has "collection" value) and silver bars I just can't find anywhere.

So, anyone in Europe that buys online and can give good references? My only investment so far has been speculation in the spot market and ETF exposure but would like to have the real stuff, even if its just to show my children.

Argentum
8th July 2008, 10:19
I've heard this comment from many a person who live outside the USA. I would think that a solid option for you would be to use eBay.

Are there additional risks or problems with shipping overseas that I'm not aware of?? I get plenty of mail shipped to me from different places. Just wondering.....

branco
8th July 2008, 11:27
Well, shipping outside the EU means I would have to pay customs tax.

But my main problem with eBay is trust... I don't trust it, I know... old school here.

the_moonbeam
8th July 2008, 12:10
Branco:
As far as eBay goes, I've had over 2,000 transactions, and never had a problem one, that couldn't be fixed. eBay can be a little steep at times, but the volume sellers that state that they ship to Europe, or wherever, can be trusted. Just my opinion.

argentos
8th July 2008, 16:23
It seems all of you are from America. I have visited the sites mentioned in this thread but all are problematic if you want it delivered in Europe (actually most of them don't even have a "country" field to fill).

I live in a small country and it is impossible to get silver here as far as I tried unless I want my silver in knives or some other thing to make my house more pretty... no option to buy silver coins (well, I can get them from the bank with a 50% premium over spot since they say it has "collection" value) and silver bars I just can't find anywhere.

So, anyone in Europe that buys online and can give good references? My only investment so far has been speculation in the spot market and ETF exposure but would like to have the real stuff, even if its just to show my children.

Have you looked at these people (http://coininvestdirect.com/main.php)?

Their office is in London and their warehouse is in Frankfurt.

You place an order, they email an invoice, you do an online money transfer, they send the stuff via UPS as soon as the money is in their account and the metal is delivered, insured, (in England in my case) via UPS. The whole thing takes about a week from start to finish.

As to references, don't ask online! You don't know who it is who is painting the rosy picture!

Do your own digging with a search engine, IMHO.

So far as ebay is concerned, be wary. There are good deals to be had, but a google search of "ebay scams" just now produced 754,000 hits and "ebay fraud" 461,000 (UK only).

nuslvrkwen
8th July 2008, 16:51
Thank you Argentos!! :o People need to really be aware there are places like this in Europe. More individuals are going to want to redirect their pre tax funds that are in 401k stock plans and stock backed IRAs into physical and into third party trust accounts.

I bet there are also places that work like Sterling Trust here in the US. So you can buy those coins direct from a refiner to hold them for you if you are trying to use them in a pre-tax funded IRA for example. I'm aware people aren't thinking this way because we don't physically hold the silver at the time of purchase. But you gotta admit having such an IRA would be a better hedge than just physical buying and holding. Or ETFs. Something like this - buying the physical and or using a reliable refiner that can hold your metal in an account that's not a pool account beats any stock that's being oversold in the marketplace any day!

branco
8th July 2008, 18:18
Thank you Argentos. But they are asking $28 for an ounce of silver... that is 55% over the spot market which I think is a bit steep. Seems silver, unlike gold, needs to pay VAT.

Maybe in Europe we're better off holding gold than silver if we don't want to lose 20% up front :(

argentos
8th July 2008, 21:38
Yes, VAT is 19% on silver in Germany, 17.5% UK, so gold (bullion and coins, not jewellery) which does not attract tax, is favourite.

But a lot of gold coinage is 1 ozt or larger.

Here’s a link to gold coins in London: http://www.goldline.co.uk/bullionCoinsPage.page

Back in the day, when gold money was currency here in England there were sovereigns and half sovereigns in gold and smaller coins in silver with the smallest being of less valuable metals.

Most of the sovereigns stayed in the bank or under the mattress and half sovereigns were the most used gold coin.

A half sovereign sells for at least £65 now and a loaf of sliced standard bread costs less than £1. Thus you would get more than 70 loaves for your half sovereign. If you only need one loaf, what will you take for change?

So it seems to me that IF TSHTF it will be advantageous to have at least some silver coins to exchange for smaller things you need. Even if you have to pay VAT now, it will be worth being prepared, at least on a small scale.

genesayssitdown
11th July 2008, 12:51
ebay. i go check out the sell prices for maples and eagles on the NWT mint webpage, then i take that price and apply it to ebay auctions, and bid so that my buy price on ebay including shipping will be the same as if i were placing an order from NWT mint.

balou2
11th July 2008, 13:34
ebay. i go check out the sell prices for maples and eagles on the NWT mint webpage, then i take that price and apply it to ebay auctions, and bid so that my buy price on ebay including shipping will be the same as if i were placing an order from NWT mint.

That's a good strategy, which I've followed many-a-time, but I'm curious...what's your success/win rate? I find that ebay prices on silver (even before shipping enters the equation) are well above spot, or what any of the major companies sell for.

You CAN get lucky on ebay. I got 3 ASE's last month for a combined price (including shipping) for what worked out to be $13.40 each.

Not to give away trade secrets, but when you look at ebay, sort by "newly posted". I find deals that way where folks list BIN prices for the purposes of liquidating PM quickly. That's how I got this deal, and several others. When folks need cash, they'll do whatever they need to.

branco
21st July 2008, 17:31
[SIZE=3]Have you looked at these people (http://coininvestdirect.com/main.php)?

Their office is in London and their warehouse is in Frankfurt.

Just to let everyone know that I did my first buy from these guys last week and I already received my silver (less than a week to deliver). I know some people are afraid to buy online so just want to assure some people that this guys proved reliable on my dealings with them.

My Pants Are Cold
21st July 2008, 19:48
A half sovereign sells for at least £65 now and a loaf of sliced standard bread costs less than £1. Thus you would get more than 70 loaves for your half sovereign. If you only need one loaf, what will you take for change?

Why, beer of course!:rolleyes:

argentos
22nd July 2008, 08:06
Just to let everyone know that I did my first buy from these guys last week and I already received my silver (less than a week to deliver). I know some people are afraid to buy online so just want to assure some people that this guys proved reliable on my dealings with them.

Are you in the U S of A? I thought they didn't deliver there.

branco
22nd July 2008, 14:20
Portugal, Europe.

That was why I was looking for a European dealer since my local coin shops only sell collector's coins...

argentos
22nd July 2008, 16:32
Desculpe me! I ought to have guessed Portugal or Brazil from your nic.

You are not aka Qubee, perchance? :cool:

redneck
23rd July 2008, 18:14
I just ordered 100 ozs.(the minimum) A-marks from ColoradoGold (http://www.coloradogold.com) for $1826 delivered with spot @ $17.36 .....=$.90 over spot/oz.,insured & delivered & they take personal checks) ...think it was on this forum that I was turned on to them.... someone said they had ordered & got their order in 2 weeks.
I've heard NWTmint (http://www.nwtmint.com) takes at least 2 months (but 50 oz. minimum & accept personal checks)
These appear to be best all-around deals to me

Keep buyin' & I say by winter we'll be grinnin' ear to ear:grin:

I pick up all my 90% coins on e-bay for about 89-92% of spot ( shipping included)

strongman shelford
26th July 2008, 20:07
Hi, I know there are lots of collectors, and silverbug Shere...
Please help me.

I am from South America. No silver bullion dealers here.
I need an easy , safe way to buy a silver bullion, storage, insure it cheaply.
I would like to know if you know any solution for this.
This dealer should let me bank wire my money and in case I need my money , CONVERT this silver to cash in the account and wire my money back
PLEASE HELP!

NO SILVER BULLION DEALERS IN MY CITY :-x

IDEAS PLEASE?

a very needy silverbug:-P

strongman shelford
26th July 2008, 20:31
and , the silver bullion dealer should provide me with physical delivery if I want it...
PLEASE HELP! :)

Hi, I know there are lots of collectors, and silverbug Shere...
Please help me.

I am from South America. No silver bullion dealers here.
I need an easy , safe way to buy a silver bullion, storage, insure it cheaply.
I would like to know if you know any solution for this.
This dealer should let me bank wire my money and in case I need my money , CONVERT this silver to cash in the account and wire my money back
PLEASE HELP!

NO SILVER BULLION DEALERS IN MY CITY :-x

IDEAS PLEASE?

a very needy silverbug:-P

mick silver
26th July 2008, 23:33
my coin shop 50 cents over spot on silver

oro-plata
31st July 2008, 13:31
and , the silver bullion dealer should provide me with physical delivery if I want it...
PLEASE HELP! :)

Try http://www.goldandsilverzone.com

They work under the US Patriot Act and multi-national clients.

pkrebaum
31st July 2008, 16:17
Gosh Shelford..... I sense a business opportunity here. Why not get an import licence and BECOME your city's bullion dealer ??? There must be many more people there who would like to have a neighborhood shop to buy from.
Just don't quit your day job unless you succeed first.....

mick silver
31st July 2008, 22:56
i buy from apmex , now i buy local coin shop paying with cashhhhh , silver i pay 50 cents over spot , not to bad , an made a friend when i need to sale , remeber you need a place to sale all so , so do a little business with your coin shop , look around for the best deals in town , call on the phone for prices , if your buying a lot , tell them for a better deal , hope this helps