PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Buying Slabbed Silver Eagles?

paker
6th June 2008, 21:22
I'm wondering if anyone buys the "collecting" side of Silver Eagles, as opposed to just bullion. I've read that coin collecting is dead due to the slow economy.

SilverHawk
7th June 2008, 02:16
I don't. I maximize my dollar by getting the cheapest 1oz. "rounds" my dealer has in stock. If they're dirty, I dip them in a silver cleaner I get from WalMart.

I might have to use them someday to buy a gallon of milk and a can of Ovaltene.

Maybe someday I'll collect them, but I prefer doing my own grading for my Dansco folder. I heard those grading agencies are getting sued left and right.

I'd like to start a proof collection, someday, first!

paker
7th June 2008, 06:29
I've never understood why anyone would collect "bullion" as they do currency.
The silver eagle is, to my understanding, investment material instead of legal currency, but it seems if it's minted it's collected. I can't remember seeing a maple leaf or libertad being slabbed though.

Drumblebum
7th June 2008, 09:28
I've never understood why anyone would collect "bullion" as they do currency.
The silver eagle is, to my understanding, investment material instead of legal currency, but it seems if it's minted it's collected. I can't remember seeing a maple leaf or libertad being slabbed though.

I have a few MS 69 SAEs but I got them at the same price I paid for the tubed ones, as my dealer ran out of 2008s - they were all he had left at the time. They are NGC 2002 at 2.00 over spot.

Don't matter to me anyhoo... birdie's a birdie as far as I'm concerned. I don't know enough (or care) about numismatics to stress over it. If they end up being worth more that's great - they certainly won't be worth less.

Scrap Metal
7th June 2008, 16:00
In the June 2008 isue of COIN Values magazine they report that 45% of the people who responded to their poll collect ASE's. I have a collection of the proofs. I have them all except the coveted 1995 W Proof, that sells for between $4,000 and $5,000.

The dealers that I use laugh at the idea of slabbing brand new coins from the mint. As reported, though, if you can get them at the same price as you can the others...why not? Just do not pay extra for them, as you will lose money.

clr8ter
7th June 2008, 18:59
When the 2006 SE anniversary set came out, I bought one. They were $100, sold out in a few days, & are now worth 3 times what I paid for them. I also bought a PCGS set, all 69's, that has not done as well, but still not a bad investment in the long term, I think.

tekhen
10th June 2008, 06:09
I have a full set of '86 - '07 NCG MS&PF 69 not including the 95W. This is for collecting and not "investment".

Hindsight... I would have gone to my dealer and not jumped the gun in the manner I did. I would have bought a Dansco album and properly choose with his guidance.

The money saved would have gone to a better set of Peace Dollars or $5'Indian Heads'

However, I will be keeping my slabs while my '08 and future purchases are and will not be in slabs.

Irons
10th June 2008, 16:59
Nope not buying.History repeats and its all going to get melted, buy bulk .999 and as much as you can.It all gets tossed into the same bucket.

balou2
12th June 2008, 04:27
When I first got interested in silver I purchased a whole bunch of slabbed ASE coins. Loved'em!!! Thought they were beautiful, and figured they'd be a good investment for the future. Then I got interested in Silver as a commodity. I still collect the Proof ASE's (I get 2 of each, which will go to my kids at some point), but don't buy slabbed, and don't buy off ebay.

I've learned that as a silver collector, the ASE is a fine idea, but the slab and BU condition is not what matters. If you're in it, it should be either for the collectability or potential numismatic appreciation, not as a silver investment.

I've gotten some good deals from bullion dealers on cull ASE's. Nicks, mars, bad pressings....you name it. Pay like $.25 over spot.

Trvlr45
15th June 2008, 19:59
I buy 50 proof SE's every year. I am new to this so I just started in 2007. Everything else is 90% Kennedy's and silver rounds. As many have said on this forum, silver is silver. It all comes down to what you think will happen in the market way down the road.

I will admit that I can get a lot more silver for the money if I stop buying proofs. The back up plan? If silver goes where some are predicting paying the premium for proofs won't make any difference at all. On the flip side. When silver goes to the moon and all the proofs are melted down I may decide to keep mine and who know's what they will be worth.

Phaeton
15th June 2008, 20:20
I have them all except the coveted 1995 W Proof, that sells for between $4,000 and $5,000.

OK really dumb question. I hear a lot about the 95 W. What's so special about it? :confused:

The Big Red 1
16th June 2008, 18:37
I don't buy slabbed ones. I think the proof & the other ones the Mint sells might return some decent money eventually. Everything I hear is that they are wildly popular with collectors, and you can't ignore that. I don't know if I'd buy 50 a year, or slabbed ones, but a few from the mint, sure.

Trvlr45
17th June 2008, 03:44
I agree. 50 a year is a little excessive and I won't be doing that next year. I think it is time to get more silver for the FRN's I spend.

mountainmurph
17th June 2008, 04:18
OK really dumb question. I hear a lot about the 95 W. What's so special about it?
There were only about 30,000 minted

The Big Red 1
17th June 2008, 18:06
Well, that's just the thing. Apparently if there were only 30K minted, and there are say, 1 million people wanting them, price willl go up. Also, this appears to be for the slabbed ones. Out of the 30K, how many came back at the highest grades? Probably not too many. Price goes up again. This is why I think they ane not necessarily a bad investment. We just don't know when it's going to happen again.

TBR1

My Pants Are Cold
17th June 2008, 18:32
Well, that's just the thing. Apparently if there were only 30K minted, and there are say, 1 million people wanting them, price willl go up. Also, this appears to be for the slabbed ones. Out of the 30K, how many came back at the highest grades? Probably not too many. Price goes up again. This is why I think they ane not necessarily a bad investment. We just don't know when it's going to happen again.

TBR1

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty damn sure 1995 won't happen again.