PDA

View Full Version : I want in, could use some advise

maki
4th February 2010, 15:32
I have been lurking on the board now for about a week or two. I have under 20 oz of silver, mixed bars and rounds and looking at the market of late, I want in. Cash reserves in good standing. I've recently read the Help Appreciated (http://forums.silverseek.com/showthread.php?t=366) thread and learned lots there.

I live in a small town with one coin dealer, he's tapped out. Online looks promissing but not sure where to start, plus I'd rather buy in cash. If you were getting into Silver and knew what you know now, where would you start?

Thanks in advance for your input.

skijake
4th February 2010, 15:41
If you're not scared to deal online go to APMEX or Bullion Direct and shop for most any Silver/Gold product there. In a week or two you'll have your purchases in hand and I'm sure you will be very satisfied.
Other members will suggest their favorites but those two are mine and I've never been disapppointed.
Best of luck. Good time to start stacking.

coctailer
4th February 2010, 19:22
Go to APMEX and place an order.

Doesn't have to be huge..........just something.

realmoney
4th February 2010, 19:55
I have been lurking on the board now for about a week or two. I have under 20 oz of silver, mixed bars and rounds and looking at the market of late, I want in. Cash reserves in good standing. I've recently read the Help Appreciated (http://forums.silverseek.com/showthread.php?t=366) thread and learned lots there.

I live in a small town with one coin dealer, he's tapped out. Online looks promissing but not sure where to start, plus I'd rather buy in cash. If you were getting into Silver and knew what you know now, where would you start?

If I was you and buying now, I would stick with Apmex and buy name brand rounds like Sunshine. Just don't shoot your entire cash wad in one shot.

My 2 oz

realmoney
4th February 2010, 20:14
WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

STOP.

You jumped around abit. Stop. buy some junk silver. the 90% silver- 1964 - and earlier- 1/2s, quarters- dimes.

you should have a good base of junk before branching off to rounds.

40% is also good.

Do not skip junk silver. If you do- then that is almost like not owning silver.

You're joking right? (especially about 40%)

SilverJim
4th February 2010, 20:19
WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

STOP.

You jumped around abit. Stop. buy some junk silver. the 90% silver- 1964 - and earlier- 1/2s, quarters- dimes.

you should have a good base of junk before branching off to rounds.

40% is also good.

Do not skip junk silver. If you do- then that is almost like not owning silver.

40% silver sucks and few want it so it will ba harder to sell later. Stay away from it. 90% junk is good, silver rounds, 10 oz bars and silver eagles are all fine and should be bought as and where good deals come up. No particular order.

coctailer
4th February 2010, 20:29

Why are you buying silver?
Retirement?
SHTF?
Both?

That will kinda tell what type of silver to buy.

I buy it for both reasons. I mix 90% currency and .999 bullion.

I don't bother with 40%

coctailer
4th February 2010, 20:34
I buy what has the best price. Much of it on ebay.

The poster has 20 ounces. That is starter status. What good is that if he has to trade it for a loaf of bread?

How much will a loaf of bread be?

coctailer
4th February 2010, 21:31
a loaf of whole wheat earth grains bread- which is priced at $2.49 right now- would then be $0.25, pre 64.

farmstands will take junk silver over worthless paper as will gas stations. so close to a quarter for a gallon of gas as well.

but not a full ounce round or eagle- so you would have to buy a batch- as no one is going to have change. sorta like the pizza guy - gets better tips if he has no change.

In SHTF, I wouldn't sell a loaf of bread for $100.(I imagine)

I won't pretend to know how many silver coins, or the denomination, it will take.
How could anyone know? Maybe 1000oz won't do it.

It may cost a 10oz bar, 1 Merc dime, 10- 100oz bars, one '64 quarter.............That is why I diversify.

It is a bit short-sighted to say what someone will take as payment if the "Bread Seller" is trying to keep his family alive.

Maybe silver will be worthless.

SilverMeTimbers
4th February 2010, 22:28

Hey new person, welcome! 20 oz? Nice! You are in a great buying time right now.... take advantage of it! But be prudent, Silver is very volatile; no one really knows were it will be next week. Buy now but keep some of your "buy cash" on reserve. It may go down, it may go up; get to know your ability for risk now and make your decision. Hell, even if you go all in you'll be ok for the long hold. Just keep in mind its volatile.

Do your research. There is a lot to know about silver and use this forum and other resources to learn as much as you can. Its your money, so know were it is going.

Personally I had shares in a silver ETF (SLV) but I soon learned more and sold. Silver in the hand is worth two in the exchange! Buy what you can hold in your hand and hold in you hand a mixture of bars and coins.

AMPEX and Bullion Direct are great on-line out-lets. If you at some point want to sell, they will be an easy place to sell the stuff back to.

Now get your ass a-stacking!!! :D

My Pants Are Cold
4th February 2010, 22:33
Hey new person, welcome! 20 oz? Nice! You are in a great buying time right now.... take advantage of it! But be prudent, Silver is very volatile; no one really knows were it will be next week. Buy now but keep some of your "buy cash" on reserve. It may go down, it may go up; get to know your ability for risk now and make your decision. Hell, even if you go all in you'll be ok for the long hold. Just keep in mind its volatile.

Do your research. There is a lot to know about silver and use this forum and other resources to learn as much as you can. Its your money, so know were it is going.

Personally I had shares in a silver ETF (SLV) but I soon learned more and sold. Silver in the hand is worth two in the exchange! Buy what you can hold in your hand and hold in you hand a mixture of bars and coins.

AMPEX and Bullion Direct are great on-line out-lets. If you at some point want to sell, they will be an easy place to sell the stuff back to.

Now get your ass a-stacking!!! :D

Agreed .

LETMYSILVERGO
4th February 2010, 23:05
does anyone have some unwanted 40% at a very attractive price to me? If so hit me up.

me too-------------

Sakata
4th February 2010, 23:22
does anyone have some unwanted 40% at a very attractive price to me? If so hit me up.

What is "attractive"? I have several rolls of them.

davidpark68
5th February 2010, 04:25
I'm a newbe to the board myself
try your local busy convenience store, usually a youngin' at the counter that could use some extra cash. show them what to look for (no copper strip, 1964 & before) offer them a reasonable amount (be generous & greedy at the same time, 10 x face usually works) make sure you leave them your # & remind them to put whatever they take out of the till back in. right now people are diggin' through their change jugs to get by.... some of them jugs been around a while. I pick up silver every week doing this, I even bought a hoard from someone the cashier knew.
EBAY..... Coin section (repeat for bullion) under sort by: distance nearest first, find all the locals selling coins on ebay. skip all the free shipping auctions, target the single coins. those without high numismatic value will usually go at or below bullion price. make sure you ask 2 questions, can I do a local pickup & do you charge sales tax..... try it, I built up quite a stack by doing this
BTW if your from south jersey this don't apply to you ;-)

davidpark68
5th February 2010, 04:28
Northwest territory mint has stagecoach silver that's divisable to a quarter ounce

Paul
5th February 2010, 11:04
I bought my first piece of silver for about 7 ($11.50) about 5 years ago. I still have the first one oz bar I bought. Over the preceding 5 years I have bought and continued to buy. Generally I buy on Ebay and try to average about 7.50 ($12.40) an ounce. Believe it or not I'm able to build a collection using that criteria. Sometimes - if I really like a piece I'll pay more, other times I'll get lucky and have a real steal.

If I was buying on the open market here in the UK, I'd be paying Spot, plus overheads and 17.5% tax (i.e. around 17 and ounce), that doesn't appeal to me much, so I continue to take my slim pickings from Ebay and little shops here and there when I spot a bargain.

Therefore when the spot price bounces around between $10 and $20 it doesn't hurt so much.

Why do I do it? Well if I had cash saved I'd spend it. It would be such a pain in the arse selling my silver I don't bother (unless it's absolutely necessary).

Jake
5th February 2010, 13:00
`````````````````

maki
11th February 2010, 17:53
Well I did end up going to bullion direct and purchasing 10 10oz bars at what seems to be an okay price. Used their nucleoexchange...hope it works out cause I just sent the check. Hate sending $$ through the mail as I'd rather pay cash. Anyways, great info guys.

I found someone locally with pre 1964 dimes, mixed Mercury & Roosevelts. They're currently asking $50 for a roll. From what I see, this seems to be a fair price but is it a good deal???

Sakata
11th February 2010, 17:57
I found someone locally with pre 1964 dimes, mixed Mercury & Roosevelts. They're currently asking $50 for a roll. From what I see, this seems to be a fair price but is it a good deal???

Sounds like it. Spot value is about $60 right now.

gottago
11th February 2010, 18:00
Well I did end up going to bullion direct and purchasing 10 10oz bars at what seems to be an okay price. Used their nucleoexchange...hope it works out cause I just sent the check. Hate sending $$ through the mail as I'd rather pay cash. Anyways, great info guys.

this should help you

http://forums.silverseek.com/showthread.php?t=214